98 explorer power window and wiper problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer power window and wiper problem

Garybee

Reaction score
City, State
Midland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 4D AWD V8
Hi, i am new here and i was hoping that you guys might be able to help me out. i have a 1998 Eddie Bauer ford explorer, its the one with AWD and it has a v8. my problem is with the power windows and windshield wipers. for some reason they both quit working at the same time. all of my windows quit rolling down and my wipers won't work. my first thought was to check the fuses, but that didn't help. now my only idea is that maybe a ground is bad or lose? i am not sure where these grounds would be located and if it happens to be the same ground by chance? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow, this forum seems dead. no one even replies to new posts.

It's usually pretty much a ghost town on the forums on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Here are some links to get you started - I don't remember a link between the two systems. Possibly broken wire in the door, bad multifunction switch on the column or the the harness connector pulled out of the multifunction switch.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313559&highlight=power+windows+inoperative

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287223&highlight=power+windows+stopped+working

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281975&highlight=windshield+wiper+inoperative

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243972&highlight=Front+windshield+wiper

thanks, some of this might be helpful. i need to figure this stuff out when i get back from vacation.

I'm having the exact same problem in my 98 explorer sport. The weird part is that if I turn the key all the way to the other direction (opposite of start) all the functions come back. It sounds like I can hear a relay clicking under the gauge cluster. No power windows, or power mirrors or windshield wipers. Checked all the doors for bad wiring ext. Nothing. Checked motor ground, chassis ground, hood ground, and a few body grounds and they were all ok. I'm pissed because I've been playing with this for like 2 weeks now and still no change.

Also when it first happened, i saw a blown fuse inside the panel and replaced it and it hasnt blown but no functions. the windows would only roll up about a few inches at a time, then that stopped too. So I'm not sure if it could be the ignition or what because all fuses are good still. The weird part is i still have power locks witch are on the same circuit as the windows.

P.s sorry to thread jack but I figured this was a better place than none to get help for both of us.

P.s sorry to thread jack but I figured this was a better place than none to get help for both of us.
no problem, on my truck the problem ended up being that the motors were not getting power. for the wipers i ran a new power wire to a switch under the dash. for the windows i ran new power wires from the fuse panel and the drivers switch works fine. i didnt bother fixing the other switches for the remaining 3 doors, but im sure they all had the same problem.

hope that helps you

Found detached mirror connector. Fixed that. Didn't find anyproblems with driver side wiring. Going to check otherside tomorrow.

I was thinks motors too but it they work great when the key is turned all the way twords you then nothing when started or before starting.

Just thought, could my ignition, where I put the key in havento do with this? It is a little loose it seems. I was told there is some sort of sensor there in the colum that could affect these operations.

So today I lost all functions completely even when turned to the accessory mode. Ok so I took the dash and colum apart and found this little black wire with a small connector (that's baby blue) with a little piece of metal that just rubs along the top of the ignition parts that's turned during start. It was hanging there not
Attached. I just found out where it goes and I'm now going to put it
All back together. Could this have been my problem? I will know in ten minutes......

So it didn't fix it now the door dinger rings all the time unless the door is shut or the key is in the run position. HELP!!!!!!!!!

So I foun that fuse #25 fuse was responsible for the door ajar and speedometer, as well as GEM module. Plulles fuse noise stopped. Where do I go from here??????

So I foun that fuse #25 fuse was responsible for the door ajar and speedometer, as well as GEM module. Plulles fuse noise stopped. Where do I go from here??????

As to the door chime, search specifically for this problem, I cut a wire coming out of a function box behind the Radio bezel that solved that. It was a while ago, or I would give you the details.

The wipers and the windows are also served through relays in the power distribution box just behind the battery. It's unlikely that they would both fail together but worth checking out. I'm still trying to think of a common link between the windows and wipers.

Back