Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Hesitation going into reverse

Old 12-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Andy96XLT
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Hesitation going into reverse

Hey everyone,
Over the past few months I have noticed that my 96 explorer hesitates when I shift it into reverse when I first start it. The hesitation is longer depending on how cold it is. It eventually does go into reverse relatively smoothly, but sometimes takes up to 10 seconds. If I put it in drive it goes pretty much right away. Once the car is warm there is no problem. Is there anything I should worry about or is it just something that happens with the cold weather? I believe I have the 4R44E trans (automatic) and just had the tranny flushed and filter changed 5K miles ago. Thanks!

Andy96XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
There can be several things contribute to this. One is normal wear. Have the trans serviced and adjusted and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
96eb96
Albany, NY
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy96XLT View Post
Hey everyone,
Over the past few months I have noticed that my 96 explorer hesitates when I shift it into reverse when I first start it. The hesitation is longer depending on how cold it is. It eventually does go into reverse relatively smoothly, but sometimes takes up to 10 seconds. If I put it in drive it goes pretty much right away. Once the car is warm there is no problem. Is there anything I should worry about or is it just something that happens with the cold weather? I believe I have the 4R44E trans (automatic) and just had the tranny flushed and filter changed 5K miles ago. Thanks!
You have a 4R55E BTW. I would check the the fluid level after driving 10 minutes. Let it idle in park on a level surface, set parking brake, pull the stick and check that its toward the top of the dipstick marks. Sometimes they inadvertently under fill the trans a bit after a major fluid service, and cold weather will amplify this issue. Add fluid in 4 oz intervals, wait a bit till it goes down the tube, and recheck. These units are very sensitive to low fluid levels. Do not overfill above the marks. Don't worry about 1mm over though, you get the idea.
96eb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
dmac0923
Yorktown
2002 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy96XLT View Post
Hey everyone,
my 95 does the same thing except the o/d light is flashing as well

1969,1970 Mustangs
dmac0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Andy96XLT
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
As stated above I did just have the transmission serviced. I will check the fluid levels tomorrow though to check and see if maybe I am just a little low on tranny fluid. I think that makes sense.... thanks

Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
You could add the TransTec Viton D ring low/reverse servo kit, Sonnax end plugs with O rings, and a boost valve with O rings. If this doesn't help, then you might need a new EPC solenoid, and valve body gaskets. The reverse modulation valve could be sticking. Check the pressure in reverse with a 0-300 PSI test gauge. Sometimes the valve body bolts get loose, and need to be re torqued.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
When you had it serviced, did you have the bands adjusted?

Many times when you have a delay like this, it's because things have worn to the point that it just takes time to fill the servos, clutches, etc. Clearances are more allowing a bit more leakage, pressures are down just a bit, and so forth. All can add up to an engagement delay. Especially when cold. But I admit...I don't think I've ever seen one that took 10 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
my98nnj
Boonton, New Jersey
1998 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Mine takes a second or two to fully engauge into reverse.
I don't worry about itm, fluid is nice and clean and it shifts nice and crisp once it's going.
my98nnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Andy96XLT
96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Sorry I have neglected this thread ha, BrooklynBay, Thanks for the info but unfortunately I have no idea what any of that means ha. And Cobra I do not believe any of the bands were adjusted, just a new filter, fluid, and gasket.

edit: also I don't think it takes a full 10 seconds... maybe 6... I am about to go out for the first time this morning. I will time it this time ha.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page