Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Elite Explorer 911!

Notices

Elite Explorer 911! 911! is for situations where your truck is currently out of commission and the owner is in a crisis situation. Members will try to answer your questions asap, no time frame is guaranteed. Only Elite Explorers can post new threads in this forum

Explorer 'bogging Down' Help !!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
turnbulltj
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Please help, can't rev above 3000rpm.

Good afternoon Guys. I am new to this forum, but have found some of the readups extremely helpful. I have an 97 4.0 V6 Explorer, which suddenly about 2 weeks ago went from running superb to seriously bogging down and losing power. It runs but will tick over very lumpy and will not rev out over about 3000rpm when stationary. On travel it will increase speed gradually, but will lose power if I floor it. I have read the forum and done the following on the advice of others, but still to no avail.

Changed the MAF Air Sensor
Changed complete exhaust system including Cats.
Changed Oxygen Sensors (Lambda) in exhaust.
Changed Air Filter
Changed Spark Plugs (One of which was serioulsy cracked)

I have also read about resetting the engine whenever you have had a tinker, but do not know how to do this???
The engine also now seems to go from ticking over nice to running as though it has lost a cylinder. In general it has gone from a nice smooth V6 to a gutless problem. I would be most grateful of any help or advice. As you can see I am going through the relatively cheap processes of elimination and am just hoping that it is not something like a timing chain slippage. My gut feel having had a tinker is that it is something small and insignificant, albeit a bugger to diagnose. Please help, all suggestions gratefully received and definitely tried, I just want to get mt beast back on the road. Being a predominantly USA vehicle we have very few experts over here that we can turn to for advice on these monsters. Thanks again. Will keep you posted guys
Trevor

Last edited by turnbulltj; 10-15-2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: changed title
turnbulltj is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Bwana Bob
Morris Plains, NJ
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bogging

I just went through a similar problem.

Could be bad petrol, but I suggest that it is a fuel starvation problem. Check the fuel pressure at the test port on the fuel rail. It should be about 35 psi and rise to about 40 psi under acceleration.

Also, replace the fuel filter. A clogged filter will cause the truck to bog down even under gentle acceleration, even though fuel pressure reads normal at idle. (When I replaced my fuel filter, last weekend, there was an instant improvement, though she is still recovering).

Bob

Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Bwana Bob
Morris Plains, NJ
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I forgot to mention:

The fuel filter requires a special fuel line disconnect tool. It is the same type of snap-together fitting that is used on the air conditioner plumbing. I believe that the 1/2 inch size is correct. Do not attempt to disconnect the fuel lines without this tool.

Bob

Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! Did you do a compression test? You mentioned that one plug was broken. Do you have a smell of the engine being flooded? You could have a bad engine coolant temperature sensor. Check the timing with a timing light. The camshaft or crankshaft position sensors could be out of alignment.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
rmcknight
Melbourne, Australia
2004 4.6 SOHC v8 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Right on the money Aerostar man! You need to know if its running rich / lean first!.
As you have just done the plugs, you must ensure you put the leads on right as its easy to confuse 2 of them as it goes 123 465 or something special like that!
If you haven’t replaced the leads you should to those next as they should have been replaced with the plugs anyway. + you should put double platinum's in.
Next you might have a vacuum leak into the TB (after the MAF) or right into the upper intake manifold (this is a very common issue) + a nice little job to fix.
If you do fix that & you have the SOHC - you should also do the front cam tensioner at the same time for about $30.00 (if that hasn’t already been done). the 1997 + 1998 year 4.0s are poorly designed to say the least, possibly deliberately designed to cost you money even!
rmcknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
ThePhoenix
Unregistered

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana Bob View Post
I forgot to mention:

The fuel filter requires a special fuel line disconnect tool. It is the same type of snap-together fitting that is used on the air conditioner plumbing. I believe that the 1/2 inch size is correct. Do not attempt to disconnect the fuel lines without this tool.

Bob
and its not easy to get off...
Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
sahtt57
Houston, tx
04 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Based on what you've said, a broken/misaligned timing chain is not likely but possible [same with cam sensors]. I'd start with a compression test, specificially on the cylinder with the broken spark plug. After that, I'd make sure each cylinder is actually firing both on idle and under load [say 3k rpms]. If the rev's will go above 3k, it's not the MAF. Then I'd go back to making sure the timing is all correct.

At that point, move on the the fuel system if you are getting adaquate spark. You can start by testing the ohm's of the injectors resistance, then the fuel pump. My bet is you'll have some progress by then. Look here for checking the fuel system ford explorer fuel problem Also, none of the above should cost you anything besides an ohmeter if you don't have one and some free time. Good luck.
sahtt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Willard
Elite tree-smasher
Bloomington, Indiana

04 Ranger Edge

Vehicle Specs

Had a similar problem, turned out it was a clogged fuel filter (I had 0 pressure) and a dead injector. Test your injectors. If you have a manual it tells you how.

'04 Ranger Edge DD "Black Knight"

You want to see my face?

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
mecp_316
B
wichita ks

95 xplorer xlt 4.0 v6

Vehicle Specs

hey curious i have a 95 xlt 4.0L it sputters when started as well sometimes dies an you have to give it couple hrs an fires up fine it throws a check engine light ocassional but not storing any codes took it to 2 shops they used different scanners as well they just say waiting for codes... so dont know where to look at i checkd the idle air valve the resistence reads fine ??
thanx!!
mecp_316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
chuckar
West Michigan
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Did the fuel filter solve the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana Bob View Post
I just went through a similar problem.

Could be bad petrol, but I suggest that it is a fuel starvation problem. Check the fuel pressure at the test port on the fuel rail. It should be about 35 psi and rise to about 40 psi under acceleration.

Also, replace the fuel filter. A clogged filter will cause the truck to bog down even under gentle acceleration, even though fuel pressure reads normal at idle. (When I replaced my fuel filter, last weekend, there was an instant improvement, though she is still recovering).

Bob
Hi B Bob,
Did the fuel filter solve the problem, or did you end up having to replace the fuel pump?

Chuckar
chuckar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
turnbulltj
1997 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ended up being the inevitable timing. Recon engine with new timing gear and a 1000 quid later and everything is just fine again . Still worth it though.
turnbulltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
DAMN! I was betting on the fuel filter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Thanks for the update! It sounded like a timing issue.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: