How to remove your grille (Gen II) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove your grille (Gen II)

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
This is a simple re-hash of a cool instructional lesson posted on the Grillcraft website. Many thanks to Celly for pointing it out, he is seen in the last picture...

Here is your average, everyday Gen II Ford Explorer... (not the one dissected, but the same procedure applies...

picture.php

Start by removing the screw that secures the grille shell to the header panel

picture.php

If you choose, you can also remove the entire plastic cover- but it's not really necessary

picture.php

Flip open the access cover to get to the turn signal screws and remove those also.

picture.php

Remove the screws that secure the signal lamp assemblies and pull out. Watch the bottom edge of the turn signal, it may need some light prying to clear the chrome/painted light surround.

picture.php

Remove the turn signal lamp bulbs (3) each side

picture.php

Fully remove the turn signal housings, that will give you access to the screws holding the edge of the grille to the body, then remove the corner screws

picture.php

Before grille can be removed, you must release the clips holding the bottom to the header panel behind/underneath. You can to that by grabbing the bottom lip of the grille between the vertical bars 1&2 and 2&3. and pulling straight forward towards you. If the clips remain in the header panel, no worry- just push them through and they'll fall to the ground. Reinstall them to the tabs on the grille for later assembly. You will also have 2 similar clips by the screws on the very edges behind the turn signals. Lookin' good, Celly!

picture.php

The entire grille assembly can now be removed.

If you need to reattach the clips, you can push them through the header panel with a screwdriver, they'll fall to the ground, then pick up and reattach to the grille, making sure they're facing the correct way- there is a groove on one side, it can fit correctly only one way.

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bookmarked for when i paint the X after my wallet recovers from this Headers back exhaust project..

thanks.

btw, i love that bumper on there. i might have to hit C-list or the junk yard and snag one up when i paint the truck :)

Back