Water Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ott23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I purchase a 2011 Limited 4WD Explorer in July. I was recently on vacation this past weekend and encountered a lot of rain. When my 8 year old sat in the 3rd row and buckled the seatbelt, water started streaming down the webbing and I also noticed water on the speaker grill. This has happened twice so far.

This was the on the Right Rear 3rd Row. Any idea where the water is entering?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the exact same problem on my 2011 XLT. I brought it to the dealer and put a hose on the roof pointing towards the back and the water was leaking in. He sent it to a water guy who had it in a booth simulating a rain storm and the guy said he can't find the problem. He said he has the entire rear interior off. NOT what I wanted to hear.

Did you find your leak?

I am having the exact same problem on my 2011 XLT. I brought it to the dealer and put a hose on the roof pointing towards the back and the water was leaking in. He sent it to a water guy who had it in a booth simulating a rain storm and the guy said he can't find the problem. He said he has the entire rear interior off. NOT what I wanted to hear.

Did you find your leak?

I'm no expert on auto dealerships and dealer-mechanics, but based on your description it sounds like the mechanic put it in some sort of special rain simulator booth? I doubt dealerships have such things. My guess is that is code for - "the mechanic is in a paint booth with a hose." Sounds to me like you need to offer to show the mechanic the leak yourself as you apparantely can reproduce it.

While your at it, show him the rain noise problem. If they have half your headliner down, they may as well fix that too. Search the forum and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I showed the dealer the problem and he acknowledged it. He said he has it at a place that has 8 water jets that hit the car like a rain storm.

I'll check out the noise problem.

Thanks!

My dealer got back to me today. He said they found the leak. Not only did they find the one I told them about, but found another one the drivers side. He said it was the seams. The sealant they use, he said it was some goo or something, seemed to fail. He said I should have it back in a few days.

This was the on the Right Rear 3rd Row. Any idea where the water is entering?

My wife has a Saab 93 Aero. She was getting water on the carpet and they could not find the source of the problem for over a year. Finally someone figured out that there is a hose that drains the sunroof somewhere that is suppose to take the water and I guess shoot it down to the road....well it was clogged and split and leaked water into the front passenger carpet. Not only did they fix it but they removed all the carpeting in the car, front and back, and replaced it with new factory carpeting. They did the right thing, mold can be nasty!!

Hope yours is quicker and easier to find....do you have a sunroof?? ;)

My wife has a Saab 93 Aero. She was getting water on the carpet and they could not find the source of the problem for over a year. Finally someone figured out that there is a hose that drains the sunroof somewhere that is suppose to take the water and I guess shoot it down to the road....well it was clogged and split and leaked water into the front passenger carpet. Not only did they fix it but they removed all the carpeting in the car, front and back, and replaced it with new factory carpeting. They did the right thing, mold can be nasty!!

Hope yours is quicker and easier to find....do you have a sunroof?? ;)

No I don't have a sunroof, they found the leak it was the seams. Should have it back Friday.

The dealer had my vehicle for a week and could not find the problem. They tried hosing it with water and taking it to a car wash and still could not find the leak. When it did finally rain, they left the car out but had it parked facing down hill. The water drained off the front of the vehicle even though they knew the leak was in the 3rd row compartment - not too smart. Still they could not find the leak.

Regardless that it has now happened on 3 separate rain days and I have photographic evidence, the dealer can not fix it until they actually see the leak and source themselves

It rains on average 138 days in the Detroit area. $48,000 for a vehicle that I can only drive 2/3 of the year.

Not too happy right now.....

My dealer got back to me today. He said they found the leak. Not only did they find the one I told them about, but found another one the drivers side. He said it was the seams. The sealant they use, he said it was some goo or something, seemed to fail. He said I should have it back in a few days.
Thanks for letting me know they found your leak. I'll share this with the Dealer.

You're welcome. I was supposed to get it back today, but they said they found a third leak!! This one was by the tailgate. That's 3 leaks in a brand new car.

But at least they found them. I was worried they were going to tell me the same thing they told you.

Great another issue with the ex, maybe the extra robots quality control is not so good, hire a humans!

You're welcome. I was supposed to get it back today, but they said they found a third leak!! This one was by the tailgate. That's 3 leaks in a brand new car.

But at least they found them. I was worried they were going to tell me the same thing they told you.

My car was leaking again and I just returned it back to the Dealer. They saw the same leak. Where were your leaks located? Who was your Dealer so they can communicate the process to fix it?

Thanks Again

My car was leaking again and I just returned it back to the Dealer...
Ott23,
I’m happy to help get the leak taken care of by sending an escalation to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do this, send me a PM with your dealer information, VIN, approximate mileage, and contact info. I’m confident they will lend a hand to fix the problem once and for all.

Cory

Water Leak Fixed

After 2 weeks in the shop, they finally located and fixed the water leak. It was a cracked seal between the roof and rear quarter panel.

It rained all last week and no water came in.

XLT= X tra L eaky T hirdrow.

Just a joke, no need for some jackass response. This was jackass enough

Hi everyone. I can't find the post about the water leaking in from the roof. I have water marks on my rear quarter window it looks like it is right below the mounting bracket. I took the cover off it looks like the little weeping holes are too little for the water to drain out. Mine do not drain fast enough. Looks like it could be the culprit??? Has this happened to anyone else?

thanks!

Sure thing...I haven't had that issue, but hopefully that thread will help you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me too!

I was going thru all these threads and I found something that happened to me a couple of times when it was raining really hard. We thought it was happening when we opened up the back gate, water was showing up on the rear speaker. We traced it back to the seat belt before going into the driver side rear quarter panel. We tried it with the hose and nothing happened. reading this now concerns me. My truck is in for service for other issues, SD card, hard shifting and emergeny break, dimple on the roof (front).
Need some advise on how to approach the dealer with this leak, especially when it doesn't always happen. Cory can you help me with this?
thanks in advance....

Back