Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

P0171 P0174 P0455

Old 06-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
pjm
Bloomington, MN
96 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
P0171 P0174 P0455

Need some help from the guru's here please.
Have codes for both banks lean and major evap leak.

There have been no codes for two weeks, and the engine still seems to be running fine. Idles great at about 1000 rpm. Then today all three of these codes at the same time.

I have searched for hours on this site and have chased this problem(s) for weeks. I've found great advice and here's what I've recently done:

New lower, middle and upper intake manifold gaskets - helped
New plugs - #4 had a broken insulator and was misfiring
New DPFE
New IAC
Cleaned and lightly oiled air filter
Cleaned MAF sensor
New PCV - checked hose, no crack, no crud inside
Checked all vacuum lines - no leaks apparent
New Ford OEM gas cap

Is there anything else I can check before I bring it to the shop?
thanks

410 cam, Deltacams rockers, Smith Bros pushrods, Bamachips Flasher, Force II catback, KKM intake, BBK throttle body, Bilstein shocks, EE swaybars, Energy Suspension poly bushings, Powerslot rotors, Ferro-carbon pads, all synthetic fluids, Pioneer head and changer, Infinity speakers, Alpine amps, MTX sub
pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
MountaineerGreen
Towing Moderator
North East Arkansas

2012 F150 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Above your spare is your charcoal canister- check the hoses that connect to it and check the valve attached. Check your fill hoses and clamps- a real pain to check on top of the tank. In your drivers side fenderwell, there are a pair of solenoids that are a part of your evap system. One hose in particular tends to dry rot pretty badly. The P0455 is a tough code to track down- I've been battling it for a while.
MountaineerGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

your idle is too high... indicating a leak somewhere... the suggestions are good. Further try spraying various areas with carb cleaner to see if the engine stumbles for leak detection assistance. Have you filled your gas tank lately as in "full filled"?... just in case it is got a leak somewhere. My bet is on the area under the battery tray as suggested.

Having read further, my bet is on the EVAP cannister purge valve... either valve itself or the vacuum line going to it is fubarred.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Below the battery tray-is a evap solenoid. They will often get battery acid dripped on them and develop a leak-or it could be broken. I would check this out. You may need to pull it off and check the hoses real well. You can see it in the front of the driver side wheel well.
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
pjm
Bloomington, MN
96 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Update

First, thanks for the tips.
The truck has been running pretty well, except for lousy mileage you'd expect with the trim maxed out.
I finally found the time to pull the spare and check out the purge valve. As far as I can tell, the hoses look fine, no cracks or brittleness to speak of. There are hard lines from the gas tank almost all the way to the canister, then just a foot of vacuum line to the cannister.
It's the dual cannister model under a bang plate, with a connector inbetween. There was no visible cracks anywhere I could see on either of the cannisters. I guess I'll just replace the purge valve because it's only 20 bucks. The fill hoses look ok, a little rusty but no cracks.
Think I should do that, reset the codes. Then see if they come back, if they do, then it's gotta be the thingamajig under the battery - which I think is an obsolete part.
I'll post another update when I resolve this, and of course appreciate any feedback in the meantime.

410 cam, Deltacams rockers, Smith Bros pushrods, Bamachips Flasher, Force II catback, KKM intake, BBK throttle body, Bilstein shocks, EE swaybars, Energy Suspension poly bushings, Powerslot rotors, Ferro-carbon pads, all synthetic fluids, Pioneer head and changer, Infinity speakers, Alpine amps, MTX sub
Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
pjm
Bloomington, MN
96 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Follow up question

Does anyone know what the air management diverter valve does? And if it malfunctions, could it cause the above codes to be set? What are the symptoms of a broken one? I've searched and there's not much on this site that i can find.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
pjm
Bloomington, MN
96 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Found it - I think

Tried spraying carb cleaner around intake manifold and egr. Looks like I've got a leaky seal where the egr tube goes into the intake manifold.
Local dealer had one - $10.
Will swap out tonight, reset codes and see how it goes.
thanks again for the tips

Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
travelinman1962
washington, kirkland
96 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Codes

Im not a guru but i did have this problem with both banks running lean in the fuel rails. Had a diagnostic done and it turned out the tube going from the egr valve to the intake manifold was leaking right where it meets the manifold and fixed it. Low and behold the codes haven't shown up again. Run the engine and spray carb cleaner at that area to see if the idle changes, if it does it means its leaking at that area. Be very careful not to get it on a hot exhaust manifold. Good luck.
travelinman1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
travelinman1962
washington, kirkland
96 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Oops guess you found it.
travelinman1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
alohamonte
Glendale, AZ
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
is the EVAP leak an environmental issue or a performance one?

1998 Xplorer 4.0 OHV 4x4, 3.73 L/S, 31x10.5 Good Year Silent Armor A/T, All Synthetic Fluids, Sony Audio System, Yakima Roof Rack w/ 3rd Crossbar, Bilstein Shocks, Silverstar Ultras, Clifford Alarm & Keyless Entry, Throttle Cable Mod, Moog Front End
alohamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
environmental. But you won't pass emissions without it working properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Fantasymon
Tulsa, OK
2000 XLS

Vehicle Specs

I have these same 3 codes popping up.

The Ford dealership wants $85 to "diagnose" the problem. Assuming they can tell me exactly what the problem is, I think that is a fair price. I'm sure this will be followed by a $1,000 repair quote.

Anyhow, if this is an environmental issue, will it not affect gas mileage? I swear I am getting really bad gas mileage lately.

I did a "custom" piping from my air filter to the throttle body...Could a leak here be causing any of these?

How worried about these codes should I be? I've lost 40K in stocks/IRA's the past 2 weeks so money is tight.

Thanks,
Grantp

Cobra-R rims, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT-KO, 2" TT/Shackle, Westin brushguard, taillight guards, and chrome nerf bars, Flowmaster 50, BBK headers, BBK tb, KKM, Rancho 9000xl, Catz fogs, KC Daylighters, 5% tint, two amp Infinity audio w/ 10 speakers, remote start w/ alarm, 86K miles, original owner
Fantasymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

I don't think your "custom piping" is a source of these codes. How serious... hmmm, the egr typically is only an emissions/environmental issue so you choose your "poison". HOWEVER, any leaky associated with the vacuum "supply" on an engine will affect its performance and may show up as lower gas mileage. Why not follow the info in the thread and do some "custom DIY" troubleshooting instead of paying the dealer.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
nunn01
saint albans west virginia
1998 ford ranger 3.0

Vehicle Specs

my husband is working on a 1998 ford ranger with a 3.0 engine and needs to know what the torques is on the lower intake manifold please help it would be a blessing for me thank you
nunn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
post009
peoria
96 XLT Explorer

Vehicle Specs

i had the same codes for my 96 XLT I'm still fighting the EVAP leak but the bank codes that said it was running lean turn out to be the fuel pump. you might wanna check it out
post009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page