Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > New Members - Photo Gallery- Explorer Registries - Features - Reviews > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves to our family of Ford Explorer enthusiasts Welcome aboard!!

ABS brake problem on my 97 Explorer

Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
alvin
StAndrews, Fife
1997 4 liter

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
ABS brake problem on my 97 Explorer

Hi,I'm new in here,tried to post a new thread in the 911 section but says I'm not allowed or something.The ABS light is on,when you brake the pedal kicks back against you and makes a funny noise,sometimes it looses the brakes alltogether,any ideas?.Thanks.Mark
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
tonyd12345
Franklin, NH

'92XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

try doing a search of the site to see if anyone else has had these symptoms. And welcome aboard.

"Liberal: a person so openminded their brains have fallen out."
Next time you start griping about the government, thank a vet for the right to do so.
tonyd12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
outhouse
England
'99 XLT 4x4 4.0

Vehicle Specs

Welcome

There have been lots of threads about the Explorer ABS system, which seems prone to problems.

I've had problems myself but never had the ABS light come on.

The pedal and noise - are you familiar with what happens when ABS IS working? - cause this sounds like it is - pulsating pedal, brake noise etc. - so that bit might be OK.

But this should only happen on loose ground, snow, sand, gravel not on good surfaces. If it's happening all the time, then it could be the front ABS sensors or their setup (airgap seems critical). Have you had any brake or wheel work done recently?

Unless your very mechanically minded it's going to have to go in for repair, but search this site first and go with as much info as possible. Dealers over here haven't got a clue - 5 trips to sort out mine!!
outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
GSEREP1
VALLEJO CALIF
97 XLT 2WD 4 DOOR 5.0

Vehicle Specs

I agree with OUTHOUSE. The same thing happened to me a week ago when I changed Ford rotors for aftermarket rotors. The air gap between the ring on ther rotor and the fixed sensor is C-R-I-T-I-C-A-L. If it is too close, the ring will gouge the sensor, and if the ring is too far away, the sensor will not send a signal to the ABS system. This will cause an ABS light. I learned the hard way not to use aftermarket rotors unless they have the same air gap as the factory ones.

The dealership wanted $84.00 just to diagnose. I needed the brake fluid to be flushed, and the diagnosis would have revealed that the sensors were good, and the fault was in the rotors anyway. In short, a lot of money for diagnosis, and still more to allow them to repair everything.

In summary, if you have done, (or HAD DONE) any brake work involving the rotors, I would check that and the sensors again.
GSEREP1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page