2000 4.0L SOHC Explorer. 5R55E transmission issue. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0L SOHC Explorer. 5R55E transmission issue.

Nope. Both my '97 and '01 have dipsticks and the 5R55E.

I have a similar problem to yours. Reverse started slipping but worked fine in drive. Then it started to slip in drive. I don't have a flashing light, so no codes. I parked it for a couple of months and I pulled it into the garage and everything worked fine, but the fluid is burnt. The o-rings around the low/reverse servo seem fine and the band feels springy when pushed with a screwdriver. All of the solenoids' resistances are within spec. I don't have a pressure gauge so I didn't check pressures before dropping the pan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles does it have? You should drop the pan, check the valve body bolts to see if they are loose, and the gasket for deterioration. If these things check out fine, then replace the filter, and the fluid.

If the trans doesn't work properly and the parts are not all fairly new, it's time to go through the whole VB group of parts.

Guessing at one part etc, and ever guessing wrong, that makes it wrong to be trying to save a few bucks. The time that it takes to pull the pan and change just the filter or a simple part, that isn't bad but it's also not plain and simple either.

The cost of the many likely parts that could fix it and/or help it are under $200. The EPC solenoid is a critical known wear part, that should be changed within every say 75k miles anyway. It's also the most expensive, and buy the Borg Warner better EPC when you get one. The shift solenoids are not expensive for the early 5R's, replace at least the TCC and SS1 solenoid.

The extra labor it takes to install all of those parts is minor when you already have removed the pan. That two hours of work is well worth it. The key is having the tools and skills, and patience, to work on the VB. You must have high quality snap ring pliers, a good pick or tiny screwdriver, even a paper clip is very useful.

Patience is a big factor, and you must be prepared by reading instructions thoroughly. Don't rush any trans work, ever. More people have issues related to a tiny mistake made in doing the work, leaving out a VB bolt, or loose, or not getting the manual valve in correctly etc. Take your time, allow for several long hours of ATF covered work.

Drop the pan quickly, loosen the VB bolts, and let the trans drain for a long while. Take a short break and reread the instructions.

For all of those parts replaced, and the VB kit, that money is never wasted. If the trans needs rebuilt, those parts are still good, they will still help just as much. Every Ford auto trans needs a VB kit and all the Sonnax upgrades that there are. Every single one, no matter what the age, model, or mileage. Don't drive it until there is a problem, or worse until the vehicle stops moving(you destroyed the trans).

For any Ford you buy with an auto, find out when you buy it if there is a VB kit for it. Install any available VB parts as soon as possible, the day you buy it, a week later etc. Don't wait until a problem occurs. Regards,

The Explorer has well over 200k miles and has engine issues also (intermittant lean condition). I only paid $4000 for the truck over 5 years ago, so even if I junk it I feel I got my money out of it. I can rebuild the valve body, but I don't know if I have the space, tools, or know how to rebuild the entire transmission. I doubt the truck is worth the cost of paying a shop to rebuild the transmission, and I'd hate to waste $300 rebuilding the valve body if that doesn't help, but it would be very nice to have the truck back.

The valve body bolts seem to be fine. I'll go ahead and remove them and check the gasket, but won't it tear anyways when I remove the valve body? Are there any specific things I could check for to make sure rebuilding the valve body would solve the problem?

Also, I forgot to mention that the truck always had a shudder/vibration right before the transmission would have to downshift when the engine bogged down going up hills. It would do it 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd. Not sure if that was the transmission or not though and if that help diagnose anything.

All Ford automatics need a VB kit installed. I am not exaggerating, every single one of them needs the help. The new, the old, the wore out, and every other one with zero problems, or minor issues. They all need a VB kit.

Don't R&R the trans to rebuild it, leave a full rebuild to a person with the proper tools to do it.

The 5R55E has a gasket issue which is related to the design of the case itself. Sonnax has an article written about it, and recommends installing 2-3 set screws in the case passages. The passages above the VB in one area are very deep and long, too deep and not supported. Those passages move side to side due to pressure changes while running. The passage walls move just enough to cause wear at the gasket surface, sometimes or eventually leading to a blow out of the gasket. It may or may not be visible from the outside.

Any time you remove a VB, change the gaskets. That issue has been chronicled by Sonnax, and they have a solution. I suggest that people listen to them and do as suggested.

I removed the valve body. The bolts closest to the solenoids did take less effort to remove than the rest, so they must have been slightly loose. Near the loose bolts there were two (one large and one small) missing sections of the gasket on the side of the seperator plate facing the transmission case. I cannot find either of the missing sections. The small section may have been able to pass through everything, but if the large section came off as one piece I don't see any way it could pass completely through the insides of the transmission. I am now wondering if it would be possible for a chunk of the gasket to tear off as one solid peice and block a fluid passageway? If so, is there a way to somehow backflush the transmission, with the valve body removed, to push the piece back out?

Not really. look in the trans oil passages for the gasket pieces also remove the separator plate and look in the valve body, just don't turn the valve body on its side or upside down when removing the plate or the check balls and some of the valve L keepers will fall out. Cut the old filter apart, the gasket pieces may be inside.
The engine lean condition is either bad oxygen sensors or the upper and lower intake gaskets are leaking, if both sides are lean it is the gaskets.

A bad fuel pump can cause lean running, don't assume it's the intake gaskets. Check the fuel pressure before removing any parts.

The VB gasket can clog things up, but the VB itself is the biggest worry. So have a VB manual close by to be ready if any parts come out of the VB, or fall out etc. Those tiny "L" keepers are very tough to place without a manual as a guide.

As mentioned, look around in the passages and the VB itself, basically any debris causes issues there only. The gasket would have managed to fall apart into lots of little pieces and passed through most things except for the VB internals. So concentrate on the VB and the filter to find it.

I suggest reading up on those set screws which Sonnax recommends being installed in the passages. I bought a few from Lowe's with the intention of doing mine when I get the trans out. It didn't look hard to do at all. It should be a common repair soon if enough people start documenting it.

I'll cut up the filter and check inside it for gasket material. I didn't see any in the valve body, but I was in a rush to leave and didn't get to check all that well. (I'm working on this at my parents' house and my wife was picking me up on her way home from work.)

The set screws are definitely something I'm looking to do because that is the area where a lot of the gasket is mangled or missing. I also think I'll go with a rebuilt valve body from Central Valve Bodies since so many people in the valve body rebuild thread were happy with Donny from there.

Inside the transmission case there are a couple of rectangle holes where you can look up and see what I guess are parts of two bands. One of these holes has a black metal part in it that is loose and I can easily slide it up and down. Should it move so freely?

yes, it should be loose, it is only tight when the servo applies the band. When you put the valve body in be sure to use an INCH LB torque wrench.

the moving part

EDIT: You posted while I was uploading the picture. Good to know that it's okay if it moves.

Attachments

• DSC05674.JPG
    DSC05674.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,056

missing sections of gasket

I did not have any luck finding the missing pieces of the gasket. The gasket on the other side was completely intact and the EPC screen was not clogged at all.

Attachments

• DSC05679.JPG
    DSC05679.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,931

The gasket blow out in your picture looks like a lot of pieces should have went into the pan and you should have found some in the filter.

The reason that the bolts near the EPC & TCC solenoids get loose is because they are producing a constant modulated vibration. The gasket will deteriorate as soon as the bolts get loose because of the friction of the separator plate & valve body. Always check the torque of the valve body bolts in the vicinity of those two solenoids whenever you remove the pan to replace the fluid & filter.

The gasket blow out in your picture looks like a lot of pieces should have went into the pan and you should have found some in the filter.

That's what I had hoped, but they're not in the filter. So either they came apart in small pieces that were shredded into dust as they passed through the transmission, or they came off in pieces large enough to get stuck somewhere inside the transmission and possibly clog something up. That's why I was wondering if there is any way to backflush the transmission with the valve body off. That way if something was blocking fluid flow it would hopefully get flushed back out.

I got the codes scanned and p0705 came up?

any way that would cause it to lose R and D? I cleared the code but haven't driven it

DTR sensor?

I got the codes scanned and p0705 came up?

any way that would cause it to lose R and D? I cleared the code but haven't driven it

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)

If the Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor is not adjusted properly then there's no telling what might happen. Does the starter crank in Park and Neutral? Do the reverse lamps illuminate when Reverse is selected?

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)

If the Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor is not adjusted properly then there's no telling what might happen. Does the starter crank in Park and Neutral? Do the reverse lamps illuminate when Reverse is selected?

yes sir. although the needle on the column points a bit left on each position it starts in P and N and reverse light work as they should.
I also adjusted the band closest to the bellhousing and no change.
after erasing codes it acts exactly the same. in D it barely tries to creep forward at about 3000 rpm's (don't worry only tried this for a second) and reverse is the same. it drives close to normal in 1 and 2 but as soon as I move it the OD light starts blinking again. only pulls up the p0705 code also.

sounds like the DTR sensor is adjusted right could it just be bad? connection is tight also.

I'm baffled. shouldn't it pull up other codes if there was something bad wrong?

and to recap I changed the fluid and filter and found no shavings.

DTR sections

The indicator on the instrument cluster above the steering column is strictly mechanical and the PCM has no way of knowing what it indicates. Mine has been broken for several months and always points past 1.

According to the 2000 wiring diagrams there are seven ganged 6 position switches in the DTR. One switch enables the reversing lamps in the R position. One switch enables the starting function in the P and N position. One switch is enabled in the N position and goes to the neutral switch input of the generic electronic module (GEM). I can' find any communication between the GEM and the PCM so the PCM probably can't detect the position of the neutral switch input to the GEM. The other four switches generate a 4 bit binary word to tell the PCM what gear is selected as follows:

TR4,TR3,TR2,TR1
0,0,0,0 > P
1,1,0,0 > R
0,1,1,0 > N
1,1,1,1 > D
1,0,0,1 > 2
0,0,1,1 > 1

Any other combinations would be invalid. I don't know what the PCM would do if it detects an invalid binary code but it might generate the P0705 code. It also might not select a gear for an invalid binary code. The gray/red wire connected to the DTR is the common signal return for the four switch sections. Zeroes are generated when a switch closes the path between the PCM and the gray/red wire. There are numerous gray/red wire splices and one could be open. Since it drives normal in 1 and 2 which includes zeroes I doubt there is a problem in the return (gray/red wire) connection. There may be a problem in the switch. You might remove the DTR and test it with an ohmmeter. Or one of the wires between the PCM and the switch could be shorted to ground creating a permanent zero. My guess would be TR3 (light blue/yellow wire).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The indicator on the instrument cluster above the steering column is strictly mechanical and the PCM has no way of knowing what it indicates. Mine has been broken for several months and always points past 1.

According to the 2000 wiring diagrams there are seven ganged 6 position switches in the DTR. One switch enables the reversing lamps in the R position. One switch enables the starting function in the P and N position. One switch is enabled in the N position and goes to the neutral switch input of the generic electronic module (GEM). I can' find any communication between the GEM and the PCM so the PCM probably can't detect the position of the neutral switch input to the GEM. The other four switches generate a 4 bit binary word to tell the PCM what gear is selected as follows:

TR4,TR3,TR2,TR1
0,0,0,0 > P
1,1,0,0 > R
0,1,1,0 > N
1,1,1,1 > D
1,0,0,1 > 2
0,0,1,1 > 1

Any other combinations would be invalid. I don't know what the PCM would do if it detects an invalid binary code but it might generate the P0705 code. It also might not select a gear for an invalid binary code. The gray/red wire connected to the DTR is the common signal return for the four switch sections. Zeroes are generated when a switch closes the path between the PCM and the gray/red wire. There are numerous gray/red wire splices and one could be open. Since it drives normal in 1 and 2 which includes zeroes I doubt there is a problem in the return (gray/red wire) connection. There may be a problem in the switch. You might remove the DTR and test it with an ohmmeter. Or one of the wires between the PCM and the switch could be shorted to ground creating a permanent zero. My guess would be TR3 (light blue/yellow wire).
thankyou kind sir. I will do this and respond (not fast because I already bought another car but I would like to have this as a third. it was great when is was running.

Back