TripMinder Message Center Install! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TripMinder Message Center Install!

LiKuiD

bahhhhhhhhh
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
So since i'm back with a 1st gen (again), I missed my 2nd gen message center I installed a few years ago. After getting the itch again, I got everything ready to do a 2nd gen -> 1st gen message center install...

In talking with Russ (Nice59), he mentioned something about a Trip Minder message center used in 85/86 Cougars/Tbirds. When I saw this I got uber excited as it had more features then the 2nd gen MC, was smaller AND was super 80s! I had to have it...

So fast forward a few weeks, I was able to pick up a brand new TripMinder from a guy off of the Cougar forums. Fast forward after a few hours of cutting/waiting and cussing, we have success!

A few notes of the features:
-Trip Computer
-Date\Time
-Miles Driven
-Avg MPH
-Avg MPG
-Instant MPG
-Gallons Used
-Drive Clock

I love how the install came out, looks like it belonged there from the factory. I had to relocate the 4x4 switch to my overhead console, and for some reason pushing buttons in the ceiling is 10x more fun then on the dash.

Crappy night pics away!!

dash6.jpg

console9.jpg

2011-02-16_19-02-09_893.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet install!

HAHA, that looks great bud! I hope the info and spreadsheet i emailed yea was somewhat helpful? But if you can, when its light out, grab some photos up close of the tripminder. What issues did you run into when installing it? You know, things like that :p:

Very clean, good job man. A project like that kinda looks like fun, I may start my own digging on this..

I really like it!

Very nice!

Ryan

Ok, that is bad ass... Nice install!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks guys! I'll post some more pics of the install later tonight...it's fairly simple. I'd rate it a 2 out of 10 on my psuedo scale of difficulty.

The biggest issue was waiting for my friggin Dremel to recharge cuz there is a ton of cutting and reshaping to do, and i'm lazy when it comes to plugging it in.

Also waiting for the glue to dry...one of those always waiting projects!

Still looks pretty dang good! Have any trouble installing that pin 34 pk/lb wire on the pcm? And does that tripminder tie into the tach signal at all?

Still looks pretty dang good! Have any trouble installing that pin 34 pk/lb wire on the pcm? And does that tripminder tie into the tach signal at all?

Word! It was pretty simple since the PCM is so easy to get too, just had to borrow *cough* a PCM pin connector from the JY. It doesnt use a tach wire, just the VSS on pin 3 to calc speed. So after power/illum and ground wires, its techincally just a 2 wire install :p:

That is a very interesting install you did. I like the idea of moving the 4x4 switch to the overhead console. Nice work:thumbsup:

hmmmm, this may find its way into my list of planned mods. I have to agree about the idea of pushing buttons on the overhead to engage 4X4 sounding much more fun.

Definitly a thumbs up on the install job. Looks Great.

Oh, I do have one more request of yea :) Post some video of the Trip Minder if you can, I would like to see how the refresh rate is, and how it goes between functions. I might just throw one of these into my 59 project...

deff interested in this. can you provide years/model/packages of the cougars they come from? time to check ebay. looking forward to seeing your wire splices and everything needed etc. ive been looking to put something in the push button spot, since im manual now

deff interested in this. can you provide years/model/packages of the cougars they come from? time to check ebay. looking forward to seeing your wire splices and everything needed etc. ive been looking to put something in the push button spot, since im manual now

this Link tells about the trip minder itself and how to install it in a cougar or thunderbird....BUT with the right wiring diagrams, these will install into any ford vehicle that is EEC-IV, and I am willing to bet EEC-IV as well. Ill let LiKuiD go into detail since it is his install afterall, but you want to get as much of the pigtail and wiring as possible for this, just to make things simpler.

Hmm so slight issue, apparently I get 160MPG on the highway!

Looks like my signal for the DOL isnt coming through right...trying to figure out what can be wrong but theres only 1 possible choice...*scratches head*

Possibly a semi damaged TP? Will post back after more testing...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Woah awesome gas mileage! :D lol Nice install, looks good for both the message center and the 4wd switch.

Back