Revolver Shackles

riffman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I know some of you were wondering about the revolver shackles for your explorers/rangers. I just got off the phone with them, and there are a few things that we have to work around. Unfortunately, they won't work with our stock rear springs. They won't work, because the eye near the stock spring is centered on the eye. It goes to the center of the hole, then wraps around the hole. The guy said that they had tried to design around that, but for the number of sales that they thought they would get, it wouldn't be worth it. So for the shackles to work, you would have to have aftermarket springs on, that have the spring starting on the bottom of the eye, then wrapping up over the eye.

As far as the wieght goes, they will work for the explorer. He said that they have put some on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton chevys, adn they work great. the ones we would need to get would be the ones for the ZJ or the grand Cherokee. They are just over $200 for the pair.

Just thought that some of you would like to know that....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Riff,

Thanks for the info. Are you going to run them? I have been planning to add additional lift(just after I put my lift on of course) by doing a spring over in the rear and using the Revolvers, and the ranger main spring mod.
I understand what you are saying about the spring eye, but how does that effect/interfear with the shackle? My first thought was that the rear overhang of the frame might cause some proBlems, but I guess not if they have looked at it.

Another question would be does the Ranger leaf have the same eye set up on the rear of the spring as the Explorer or is the eye wraped from the bottom as needed by the revolver people?

I'm not sure about the ranger springs. I can only assume that they are the same as the Explorer, because the guy i was talking to used them in the both sentence for not working.

I am also planning on running the SOA on my rear end, and was hoping to run those to increase downward travle. I know that you can buy rear springs for the Explorer that have the standard eye, but am not sure how much they are. If all else fails, I guess I could always order a custom set. But some how we can figure it out!!!

springs

No doubt about working it out. I have the left side lean like most so new springs wouldnt hurt.

With the spring over and the revolvers I think I should be able to run a fairly flat spring and get great articulation, esp with the revolvers.

Maybe one of the ranger guys will read this and fill us in on the spring eye config. for the ranger.

Originally posted by riffman
the ones we would need to get would be the ones for the ZJ or the grand Cherokee.

Just for the record!
The Grand Cherokee is a ZJ, and they run coils at all four corners. I think the part (not sure so I would ask) needed would be for the standard Chrokee or XJ.

I've seen the Hyper Shackles "hyper extend" on a Jeep. The shackle went verticle then kicked the opposite direction. It was a real pain for them to get the shackle back to the correct orientation.

Maybe they've fixed the problem by now.

Originally posted by mrboyle
I think the part (not sure so I would ask) needed would be for the standard Chrokee or XJ.

The ones that would be needed would be the YJ shackles. I have looked at many photos of the shackles and I do not see any reason why they would not work. Almost two years ago now I contacted them about the shackles and asked what the closed eye to eye measurement was for the YJ shackles. They would not even answer my questions about the YJ shackles, they just blew me off because I mentioned an Explorer. :fire: Obviously they have not changed their customer service policies at all in that time. The Ranger shackle is completely different than the Explorer shackle so to mention them in the same sentance means that they haven't even bothered to look. :fire:

Originally posted by mrboyle

Just for the record!
The Grand Cherokee is a ZJ, and they run coils at all four corners. I think the part (not sure so I would ask) needed would be for the standard Chrokee or XJ.

You know...actually...thats what he said.....not the ZJ

hey paul...were you the one that purchased a set from them at moab? he said that they had been working with someone from there for a while....said that whoever it was boutght em, and returned them cause they didn't work.

I actually thought that they were really helpful. He said that if i was planning on new springs later, then they would probably work.

Unfortunately, I don't really know about the rear springs, or their eyes very much (hence the vague desctiptions), so don't take what I said they said at face value. I was just trying to pass along what we can do to run the shackles.

Just thought I would try to clear up any confusion.....

I only played e-mail tag and didn't end up buying anything from them because they wouldn't answer my technical questions.

Ditto!

They were not helpful to me either.

Back