UT, UX and UZ Explorers vs UP Explorer - suspension and chasis changes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UT, UX and UZ Explorers vs UP Explorer - suspension and chasis changes

twr7cx

Reaction score
City, State
Hobart, Tasmania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XL
I currently have a 1998 UP Explorer XT (manual 4.0L OHV V6, bottom of the range model), it's been a good value for money vehicle, and I've generally been happy with it, and recently surprised by it's 4WD capabilities.
It's my family's spare car and it's real main usage is for towing and launching the boat.
Looking to upgrade now however, as would like to do some traveling and a larger 4WD wagon would be prefered. Currently looking at the UT, UX and UZ Explorers as these were the last models imported into Australia, and looking specifically only at the V8 Limited models as I want the luxury interior and the extra performance power.

What I'm chasing is information regarding the significant chasis and suspension changes from second generation Explorer (e.g. the UP that I currently have) to the third generation (the UT, UX and UZ's that I'm looking at).
From what I understand with the third generation the chasis is no longer shared with the Ford Ranger, and has changed from live-axel to independent rear suspension. Is the front suspension still torsion bars or is it now coil springs all around? Is this suspension more orientated for on the road performance rather than off road? Any improvements or negatives that the new suspension setup causes for off road driving?
What about the vehicles ground clearance? It looks as though this has been reduced, however, that might just be a visual illusion from the larger chunkier looking body as I believe it's not larger wheels (16") as oppposed to the old 15". If it is lower I guess a set of riased coil springs isn't too hard to install.
Is there still bash plates under the vehicle to protect the components?
Any changes in the 4WD system (from what I understand the Limited models have a factory standard LSD in the rear were my UP XT doesn't, so that should be an improvement to it's capabilities)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has compared the second and third generations?

G'day. 3rd gen are coils all round, lifting is best achieved with BTF spacers and/or a bodylift.
3rd gen have a full chassis and is mainly designed for on road performance but with lift and tyres can be more than a half decent 4x4.
Coils won't flex as much as your current X's suspension set up.
Ground clearance is reduced on a 3rd gen but remedied by the lift and tyres.
Mine came with factory 17" x 7 1/2" rims.

G'day. 3rd gen are coils all round, lifting is best achieved with BTF spacers and/or a bodylift.

BTF I assume is a brand, and by spacer I assume it goes above or below the coil spring to raise the chasis up higher.
I did notice that King Springs here in Australia offer raised coil springs for the Explorers that would also give more clearance and spring travel.

Yep king springs do offer the raised coils and will cost roughly the same as the btf spacer's. I have heard that raised springs can sag with time but its an alternative to the spacers which do sit above the struts for sure.

Back