Baby's got new shoes! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Baby's got new shoes!

Finally got all the pieces together and washed the Ex...

MAMBA M3 17"x8", with 20mm offset
Firestone Destination A/T 265/70R17
Hubcentric Rings
Gorilla wheel locks

Wheels/Tires/TPMS Sensors came to $1376, balanced and shipped, from Mr Wheel Deal (http://mrwheeldeal.com/a/). I was a little apprehensive not going to some of the "major" Internet vendors, but this guy is 5-star in the book of customer service! Answered all my questions (a lot of them!), in a timely manner. I'd do business with him any day...

The Hubcentric Rings were $55.95 from JustForWheels. The 70.3mm ID was a little tight to install, considering a fair amount of rust layered the hubs, but a rubber mallet and some polishing with a Dremel took care of that.

The Gorilla wheel locks were $47.99 + $9.95 S/H for a set of 20 from SummitRacing.

Altogether, baby got a $1,500 makeover.

I'm still waiting for the Ford TPMS tool to retrain those darn annoying sensors, but I had to show off the girl.

33558210035_large.jpg

33558210032_large.jpg

With the 20mm offset (OEM was 44mm) and the wider tires, the package is just about flush with the fender trim:

33558210034_large.jpg

33558210033_large.jpg

The Destination A/T are as aggressive as I want to get:
33558210036_large.jpg

There is some minor rubbing at full turn, more noticeable in reverse, but I should be able to move the black shroud back a bit to clear:
33558210030_large.jpg

Inner clearance is not a problem:
33558210031_large.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever think about getting the trim painted black?

good lookin tires =]
got the same ones on my truck, but in a 33x12.5

oh, and those rims look sick too!

good lookin tires =]
got the same ones on my truck, but in a 33x12.5

oh, and those rims look sick too!

Thanks. How are the Firestones doing for you? They seem to be quieter than the OEM, and the ride is smoother, I guess due to the fact they sit further out and have a couple of inches more sidewalls...

looks great!

i love the new generation explorers

Looks kinda like millertimeX17's explorers wheels:
PA140002.jpg

I think you need a 3" body lift!

Ever think about getting the trim painted black?

Crud, I just read your post again, and realized you were talking about the trim and not the wheels... Duh! I feel like a dweeb now!

Looks kinda like millertimeX17's explorers wheels:

I think you need a 3" body lift!

Yes to the look (kind of inspired me, I think those are Mamba M2), but not likely to the lift, at least not a whole 3". With the larger diameter tires, that would end up being something like a 4" increase. Some of the parking garages around the Washington, DC area were made for midgets, I barely clear them as it is! Now, maybe the Rancho 1 1/2 Quicklift... Christmas is coming soon afterall ;)

Got the TPMS issue resolved. For reference, the sensors are Shraeder-Bridgeport #28385, direct replacement for OE Part 6F2Z1A189A (http://www.schrader-bridgeport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=108). I ordered the TPMS Reset Tool from RockAuto (Motocraft TPMS-19, Part #8C2Z-1A203-A, $22.79), followed the documented procedure and bingo: no more TPMS error :thumbsup: The sensors were $32 each, installed, much better than $100+ for OEM sensors...

Thanks. How are the Firestones doing for you? They seem to be quieter than the OEM, and the ride is smoother, I guess due to the fact they sit further out and have a couple of inches more sidewalls...

im only about 3000 miles into them, but the inner tred is wearing faster then i thought. mainly because of my lift and the fact that i need another alignment. other then that i dont hear alot of noise. im surprised at how they actually handle off road and in mud. for an A/T tire they seem to have alot of traction in tough conditinons.

im only about 3000 miles into them, but the inner tred is wearing faster then i thought. mainly because of my lift and the fact that i need another alignment. other then that i dont hear alot of noise. im surprised at how they actually handle off road and in mud. for an A/T tire they seem to have alot of traction in tough conditinons.

That's good to know, not that I plan any tough conditions: the only thime this thing goes off-roading is when I have to cut across the median to avoid rush hour traffic! I've got maybe 300 miles now, and they are really quiet so far.

How about some pics of the front? I want to see the bull bar. Be nice to have something to get pulled out by in the front since ford didnt put tow hooks on these.

Got the TPMS issue resolved. For reference, the sensors are Shraeder-Bridgeport #28385, direct replacement for OE Part 6F2Z1A189A (http://www.schrader-bridgeport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=108). I ordered the TPMS Reset Tool from RockAuto (Motocraft TPMS-19, Part #8C2Z-1A203-A, $22.79), followed the documented procedure and bingo: no more TPMS error :thumbsup: The sensors were $32 each, installed, much better than $100+ for OEM sensors...

Could you not just move your stocks sensors into your new wheels? Discount Tire did mine for 6 bucks a piece.

Your truck looks great by the way :thumbsup:

Could you not just move your stocks sensors into your new wheels? Discount Tire did mine for 6 bucks a piece.

Your truck looks great by the way :thumbsup:

I'm sure I could have found a local shop that could have done that (there is no Discount Tire within 50 miles of my house or my office, unfortunately). But now I have a set of "ready to use" wheels to sell, and I'll even reset the TPMS if the buyer wants it (locally, of course). Now if I could just have a dry weekend to take pics and post them on Craig's List, I'll be happy!

As far as the Ex itself, well: "Imitation Is The Best Form Of Flattery"... Saw yours, and that's the look I was looking for!

Those wheels definitely compliment your truck well. Mine are Vision 375 Warriors by the way. I saw your signature said you have dual exhaust set up. Do you happen to have any pics of your setup?

Those wheels definitely compliment your truck well. Mine are Vision 375 Warriors by the way. I saw your signature said you have dual exhaust set up. Do you happen to have any pics of your setup?

Those 375 have an 18mm Offset, right? Mine have 20mm. I think that 18-20 gives the Ex the wider stance that it needs, compared to the OEM 44mm. It's only about 1" wider on each side, but I can definitely feel I'm getting better stability.

I posted a few pics of the exhaust setup here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260221 and a few more here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3355821/3. Oh yeah, no spare tire anymore...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine actually have a 0 offset. They stick out about 1.5". The offset looks much more aggressive with the lift on top. I dont carry a spare either. I'm waiting to get a roof basket to carry one in.

PA130015.jpg

Back