How to replace 94 4.0L camshaft Position Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace 94 4.0L camshaft Position Sensor

blairwag

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Hey,
Looks like I need to replace the CMP on my 1994 Ford Explorer 2 door 4WD (4.0L). I've been getting an intermitten 214 error code, but that recently became steady, though the engine was running ok. Of course, the weekend I went away skiing, my wife broke down. Took it to my local mechanic and come to find the CMP is the culprit (or so he says). I figured as much. He wants $605 for the part, and $105 to install it. Ah, I don't think so - I'll do it myself.

I found the part for $350.00 at a local NAPA. I'll get it and install it tomorrow.
I have the Ford service manual set for the truck, but I'm hoping for some "Real" R&R help from you all.

I believe the CMP is located near the rear of the engine, on top. Right?
How to remove and replace it *WITHOUT* the use of a SST to sync the sensor?
I've read that it's possible, but no one has posted a good procedure that I can find. I did find some help for 1998 and such 5.0L engines, but I'm worried the procedure is not the same.

If you can help, please help. I'm really hurting without my truck, and I can't afford to pay someone to fix this.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me too!!!

It seems cam sensors on '94 X's are all going at the same time. I just came back from the diagnostic shop myself with a 214 code. They told me to replace the cam sensor and housing.

The shop called Ford and was told the sensor is no long made. You stated you located one at Napa. I think I'll try my local Napa and see if they have the part before I try the wrecking yards. The diagnostic shop told me $789 for the part and $189 to install. That's California pricing.

You too, huh! Well, ford may not be making the part, but Standard still makes it. I was able to find the part at just about every parts store around me, in NJ. They didn't have it in stock, but could get it from a local Warehouse or DC by the next day. Wells makes (or made) the part for CarQuest - but that is suddenly on national back order. So, your tip about manufacturers not making might have some reality to it.

When I took the truck to my local mechanic for the 214 code, they gave me similar pricing: $650.00 for the part, and $105.00 to put it in. I just couldn't stomach that. So, I found the part at Napa to be the best price, at $350..0 + tax (total $374.00). But putting it in seems to be far more challenging. I'm not sure how to do it, and the Ford shop manual I have is written for the mechanic who removed the engine from the vehicle.

So, I'm hoping someone out there can fill me in a little - maybe from experience?

Lots of trouble

This CMP sensor has been nothing but trouble. This forum has stated there isn't a special tool for removing/replacing the sensor. My local Ford dealer has told me there is a special tool for a '94 and if it's not done properly the part can be ruined. The shop where I took her for repair has told me there's a special tool for calibration. She's been in the shop for the last 2 days and now they're telling me she won't be ready until tomorrow, because they're waiting for the "special" tool they need to calibrate the sensor.

I feel like I'm being taken for a ride by the mechanic. I hope you don't have as much trouble replacing the thing as I'm having. I'm very upset with the whole procedure. Especially when the mechanic won't guarantee the labor with a part I provide. Sooo, if he screws up...I'm scre_ed out of a $400 part and $200 labor.

try pin-n-pull and e-bay. i did mine and got it on e bay for $50. and didn't use the tool. be ready to take the upper intake off for better access. good luck

I have one for sale for the DIY

Know I'm a little late to the party... but if anyone's looking for a CMP I'm selling a new one for a 1995 - $175. From what I read, it should fit a '94 as well... but you'd have to verify that for yourself.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217349

also on FleaBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...adiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220243363085&

There is no tool for the CMP on 95 and older... you have to set the crank at TDC I believe and install with the position indicator in the correct zone. A bit of a science project.

Does anyone know weather a 94 and 95 are interchangable. And is there a way to check the sensor off the car/drive unit?

1994 camshaft sensor

ive been looking for three days for a camshaft sensor theres none available.

sensor

I see a guy on e-bay has new ones on hand $275.

thank you very much ;)

Does anyone know weather a 94 and 95 are interchangable.

I wonder that as well since the listing at the local Advance Auto Parts has the cmp, my 1995, for $35.00.... I can't see Ford changing that sensor from year to year for any particular reason...

napa

I finally got a sensor at napa but only used the sensor part as couldnt find the tool to replace the whole part it cost me 409 dollars.

i bought my whole 94 engine running for 100 CAD plus the 100 dollars to pull it (cause im lazy) from a local JY who the owner is a friend. odly, it was for a 94 WE own, and other engine we bough came from a 94 and had no sensor!??? it also has no EGR and the new 4.0 has a EGR. so we had to switch the driver side manifold, and the bolts do not like being removed. unusually both engines maifolds came off with only one bolt broken, on the old engine so we didnt care.
I wonder that as well since the listing at the local Advance Auto Parts has the cmp, my 1995, for $35.00.... I can't see Ford changing that sensor from year to year for any particular reason...
the switch from eec4 to eec5, (OBD2) MAY have brought a change in sensor... not sure

I finally got a sensor at napa but only used the sensor part as couldnt find the tool to replace the whole part it cost me 409 dollars.
did it work? without the tool or do you HAVE to time it? cause we would like to drop our 4.0 in place but but we dont know if we need to time it. its staying out until we're sure and we HOPE it doesn't need to be timed. please help SOON!!!
thanks. PS im a Ranger guy more so Sploders are new to me.

we didnt have to time it teck says you cant time it what he did was just remove the top of the sensor with two screws and put the new electronic part on however you need that tool if your gonna replace the whole sensor.

we didnt have to time it teck says you cant time it what he did was just remove the top of the sensor with two screws and put the new electronic part on however you need that tool if your gonna replace the whole sensor.

but i dont understand how do we time it??? set piston 1@ TDC compression stroke, how to we place the sensor assembly into the engine? its currently not in the truck so now would be the time! other than that the swap is complete! we really need to get this truck goin! and get it on the road!!!

my 94 is throwing the 214 but the chiltons i have says that my vehicle doesnt have a CMP sensor. what gives? any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

code 214 is cylinder ID sensor malfunction

92 through 95 4.0 explorers have a " none replacable sensor"
96 and up have replacable sensors
on the older ones you can just replace the sensor by simply removing the intake for access and unscrewing the sensor but you cant just buy the sensor you have to buy the whole syncro assy. about $300
the part store will sell you the wrong one all day!
if you unbolt the whole thing then you need a special timing harness to time it back to your engine or your injector timing will be off.
the newer ones use a sst for complete assy r&r. the sensor is about $35-$50

most mechanic shops use alldata for the mechanic to use as the BIBLE of all manuals. if you have a good repore' with a shop then ask if they might print off the instructions for you---might cost a little --.not as much as the shop rate plus mark up.:usa::salute:

Back