New Amsoil cone air filters available now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Amsoil cone air filters available now

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
New Amsoil cone air filters available now.

I am ready to order and am not sure what size I need. I have the weird shaped Mac filter now.

Does anyone know the deminisions of the S&B filoter that comes with the KKM or a K & N?

Thanks .....

-----------------------------------------
AMSOIL# Product Style Flange
Type Base
OD (in) Flange
OD (in) Flange
Length (in) Media
Height (in) Top
OD (in)
EaAU3570 Round Tapered Center 4.625 3.50 0.625 7.0 3.5
EaAU4090 Round Tapered Center 6.000 4.00 1.750 9.0 5.0
EaAU3050 Round Tapered Center 6.000 3.00 1.750 5.0 5.0
EaAU3051 Round Tapered Center 6.000 3.00 1.750 5.0 4.0
EaAU3590 Round Tapered Center 6.000 3.50 1.750 9.0 5.0
EaAU4560 Round Tapered Center 5.875 4.50 0.625 6.0 5.0
EaAU3090 Round Tapered Center 6.000 3.00 1.750 9.0 5.0
EaAU3555 Round Tapered Center 4.625 3.50 0.625 5.5 3.5
EaAU3560 Round Tapered Center 6.000 3.50 1.750 6.0 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
New Amsoil cone air filters available now.

Does anyone know the deminisions of the S&B filoter that comes with the KKM or a K & N?

I'm not quite sure about your question so my answer may or maynot help. The I.D of the neck of the filter on my K & N intake with tube is 6". It's 6" long with a base O.D. of 7.5" and a top O.D. of 4.5". The filter for that goes on the K & N kit that has an adapter plate only has the same neck I.D. but is 6.5" long and also has a wider O.D. at the top.

Good find Al. I am going to check the dimensions of my KKM/S&B filter and its adapter and see if AMSOIL has a comparably-sized filter.

How much are the filters? Comparable to K&N? Are they better?

Green98XLT said:

For example ....
list price

$54.70 for a EAAU3570

They should be better than anything out there.

Green98XLT said:

I like the fact you don't have to oil them which can cause problems if not done correctly. The cleaning instructions for Ea filters (regular ones) are very basic. Pretty much just vacuum out the crap and no fluids needed. If you believe what they say, they filter better than paper (cellulose) or cotton/oil, and are less restrictive at the same time. Best of both worlds. Amsoil isn't known for cutting corners. My Amsoil rep told me he attended a recent session on these filters and Amsoil is very bullish on them. A lot cheaper than the "Green" filter I scored recently. I ordered an Amsoil one one today. It should be here in a week or so since my closest warehouse doesn't have them yet but they are expected shortly. I can wait. :thumbsup:

K&N aren't necessarily the "best". They just have the best marketing! I did a lot of research into cotton/oil filters lately and I settled on Green because they use higher quality cotton and seem better constructed. As a result, they need less oil than other filters. Out of the box it didn't even looked oiled, whereas K&N always look saturated to me. That can cause grief down the road.

More Amsoil info-> Dead Link Removed.

The advantage is (according to the marketing guys) that this filter remains at a fairly constant airflow over it's life, and as it gets dirty. The oiled filters quickly degrade as they collect dust, as do cellulose filters. The reason is that the synthetic media is on the outside, and is supposed to prevent dust from entering the filter media, which is why it can be cleaned so easily. Cellulose and oiled filters are based on the concept of the dirt embedding in the filter media, plugging it up and reducing airflow.

The new air filter is installed

My supply of the new Amsoil EaAU Air Filters arrived today.

This new cone filter is definitely a quality product. Its features are well described at https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx .

My Mac filter was just about ready for a good cleaning. Also its mounting flange was torn; most likely a result of under hood heat.

I installed the EAAU3570 filter by removing the Mac filter’s hose clamp and filter, cleaned the mating surface of my 73mm C & L MAF ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136883&highlight=C&L+MAF ) and installed the new Amsoil filter and secured it with the included clamp.

A road test demonstrated no difference in intake sound as compared to the Mac filter. A trip to Atlanta next week will determine its effect on gas mileage; I don’t expect any.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,799
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3,560
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3,546
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,645

Mine arrived today as well. I got the larger model with the longer flange (3560). Fits my Volant box like it was made for it. Did yours have a slight coat of oil on the flange? I was a bit puzzled about that. It looks like any other oil/cloth filter upon close inspection, but the cleaning instructions on the box suggest otherwise.

I am very impressed with the quality of construction of these new filters. The silver cap with the Amsoil logo looks very nice. Definitely not "baby blue" like I thought it would be in the photos. I've used AFE (spec'd on Volant), K&N and most recently Green. I was very impressed with the Green filters, but the Amsoil offering is definitely a step up. You can tell it's a quality product as soon as you take it out of the box and the price is better. Only time will tell if there are performance or mileage gains. In theory there should be becuase they're less restrictive and don't get clogged up as fast.

The coating on the mount flange appears to be silicone. I am sure its there to (1) protect the rubber and (2) facilitate slipping onto the MAF.

aldive said:
The coating on the mount flange appears to be silicone. I am sure its there to (1) protect the rubber and (2) facilitate slipping onto the MAF.

Good points.

I wonder if the surface area of the AMSOIL ea filter (pictured in post #8) is about the same as the surface area of the MAC filter (also pictured in post #8)...

The AMSOIL filter looks longer, but not as wide.

The surface area appears to be about the same.

Curious, did you just make your choice on the measurements (i.e. flange size, and length)? Looks like you got the largest filter that would fit in there.

What are you going to do with all of your free time now that you don't have to spend the time cleaning and oiling the filter and just have to dust it off once a year? ;)

Also curious if there is anywhere to get an aftermarket intake without the filter, to save money (since I'd want to use the EaU). They just seem somewhat expensive to justify, IMO.

rizzjc said:
Curious, did you just make your choice on the measurements (i.e. flange size, and length)? Looks like you got the largest filter that would fit in there.

What are you going to do with all of your free time now that you don't have to spend the time cleaning and oiling the filter and just have to dust it off once a year? ;)

Also curious if there is anywhere to get an aftermarket intake without the filter, to save money (since I'd want to use the EaU). They just seem somewhat expensive to justify, IMO.

Rizz, for my Volant application, I was very lucky because the model I got is almost identical in dimensions to the one that came with my Volant. That's ironic because Green only had one offering that was available for my application and it was much smaller (and they have a much broader product line). K&N had one as well and it was hard to get and they have a huge product line. It's cool that Amsoil has so few filters right now, but I was fortunate to get one that worked for me perfectly.

If you're trying to save $$$, maybe just use one of those eBay adapters and clamp the filter onto your MAF. Also consider an ASMI intake, then just ditch the filter they send.

I was even more wasteful. I ordered the whole kit and ditched the filter and mounting hardware. I just used the intake tube. If I can find the adapter and hardware, I'd send it to you real cheap, it's of no use to me. You'd be able to rig something up using the OEM tube most likely. Least I could so since you brought this Amsoil thing to my attention in the first place (now if only you had done so before I bought the Green!). Warning, the parts could be anywhere in my messy garage.

PM me if interested.

Rhett said:
I wonder if the surface area of the AMSOIL ea filter (pictured in post #8) is about the same as the surface area of the MAC filter (also pictured in post #8)...

The AMSOIL filter looks longer, but not as wide.

Here is a comparison pic ....

Attachments

• amsoil_mac.jpg
    amsoil_mac.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,450

BrooklynBay said:
According to this picture, they make 3 different lengths:
Dead Link Removed

Actually, as per Amsoil's Dead Link Removed, they have 5", 5.5", 6", 7" and 9" (when measured by filter length). When you factor in the flange length (adding it to filter length), you get even more options.

aldive said:
Here is a comparison pic ....

I have the MAC intake and stock MAF as of now.. so my question is will this fit my X??

Thanks
Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rage1973 said:
I have the MAC intake and stock MAF as of now.. so my question is will this fit my X??

Thanks
Jeremy

Sure will; its fits well on mine.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,408

Back