Another quest …. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another quest ….

This is just a hobby for me it is not how I make my living.
I personally hope Aldive can solve the stumble but I am under the impression it is just a question of the engine balance, being mounted on rubber mounts, and well just the nature of a Ford V6.
I am not trying to stir anything up either I just like to toss in my 2 cents here and there.

My cammed V8 does not idle so smooth, in fact now when I drive the BII with the factory v8 I cant even tell if its running hahaha

Everyone has a right to there own opinion. 410, you're okay in my books. (If that amount's to a hill of beans?)

Okay Aldive, if something is wrong, you'll figure it out, I know.

I went ahead and took a vid of my truck thinking I could upload it but the darn camera is to old. Not one port to upload, just an AC out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a discussion forum right? hahahaha I always like to pretend its just like sitting around the campfire with friends shooting the shi* you can always give your opinion

Al how did that coil pack work out as far as the idle goes. The reason I ask is that is has been 2 weeks now since I installed the MSD DIS-4 ignition, and have enjoyed a smooth idle ever since. If in my case the poor idle was related to the spark, what effect has the higher spark voltage had?

--Joe

It definitely improved the idle, but did not solve the problem.

Slightly off topic... Al Are you still using the Lund Windjamer?

--Joe

Another positive step in attaining smothers.

I remember reading that Kevin ( Monmix ) eliminated the hose from the valve cover to the Mac intake tube and installed a breather on the valve cover and plugged the opening in the Mac.

Well, I decided to give it a go to see how it might affect the idle. Further, when swapping throttle bodies recently, I couldn't help but notice the oily residue. By eliminating the tube to the intake tube, this should eliminate the oily mess.

After making the mod and starting the truck, I did notice a smoother idle; not perfect, but better than before.

Al
I am pretty sure the air entering thru breather is metered---
I am not sure what open air breathing may cause---???

I do know, in the troubleshooting section on pro-m's old website ( i printed all the sites pages) it say's the breather must be located in the intake tube, downstream of IAT sensor and maf.

So far so good. Kevin has had his for years with no worries.

Not trying to be anti-syn oil.....but, if the crank case breather tube was connected to the air stream.....via that hose that comes off of the valve cover to be added down stream of the MAF but before the TB.......could the syn oil fumes (as opposed to traditional dino) be a factor??

Since, you are running at the extreme lean end, in a quest for the MPGs? Or, is the lean A/F mix only when you're tooling down the road?

Aloha, Mark

Not trying to be anti-syn oil.....but, if the crank case breather tube was connected to the air stream.....via that hose that comes off of the valve cover to be added down stream of the MAF but before the TB.......could the syn oil fumes (as opposed to traditional dino) be a factor??

No.

Since, you are running at the extreme lean end, in a quest for the MPGs? Or, is the lean A/F mix only when you're tooling down the road?

What extreme lean end? My A/F is not lean.

Have you tried a compression check of all cylinders? You may have an imbalance there. Have you replaced your injectors? You may have one or two that are a little of there also. The list can go on and on.
Good Luck!

The motor is very sound. It yields over 200 RWHP on the dyno and over 30 MPG on the highway.

The motor is very sound. It yields over 200 RWHP on the dyno and over 30 MPG on the highway.

I'm well aware of your vehicle's performance (and impressed). I'm simply suggesting possibilities for poor idle. You could have imbalanced compression or fuel injection, particularly at low (idle) rpm, that doesn't affect higher rpm performance.

I'm well aware of your vehicle's performance (and impressed). I'm simply suggesting possibilities for poor idle. You could have imbalanced compression or fuel injection, particularly at low (idle) rpm, that doesn't affect higher rpm performance.

Read the thread
it has been stated, several times, he has nothing "wrong"

He is trying to make his v-6 idle smoothly, like a v-8

READ

I agree with jtsmith, i have the sohc motor and i noticed an crazy idle, and after i installed the crankcase breather, its a much smoother idle at about 500 rpm, and it runs just fine no noises no nothing!

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's been my understanding that a 6-cyl engine just won't idle smooth like a 4-cyl or 8-cyl, due to the imbalances of a 4 stroke cycle with only 3 pistons on each side. While this isn't any help, it's a possibility for why the idle isn't ever perfectly smooth.

Also as an observation, though my X has the 4.0 OHV and not the SOHC, the idle isn't ever really consistent in terms of smoothness. I notice it idles extremely smooth at one stoplight, and then idle a bit less smooth at the very next one. I notice this in almost every vehicle I've driven too, only very new ones seem smooth almost all of the time. You might have to evaluate the smoothness overall, as it might be difficult to get a consistently smooth idle across a range of conditions.

If all of the systems are working as designed and you're still not happy with the idle, a special tune for the idle to be as smooth as it can and/or softer motor mounts might be the last possibility.

these newer engines idle very lean. I used my excalibrator and made the idle 15% richer raised it to 750 and it's smooth as glass now.

these newer engines idle very lean. I used my excalibrator and made the idle 15% richer raised it to 750 and it's smooth as glass now.

What is your A/F at idle?

What effect on gas mileage did the procedure produce?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is exactly what I was suggesting earlier--
I would think considering the minimal time the engine is idling--the difference in fuel economy would be hardly noticable.

Back