• Register Today It's free!

Dying while idle

nnorton44

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I'm having a problem with my first-gen, a 1993 XLT. It just keeps dying whenever I am idling at a stop for a while, it doesnt happen all the time though. The engine will spudder and it feels like it is tryin to move while im on the brake. It then dies. Now this usually happens when I am below 1/4th tank but it recently happened at 3/4 tank. Every time it dies it starts right back up though. Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Idle Air Control (IAC) try cleaning that also clean the MAF(Mass Air Flow Sensor) those should help your problem.

Possible vacuum hose fell off the tree coming off the intake.

I agree with Chew.. most likely IAC problem... and cleaning the MAF can never hurt.
also might try scanning for codes.. just in case. Well, in my case, my CEL never comes on, and I had that problem with my Bronco2... I replaced the O2 sensor on it, and my dying-at-idle problem went away.
but of course, on these newer vehicles the O2 ain't so cheap, so start with the IAC and cleaning the MAF.

"The engine will spudder and it feels like it is tryin to move while im on the brake." Could you explain that a little more. An engine dying and vehicle taking off at the same time!

i'm not an expert on automatic transmissions, but it sounds like there may be something putting too much stress on the engine while at stop. You could see if that might be the case by putting it in drive and NOT pushing the gas pedal, just let it move at idle speed. If it does die when idle moving, you might have a problem with the tranny. THIS is the reason i drive a manual, always.

Opera House said:
"The engine will spudder and it feels like it is tryin to move while im on the brake." Could you explain that a little more. An engine dying and vehicle taking off at the same time!
Actually its more of a shake, the RPMs will fluctuate and the car shakes and dies.

hermitrl said:
Possible vacuum hose fell off the tree coming off the intake.

Sounds like a classic loose vacuum line to the idler, or a clogging fuel filter.

This happend to me it was a servo in the throttle body.

Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Change your filter and do a pressure test.Maybe your FPR or vac to it.

I had a problem with my '92 FPR when I was stopped at lights. Sometimes it would die, other times it would get a really bad shudder and then just clear up. Took a while to figure it out. Cut open the FPR and the valve seat was worn on just one side because of a spring that was off center. Sometimes the valve plate would slip off center and stick open. A rare failure that I found by monitoring pump current. Another symptom was occasional knocking on hills. If you have a meter, monitoring pump current is a good way to diagnose if this is fuel related.

I have a similar problem that I need help with. I have a 92 Ford Explorer that dies at idle soon as it gets hot. This started a few weeks ago like this. After driving it for a while, then shutting it off for a bit, and restarting it, it would then die when idling. Thought maybe it was vapor locking. Always started right back up. Now it is dying every time it is at idle after it is warmed up. It still starts right back up. The fuel filter has been replaced, but its still happening. The truck runs fine while its moving, but as soon as I slow down in traffic or at a stop light, it dies. Help please :)

LindaD said:
I have a similar problem that I need help with. I have a 92 Ford Explorer that dies at idle soon as it gets hot. This started a few weeks ago like this. After driving it for a while, then shutting it off for a bit, and restarting it, it would then die when idling. Thought maybe it was vapor locking. Always started right back up. Now it is dying every time it is at idle after it is warmed up. It still starts right back up. The fuel filter has been replaced, but its still happening. The truck runs fine while its moving, but as soon as I slow down in traffic or at a stop light, it dies. Help please :)
Your problem could be one of all of the above as well. FPR perhaps. That would be the first thing i'd check after the pressure and vacum lines. Make sure the FPR has a good vac source to it. Good luck
Peace

Ok maybe problem solved with new IAC and throttle body cleaning. Now it will continue to run but after a few mins will idle down to almost a stall and then pick it'self up to normal idle without pedal magic. Little test drive coming up to see how things work out

Thanks for the help....:)

did you reset the computer when you replaced the IAC? if not, that *may* help

there is a line from the vacuum tree to the right side of the vehicle. One to the brake booster, another to what i think is the idler. there is a diaphram inline, and usually the tube falls off this diaphram. Check it man.

Well we thought we had it licked. Drove it a bit yesterday with no problems at all. Then it did the same thing while waiting in line at a drive through, started idling low, sputtering, then died when I pulled out on the street.

Either the FPR or the fuel pump, if nothing else is visible would be my guess still. Do a pressure test.

may also try the fuel pump relay....
similar problem in my Bronco2.. ended up hard-wiring a +12 to a switch that goes to the fuel pump from the relay (or maybe it was the starter relay)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotta love my Ford....lol

Anyways took it to 3 shops to have tests run on it.
Shop #1: Did Fuel Pressure Test, and found it a tad high but not out of wack completely. Also ran a computer check and found only 1 code for the MAF sensor but said that it was because both the fuel pump and pressure reg needed to be replace along with a tune up because I developed fouled plugs from the above problems. Total bill was just under a grand for repairs if I did them. I asked him if he would spit polish it with all the spit I was spraying in anger as he was telling me .... no charge by the time I left.

Shop #2 Had it for a day and a half and couldn't find anything wrong with it. They ran the same tests as above plus ran most of my gas out by leaving it running to try and get it to do what I described.

Now totally frustrated and losing money from not working it was onto

Shop #3
Same as Shop #2

Of course as the old addage goes.... take it to a shop and symptoms go away. At all 3 shops, it never once quit running, sputter or anything. Of course tomorrow it will leave me high and dry in the hot Vegas desert.

Back