• Register Today It's free!

A4LD linkage adjustment.

tyfishing

Reaction score
City, State
Hesperia CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
85 4x4 ranger
I'm trying to find out how to adjust my 85 Ranger 4x4 trans linkage. I bought a book (haynes) but there is no illustration on the lever detent pawl or therearward drive detent stop etc etc, So I don't have a clue what they are talking about. I'm a pretty good backyard mach. But I'm stumped because of the terms. Got any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the transmission section. Are you trying to adjust the shift cable for park, reverse, and drive or are you trying to adjust the kickdown cable?

I'm trying to find out how to adjust my 85 Ranger 4x4 trans linkage. I bought a book (haynes) but there is no illustration on the lever detent pawl or therearward drive detent stop etc etc, So I don't have a clue what they are talking about. I'm a pretty good backyard mach. But I'm stumped because of the terms. Got any suggestions?

85 Ranger has a floor shifter correct?

Also has a bell crank assembly under the truck, not a cable

Adjusting is done by disconnect the linkage from the transmission
put the trans in N and the shifter in N, adjust the linkage so it matches up, re mount to transmission

Then try all your gears and ensure its in the correct position, FYI this is done with the truck supported from rolling and NOT RUNNING LOL
Your all metal linkage likely needs new rubber bushings, you can get them from Ford, they are a PITA to change out without the right tool

Thanks for the input It's snowing right now so as soon as there's a break I'll get out there!

FYI iad a bell crank assembly in my 88 truck, I was using a 93 A4LD with a 86 BII floor shifter

when wheeling the body would flex and pop the trans out of gear...

there are cable shifters you can use,(Hurst, Art Carr, etc) or you can convert to column shift from a 89-90 Ranger and completely do away with the metal bell crank assembly

Back