• Register Today It's free!

Engine firing order question

turkey1315

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I need to identify the number for each cylinder (left & right side) from front to back -- and the cylinder numbers for each port on the distributor from front to back, left & right side.

I want to be sure that I have them connected correctly because my engine appears to be misfiring after a recent spark plug change.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your engine arrangement is

3 6
2 5
1 4

Front of engine

But your coil pack arrangement goes like...

3 5
2 6
1 4

Front of engine

Yes it's weird but alot of times people go 4-5-6 on the right side like the 1-2-3 on the left and it runs like crap.

Later Doug.

Thanks for the reply, but I tried your suggestion and it doesnt seem to work any better, and actually runs worse. Are you sure this is the correct order for a 1994 Explorer XLT V6?

Thanks.
Ed

Doug904 said:
Your engine arrangement is

3 6
2 5
1 4

Front of engine

But your coil pack arrangement goes like...

3 5
2 6
1 4

Front of engine

Yes it's weird but alot of times people go 4-5-6 on the right side like the 1-2-3 on the left and it runs like crap.

Later Doug.
The engine arrangement is right, but I believe that you have 4+5 mixed up on the coil.

Yes, Eneurb and Jefe are indeed correct for the OHV engine (which you have).

DOh!! My bad, even I still get it mixed up. I know the right side is different but I got the numbering wrong.

Thanks guys! Doug

No prob... we're just lookin' out for ya!

Just a question 'Runnin' On Empty'. How can both Eneurb and Jefe both be right when the firing orders on the coil are different by each guy? Which one is correct? It would help me out alot! Thanks

Jefe and I have the same coil arrangements in our posts...

hippyheart said:
Just a question 'Runnin' On Empty'. How can both Eneurb and Jefe both be right when the firing orders on the coil are different by each guy? Which one is correct? It would help me out alot! Thanks
my diagram is correct, while Eneurb just stated how to fix Doug904's diagram

SOHC Firing Order

In case anyone's interested, here's the SOHC coil post positions:

5 1
6 2
4 3

Front of engine

The coil pack is flipped around on the SOHC, and this changes the post order from the OHV.

Thanks guys! My mistake!

Back