Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Tow Rig Forum

Notices

Tow Rig Forum Towing, hauling, boats, campers, trailers etc... Trailer hitches, weight distribution, hitch ball, safety chains, tow bar and brake controllers. Discuss it all here!

How To: Installing a Transmission Temperature Gauge

Old 03-02-2007, 06:33 AM   #21
ExploringNC
Hickory, NC
'98 XLT, '91 EB

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
I've had it in for over a week now and I can't keep my eyes off it. It's amazing watching the temp go up and down, it respondes instantly when your pressing on the gas. I didn't relise that the temp fluctuated so much, even when you down shift the temp responds. This was a real good mod, simple and cheep.

Uwharrie 2010

BrooklynBay's List of Useful Threads
ExploringNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #22
99SportX
Duluth, MN
1999 Ex & Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am betting you will see more fluctuation with the sensor mounted in the cooler line than if you were measuring the bulk fluid temperature in the pan. That temperature would change a lot slower (I would think anyway).

99SportX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #23
glfredrick
Elite Explorer
Louisville, Kentucky

86-98 Ranger STX

Vehicle Specs

I had mine mounted into the pan. It wasn't too bad to do. Just drilled a hole large enough (and in the right spot so it didn't interfere with stuff inside the pan!) to thread in a pipe bushing that would hold the probe end, then I welded it into the pan and sealed it with some silicone, just in case. It lasted through 2 transmissions... (which goes to show that temp isn't the only thing that kills trannys -- mine lost all the springs under the drive clutch plates!)

It will read slower, and it will also not show you the temp of the fluid coming out of the front pump and torque converter like a line-mount sensor will.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably opt for the line mount. For a real killer setup, you could use an electric guage and switch it between two or three probes just to cross-check temps. Be an interesting study at least... See how hot the TQ is compared to the overall temp of the transmission, or the effectiveness of the coolers.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #24
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I used a B&M drain plug kit- my electric sensor threaded right in- it does double duty sensor mount and drain plug.
MountaineerGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #25
foxy
lobethal south australia australia
9/99xlt ur

Vehicle Specs

Guys, I installed a B&M unit with a electrical sender and mounted the guage on top of my dash as we out here have rhdrives it's tucked into the rhwindow colomn .I wandered why you changed from the outlet pipe before the radiator because that's where I've put my in line filter .Hot oil flows better but I've put the temp guage on the return and I 've found even towing a 2 ton van the temp hardly gets above 100 degrees F on the return oil but then I've put an extra oil cooler on as well it's certainly a worthwhile mod Cheers Barry
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 AM   #26
foxy
9/99xlt ur

Vehicle Specs

just forgot to mention the bulk of the filter also adds as a cooler and you use extra oil Cheers Barry
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #27
ExploringNC
Hickory, NC
'98 XLT, '91 EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
If you put the sensor after the coolers then by the time you may notice it overheating then it may be too late. I put it before the cooler so now I know the max temp that I'm getting.

Uwharrie 2010

BrooklynBay's List of Useful Threads
ExploringNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #28
foxy
9/99xlt ur

Vehicle Specs

okay, now I understand but if the oil flow back into the tranny is too hot then that to is a worry ???
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #29
V8BoatBuilder
Transplanted Bostonian
East Brunswick, NJ

97 Mountaineer V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's an alternate way to install a transmission temp gauge (from my registry page, dated 3/21/03 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=73405 ):

After reading of the success of installing an auxilliary transmission filter in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...r&pagenumber=1
I decided it would be a worthwhile mod. I also wanted to add a transmission temperature gauage and needed a place to mount the sender.

I decided on a generic filter mount rather than a kit, so I could fabricate everything just the way I wanted. I ordered the TD products #:TRD-1028 Single PH8A filter housing from Summit for 12.75. I picked up a bunch of brass fittings from Home Depot, and 3/8" hose from Autozone.

I struggled to find the ideal mounting location. I wanted to run a full-height filter, have it vertically oriented, be easy to change and be out of the way of rocks off road. I found the ideal spot to be right behind the passenger side bumper.

I fabricated from brass fittings the inlet/outlet for the 3/8" hose and the attachment point for the Autometer temp sender.

It is plumbed in between the two transmission coolers. The circuit runs from the transmission, into the radiator cooler, out to the filter, to the auxilliary trans cooler, and back to the transmission.

The hose for the filter required relocated the vacuum reserve sphere for the climate system from above the plastic fender lining. Fortunatley, there was plenty of space below the MAC intake, and there were even holes in the sheetmetal!

I was not impressed that ford ran the transmission lines under the already low radiator. I cut them back to above and behind the radiator and ran new rubber hose. The hose will be permanently secured soon, and a skid plate will be installed.

The finished install:

The temperature gauge mounted in the center console:

After the failure to convert the in-dash oil pressure "gauge," I am putting in an autometer electronic oil pressure gauge.

I removed the complete plastic inner fender this time, not just the rubber "access door." I also removed the low-pressure power steering hose for easier (hah!) access to this cramped location.

I used 1/4" brass pipe to extend the T fitting away from the block to clear the senders. I hooked up the stock 6psi switch in addition to the Autometer sender. I wanted to retain the functionallity of the idiot light/gauge on the dash, and not compromise the accuracy of the Autometer system.

Day two consisted of installing the gauge inside the cab. I also installed a transmission temperature gauge at the same time. I wanted the gauges mounted in the center console, I'm not a fan of the A-Pillar as it reduces visibility and could be a potential hazard for my head in a severe crash.

I cut out the bottom "pocket" from the center console, and epoxied in some black plastic.

The gauges were mounted, due to tight clearance issues underneith the console, I had to cut down the Autometer mounting studs and cut the clamp brackets in half. The gauges are secure enough without the clamp, it just adds some rigidity. The +12v, dash lights, and ground come from the radio. All connections are crimped and heat shrunk. Connections in the engine bay for the senders are crimped, soldered, and head shrunk.

Final image:

On Road: 2006 VW Jetta TDI/6spd DSG. Fill it with diesel, please.
Octopus Yachts, LLC Engineered Marine Electrical Systems
V8BoatBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #30
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
After seeing this again, I remember reading it a while back, very nice work. On my next trans fluid change, I plan to do something similar, though my temp sensor will remain in my pan. Nice work on the gauge install
MountaineerGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #31
V8BoatBuilder
Transplanted Bostonian
East Brunswick, NJ

97 Mountaineer V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerGreen View Post
After seeing this again, I remember reading it a while back, very nice work. On my next trans fluid change, I plan to do something similar, though my temp sensor will remain in my pan. Nice work on the gauge install
Thanks Evan!

When I installed my message center, I move the MC buttons to the side of the center console and put my two gauges where the buttons where. I can't find a pic on my computer, but I'll post one.

I don't see much fluctuation at all on my gauge due to it's position in between the coolers.

On Road: 2006 VW Jetta TDI/6spd DSG. Fill it with diesel, please.
Octopus Yachts, LLC Engineered Marine Electrical Systems
V8BoatBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #32
CBII
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
91 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Just thought I'd say thanks for all the info. It came in very handy when I decided to install the temp sensor and gauge.

here's a pic...

87 BII - 2.9L, Manual, D35, 31" BFG MT's, 4" lift, James Duff(radius arms, shocks, bushings), Cobra CB, tons of other cool stuff.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #33
turborich
Las Vegas, NV
2004 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

The best location for the temperature sensor is in the transmission pan itself. You will not get a very accurate reading when it's mounted in the line like shown.
turborich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #34
one chance
loudon, va
97 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been reading alot of these post. ONe of the best places is the trans pan. But even easier than that. No drilling, cutting. just need a 10mm socket and rachet and remove the test port on the side of the trans. Install the sensor and run you wires. PRESTO!!
one chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
mounty71
It's green, not gray.
San Francisco, CA

'00 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Was looking under the hood yesterday and on my truck with the 5.0, it looks like there's barely enough of a straight section of line to fit the T with fittings in that area, unless I went down to the section in front of the steering cooler. Would it be ok to go from the metal line ---> rubber hose ---> barbed fittings ---> T, instead of using flared fittings on the metal line? If I did it that way I could be a little more flexible with where I place everything.

mounty71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #36
mounty71
It's green, not gray.
San Francisco, CA

'00 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

I decided to put the sensor down by the steering cooler due to easier access for the pipe cutter and flare tool, which is about as far away as I could go with where I wanted to mount my gauge.

But now I'm dealing with leaking flare nuts. I'm thinking that if I can't get them to stop leaking, I might cut off the flares and exchange the flare fittings for barbed fittings and rubber hose. Can anyone confirm if that will be okay to use rubber hose on a transmission line?

Old 05-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #37
mounty71
It's green, not gray.
San Francisco, CA

'00 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Actually I'm thinking about it now and obviously rubber hose should be okay since there are rubber hoses to and from the trans cooler.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #38
one chance
loudon, va
97 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Alright this is my first write up. So here we go. Here is the trans temp sensor installed in trans test port.
first things first. Guages!

here is the sensor and 2 adapter it comes with

add thread sealant to threads of sensor.

depending on your style sensor you have. you most likely will have to use the second port I show Like I did near the rear of the trans on the right(pass) side. the first pic is located by the MLP. Left(driver) side. (THE TEST PORT IS 11MM, not 10 like I had said previously)

here is the second test port

just above the exhuast

next which I for got to take pictures of, run a wire from the sensor to your guage, connect power and ground to guage and test.
Now your probably thinking the temp reading is off. well with my nicely price hand held temp reader pointing at the pan and comparing it to the guage. reading are hand held meter 151 degrees. and on the guage right on the 150 degree mark as well!! NO CUTTING OR DRILLING !!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
one chance
loudon, va
97 explorer

Vehicle Specs

sorry about the pictures. I took them with my phone.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #40
mounty71
It's green, not gray.
San Francisco, CA

'00 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

You couldn't have posted this three days ago??? Haha.

I ended up cutting the flares off the lines and switching to trusty ol' rubber hose and hose clamps. And no leaks! Screw flares and flaring tools and flare nuts and all that junk. Too difficult to get it right.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page