Trying to fit double DIN into a 1.5 DIN opening | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to fit double DIN into a 1.5 DIN opening

Lil98Sport4X4

Former DSMer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
State College, PA WE ARE... PENN STATE!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sport Trac Ltd V8 4x4
Hi all,

I've skimmed this forum for some advice/pics concerning the install of a double DIN HU into a 1.5 DIN opening. I guess the thing to do is to cut or trim the opening to accomodate 2 DIN HU's. Could someone please post pics of their 1.5 DIN to 2 DIN conversions? Maybe we could get the post as a sticky for this forum for future reference.

Thanks!
Jamie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are talking about a major modification, that I doubt many here have done. You would probably have to refigure your entire center console (ac/heat controls). Are you trying to install a cd player or dvd player with flipout screen?

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to squeeze my CD HU (full DIN) w/my DSP/EQ (full DIN) into the 1.5 DIN opening. If this will entail major work and hacking to my dash, I'll just go another route. I read a couple posts about cutting the dash apart to fit 2 DIN HUs and wondered how it looked.

Are there any 1.5 DIN aftermarket HUs out there? I haven't been able to find anything.

like this?.................

Attachments

• carputer 045.jpg
    carputer 045.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 19,380

kyjelly.jpg

Sorry I had to

Justin,

Real nice job on the dash and console. Did you construct the dash yourself, or have someone else do it?

So where do I get a dash like that? I need one! :D

Schoshe makes the double DIN kit you'll need. It is only like $8 and is available at sounddomain. You will need a dremel tool and about an hour to do it.

haha 410 funny, I did'nt think it would fit guess I was proved wrong. Very suprised though!

Here's the link

justin146 said:
Schoshe makes the double DIN kit you'll need. It is only like $8 and is available at sounddomain. You will need a dremel tool and about an hour to do it.

adding the link to this thread in case somebody is interested
Double Din Kit

the opening in a explorer is bigger then a 1.5 din but just a hair smaller then a 2 din opening all you need is the 2 din install kit and trim a little bit from the top and bottom of the radio bezel a dremel makes the job real easy

wow, the price on the double din kit came down huge. I used that in my 96 ranger and it was a pain in the ass but when done it looked great. I payed $25 about 5 years ago. I have an 02 explorer and all I did for my head unit and slave unit was used some backstrap brackets, screwed the two units together and took the bracket off the stock unit, screwed that the the slave unit on the bottom and it was in. About 15 minuites of figuring if it would work out and some epoxy and triming of the two trim rings, looks like a pro job.

I have to get a screen like that, please help!

It is not hard at all. You just buy the kit and shave the sides with a dremel tool like mentioned above. A little patience and a steady hand. Then install the double din kit and your screen. I have one in mine. I have a Pioneer Avic Z-1 and I only have night time pics of it soo I will not post pics. You cannot see the dash. Just the glow from the head unit.

Ya... Thanks man, Your ride is Awesome by the way. How do you like Pioneer Avic Z-1? How much you pay for it? I think im going to sell the thing I got and get a double din one like yours.

It is not hard at all. You just buy the kit and shave the sides with a dremel tool like mentioned above. A little patience and a steady hand. Then install the double din kit and your screen. I have one in mine. I have a Pioneer Avic Z-1 and I only have night time pics of it soo I will not post pics. You cannot see the dash. Just the glow from the head unit.

A little off topic, but since you have a Z1--

Does the GUI offer a heads-on view? As opposed to the overhead GPS map view, can you set it do you see it as if you were driving? I wish I could explain it better, but my Garmin runs at a 60 angle view. I want to pick up a Z1 this summer and replace the Garmin, but only if Pioneer's GUI is sufficiently similar. Thanks. :D

DJ - I love the Z-1. I paid for it online for 1,700 after tax and everything shipped. Not another unit out there better in my opinion.

Adam- Yes you can set it to where it has head on view. Or you can set it like a map looking down at the city, or you can set it to show slightly raised up head on view, split view....there is like 6 or 7 different settings.

So i just got my Avic D3 and i was wondering if the install for it is easy or not.

i have never done an install before but all the shops here are charging around 400 bucks. i really do not want to pay that much for something that i think could be done myself.

my questions is that the d3 is a double din. how much work is it to put it in? will there be a lot of custom work to put into it? i heard behind the stock unit, i have to cut off a peice of plastic that is blocking the space to fit in a true double din.
i know i need a dremmel. anything else i need to look out for?

are there any tools that i need in particular to remove the stock headunit?

Where can I purchase a custom console or dash bezel like the one in that first photo?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where can I purchase a custom console or dash bezel like the one in that first photo?

Holy Old Thread Bump..

You can't purchase one like that. He made it himself.

Back