Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Cannot fill gas tank

Old 07-30-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
Bodog

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Cannot fill gas tank

The last two times I attempted to fill my gas tank I could only fill it half full. The gas pump at the gas station clicks off and won't allow any more fuel to be added. I tried three different gas stations in different towns. Today I ran out of gas so I know the tank is half empty when the station gas pump clicks off.
Where does the electric fuel pump gas line connect to the fuel tank? Is it connected to a float or is it fixed on the bottom of the tank?
What causes the gas station fuel handle to shut off the flow of gasoline into the Explorer?
Any ideas as to what is causing the gas station to stop filling the Explorer fuel tank?

Bob
1994 Explorer 152,000 miles

( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
'96explorereddiebauer
Clemmons, NC
'06 Honda Accord EX-L

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodog
Today I ran out of gas so I know the tank is half empty when the station gas pump clicks off.

Bob
1994 Explorer 152,000 miles

Never look at it as half empty but look at it as half full.

Haha...anyways...have you tried pulling the nozzle out just a tad bit?? I have that problem sometimes so I just pull the nozzle out a little and it filled up the whole tank. The reason, in my theory, for this to happen is because the sensor in the nozzle clicks whenever it senses gas going back up, hence the click.

'98 Honda Accord EX-V6
'05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Old 07-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
Bodog

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Actually I pulled the nozzle out as far as possible and tried to fill the tank but it still clicked off. I'm not sure but perhaps the fuel is being blocked on the way to the tank and backs up and forces the nozzle to click off...but then why is it only happening when we reach half full. Hmmm.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
rfuree11
Official Bikini Inspector
Boston

07 WRX Limited

Vehicle Specs

try filling it up without using the full force of the nozzle, like only pull the trigger 1/2-2/3 of the way

my cardomain site
Old 07-31-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
MONMIX
I fix dents
Millersville , Maryland

2000 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I have noticed a steeper angle on the nozzel helps too.

Live your life for a change
My Explorer
Old 07-31-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
huskyfan23
Rah no Hans Bwix
WA

1994 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I noticed this the other day. Had an almost empty tank and it would cut off every few seconds. I pushed harder and it filled fine. This was one of those pumps with the spring that you have to push against the truck to fill it up.

I'm no doctor, but I am a self-proclaimed genius. There's no reason not to trust me.
What kind of dessert causes women to gain the most weight? Wedding cake
Old 07-31-2004, 09:24 PM   #7
ammo troop
Perry County Ahia (Ohio)
1993 "BAD"Sport"

Vehicle Specs

I seem to have a problem filling my gas tank as well, seems to always happen the day before payday.........Sorry, I'm just a smart ___ at times

'03 Caravan (Wifes ride)
'87 Mazda 626 (aka Brown Bomber) 38 MPG and not much else!
Bucs..Still my boys Blue!!
Old 08-01-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
Opera House
Cincinnati, OH
97 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

So, did you fill the tank recently with the engine running?. This is a problem with the tank venting emissions system. If gas was filled with the engine on, gas could have been sucked into the charcoal canister and now it has a low flow. The venting solenoid could be stuck closed. This throws a code in later years because they put a pressure sensor in the tank. Your year won't give a code and the engine will run normal. Check small vent tube that is part of the filler neck for a kink.

Rule #7: Believing and seeing are often both wrong. (FOW)
02, 97, 92 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0L
Old 08-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
pmcmaster
Chelmsford (UK)
97 Estate

Vehicle Specs

I'll go with Opera House, most likely the 3/4 dia venting pipe is kinked/blocked as it can only be trapped air in the tank which is preventing filling.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:03 PM   #10
Bodog

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks to all of you for your comments and help.

Well, I've not attempted to fill the gas tank with the engine running. So that is probably not a factor.
This is such a simple system that it can be confusing. It seems to me that we are just dealing with moving air so something must have become clogged or bent in some way. I'll check the 3/4 inch vent pipe...that sounds logical. The air must not be escaping in the normal manner and rushes out the fill pipe and shuts off the filler nozzle.
I'm not sure of the location and connection of the fuel tank with the charcoal canister. I guess I need to brush up on the operation of the fuel system and its components.
I've not heard of the venting solenoid before. Opera House, can you give me some more information on that, location, how it is energized while fueling, etc.? That sounds promising, too.

Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:13 PM   #11
Bodog

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I took the car to the Ford dealer but he had never heard of anything like this. We decided to replace the fuel pump and the gas gauge sending unit since the sending unit was not working and checked the hoses and vents to the fuel tank. Nothing was amiss but when the whole thing was reassembled and the engine started everything was working as it should.
Thaks for your input, gentlemen.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #12
Charlie's_93EB
Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Venice florida

1993 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodog
What causes the gas station fuel handle to shut off the flow of gasoline into the Explorer?
Any ideas as to what is causing the gas station to stop filling the Explorer fuel tank?
well first i have a back story, a few months ago they opened a new BP station, so the 1st time i when there i start to pump my gas, and i hear some under my truck !!!!! sand , dirt and dried mud was shaken loose from the hose that goes from the filler nect to the gas tank and the hose was shaking then in clapsed in on it self and shut off the pump. so i tried pumping again "this pump had some kick" and it shut off again, so i just lifted the rear of the handleletting the gas in w/o hitting the hose, I guess?

2nd on the pump i looked at there was a small metal thing in the tube put of the pump.

good luck

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page