Keep your combustion chamber clean Oil Seperator | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keep your combustion chamber clean Oil Seperator

Found the item on Ebay. Should be installing next week. Thanks for the useful information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This can be done with the OHV as well, right?

Answered my own question there. Was an easy afternoon project for me to do. I went with the Craftsman Oil Separator that many of you have, used 5/8" heater hose, a corner brace to mount the separator assorted elbows and connectors to put it all together.

Some have commented earlier that using heater hose might not be the best idea. Well, the hose did say that it isn't meant for oil transport, but it also said that it was resistant to high heat and oils. :scratch: So, I guess since not much oil should be going through it, especially for the outlet hose, things should be fine.

Here are some pics...

Parts used
Truck Suspension and Oil Separator 007.jpg

Full view
Truck Suspension and Oil Separator 008.jpg

Close-up of Separator Positioning
Truck Suspension and Oil Separator 013.jpg

Close-up of the Bracket
Truck Suspension and Oil Separator 012.jpg

The bracket was a corner brace that had the same hole spacing as the separator mounting holes and I just drilled a couple holes into the fender lip and mounted it up.

Nice job and looks great too!

Thanks. I figure it was a good time to do it since I just had the throttle body, intake manifold and basically the whole upper half of the engine cleaned when I needed gaskets replaced.

I'll try and report back on how much oil I'm capturing over time.

Final installed my PCV filter/ Oil Separator and it was an experience. After working on my Bronco II's for so long the Explorer should have been easy, was I ever wrong. Finding the PCV valve was interesting to say the least. I didn't expect to find it in the back of the engine by the firewall. After removing the cover plate and shedding some light, I found it talk about a tight fit too.

pcv1.jpg

Poped the old PCV valve out and was alittle different from the new one, So added a brass T connector to the 2 hoses.

pcv4.jpg

Next part was fun dropping the PCV valve back into the hole and reattaching all the hoses. Clamped it down into place then run 2 hoses from the PCV and the manifold.

pcv7.jpg

Finally finish off with placing the separator and zip tying into place. Place the cover and start the Explorer up for a test which went fine.

pcv9.jpg

Sorry for the dirty engine have to work on cleaning it up some. Hmmm what is next.

talk2dan and gator Jeff
Very nice job, Great pictures too.

Gator Jeff,
It looks like you put your seperator on the frech air side where others are installing them on the pcv valve side.Let me know if I am wrong. I am curious to see how oil you get from there as compared to the ones installed on the pcv valve side.
I am thinking that putting a seperator on the pcv side may keep the engine valves clean, and putting one on the fresh air side will keep the throttle body clean. Hmmm.

talk2dan and gator Jeff
Very nice job, Great pictures too.

Gator Jeff,
It looks like you put your seperator on the frech air side where others are installing them on the pcv valve side.Let me know if I am wrong. I am curious to see how oil you get from there as compared to the ones installed on the pcv valve side.
I am thinking that putting a seperator on the pcv side may keep the engine valves clean, and putting one on the fresh air side will keep the throttle body clean. Hmmm.

Yeah, you are correct. I did this after a really long week and under the influence of pain killers. And yes, they were prescribed and actually at less then the prescribed dosage. Anyway, I realized what I did, but rather than undo it, I am keeping it on the fresh air side. There was a coating of oil throughout the original hose so I think you might be right about the throttle body. I haven't seen any accumulation yet, but it's only been 400 miles. Can't hurt at least.

Anyway, I wound up installing a filter on the PCV side as well and I've already collected about a 1/2 teaspoon of oil in that same 400 miles. I'm definitely giving this mod a big thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Who still has the little foam filter in their separator?

Threw a CEL last night and noticed that my separator's little filter had become hard and stained with oil.

This morning, I pulled the collection jar, removed more oil (wow it's scary how much was going into my intake before this mod) and removed the filter. I put the jar back on, disconnected the ground for a minute to clear the CEL and went to work. So far I've driven about 80 miles without it returning.

I went with the Craftsman Oil Separator that many of you have

Do you have to order it through the catalog? Or was it at Sears? I don't see it on the Sears website any where.

Do you have to order it through the catalog? Or was it at Sears? I don't see it on the Sears website any where.

I got mine in store. It was with the compressor accessories. I'd imagine it's in a similar area on line although I'm not a fan of their website:thumbdwn:

It's on the Craftsman website. Sears part #00916008000, model 16008

00916008000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

My PCV set up

trying to keep them valves clean.

Attachments

• pcv4.jpg
    pcv4.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 8,734
  • pcv 2.jpg
    pcv 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 8,826
  • pcv3.jpg
    pcv3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8,762

Very nice! You'll have to report on how much oil you're catching. I've been catching a lot. I'm back to stock right now because I have to take it in. :(

Hmm, guess I'll be going to the hardware store. Going to see how much oil it will collect in my high compression 302/B2. It has those large 2.02 intake valves also which might be pulling a lot of oil contamination thru my PCV. IMO.
My vacuum guage shows around 20 inches of vacuum, which means this baby is sucking.
I just changed to Mobil 1 and it seems to burn less already.
This might compliment the system.

PCV and oil separator kit

(97, V6, SOHC) It’s long ago, that i cleaned my air intake, iac, maf and throttle body. First time I was reading about this oil separator kit, I thought it would be a good investigation to do this little mod.
Because I also have to replace the knock-sensor, the upper and lower air intake must be removed anyway. The whole intake has a thick deposit of grime on it and I think it comes from the crankcase
ventilation. The PCV valve is the one thing that I really don’t understand. There is a little spring in there, but the PCV valve doesn’t shut in any conditions. What is the real job of this small thing?

15898089am.jpg

15898090pj.jpg

15898091hh.jpg

So if I would like to install the oil separator properly, what is the right way?
At first connecting the PCV valve directly with the separator inlet,
secondly connecting the separator outlet with a t-connector
lastly connecting the hoses to both sides of the intake?

15898092tb.jpg

If any components will be in clean conditions and I perform the separator install the right way, I hope the engine idle will be stable without sawing vibrations going up and down.
I know it’s an old thread but my explorer is an old vehicle too and he needs continuously attention.
If anyone has a little hint, I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance and kind regards from Europe

Wolfgang

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pcv

The PCV is supposed to back seat during a backfire to prevent pressure from entering the crankcase and popping the seals/gaskets out.
Good luck on your install, looks like good parts you have there.

Back