• Register Today It's free!

Help with cooling system

roys truck

Reaction score
City, State
louisville, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
Let me start by saying my 1995 explorer was running fine. The water pump started to leak out of the weap hole, so i replaced the pump. That's where the problem started. I now have temp guage fluctuation and thumping sounds in the hoses. Have replaced the radiator hoses, thermostat and radiator cap. Have had the coolant system flushed and purged of air.
Took it to a mechanic yesterday and they seem to think it a cracked head or head gasket. No other signs of this though. Could i have possibly gotten the wrong pump. As i said before, it was running fine before the pump replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did you purge the air in the system?

Not sure if purge was the best word to use. But the shop that did the flush was positive they got all the air out. When i filled it i used a lisle coolant funnel.

I usually just fill the system up, start the engine and let it run till it starts cycling the coolant through the rad. Keep topping it off until it won't take anymore and put the rad cap on. Fill the reservoir and should be fine after that, just check the level now and again to make sure the level is up.

Other than that, I don't see any other reason why it would keep the air in the system. The thermostat has a bleed valve in it so a little bit of coolant keeps cycling through the rad. Did you change the thermostat in it? If you did and did not use a Fort OEM, maybe it doesn't have the check valve in it and is not bleeding the air out of the intake.

I usually just fill the system up, start the engine and let it run till it starts cycling the coolant through the rad. Keep topping it off until it won't take anymore and put the rad cap on. Fill the reservoir and should be fine after that, just check the level now and again to make sure the level is up.

Other than that, I don't see any other reason why it would keep the air in the system. The thermostat has a bleed valve in it so a little bit of coolant keeps cycling through the rad. Did you change the thermostat in it? If you did and did not use a Fort OEM, maybe it doesn't have the check valve in it and is not bleeding the air out of the intake.

All good points hoppy, especially the thermostat deal. Make sure the bleed valve in the thermostat is up and not down when it is put in (hopefully the new one has one)

Yeah the t-stat does have a hole in it and it is up. Took it out again to make sure. I have read some other threads about having to install a different water pump or some sort of bypass kit. What confuses me is I've had no problems with the cooling system for over 130,000 miles.

does it have heat ?
does it overheat ?
aside from the noise, any problem ?
put the correct amount of coolant in the resevoir ,make sure , and call it good,,
the air will come out , and over a few heat and cool cycles it will work out the air, than in a few days make sure the resevoir is at the right level, ,

Sounds like air in the system.
Do like Hoppy said in post #4 AND have it parked on an incline so that the front of the X is higher than the back. That will help the air escape.
Been there w/my 96 X...worked for me.

Heat works fine. Not really overheating but the gauge will go almost to hot then drop quickly to just above cold. Have tried parking on incline.
Think i am going to pull the pump back off and make sure its the right rotation. Maybe i got a bad pump. I used a remanufactured one should have went with new.

remanufacture is not bad,, and if you got it from a relaible source, like autozone or something like that , pretty sure it is the right part,, not sure there is one that goes the other way ,

give it a few days and see what happens,

I just realized my new t-stat doesn't have a bleed hole. Supposed to just drill one?

that would help,,make sure the spring thing on it goes down in the hole , ,

Is the T-Stat in backwards? Can it even be put in backwards on a Ford?

Back