Any ford flywheel/clutch gurus?

Nick26

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
I'm hoping some one might know a thing or about this over here...

Quick summary: I am putting a M5R2 5 speed behind the V8 in my explorer basing the clutch on a 96 F150 since it had the 302 with a M5R2. More detail: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2251210&postcount=51

Now for my question, I bought a 96 F-150 flywheel and 96 clutch kit with disc and pressure plate, all made by Luk. However, the the flywheel I got did not have any dowels in it which I thought was a little different from the manual flywheels i have seen in the past but I just assumed this one didn't need it. After all there were 6 threaded holes that lined up perfect with the pressure plate, so I proceeded and bolted it on using that. However, I was doing a little more reading today and saw a few people say you need those for alignment otherwise you get clutch chatter. My problem is the flywheel I got doesn't have any peg holes that would even line up with any of the other holes in the pressure plate anyway(there are plenty of other holes). So I am wondering if these are always necessary? Do I just have an odd flywheel?

Attachments

• labeled_flywheel.JPG
    labeled_flywheel.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 686
  • pressureplate_installed.jpg
    pressureplate_installed.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 736

Ok so I broke down and took the pressure plate off, as much as I didn't want to. For peace of mind I wanted to make sure there wasn't any holes being covered and I didn't need to rotate it 60 degrees to see them. Now I can say for certainty there is no holes that line up with the holes in this pressure plate except the 6 where the bolts were. Instead I took a closer look at the flywheel and I noticed it is not threaded all the way to the edge. Therefore I can only assume the bolts I use should not be threaded all the way and the 3/8" collar is what acts as the pins. I slid a 3/8" bolt with a unthreaded neck in the pressure plate hole and it is very snug. I read older fords were done this way so maybe Luk just stuck with that. So tomorrow I am just going to get some 1"-1 1/4" bolts with an unthreaded neck and I think I will be all set.

Here is a pic of the bolts I was using which I am going to replace to be on the safe side and a close up picture of the flywheel hole.

Attachments

• threaded bolts.jpg
    threaded bolts.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 714
  • flywheel hole.jpg
    flywheel hole.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 698

Back