Vent control issue - only dash/floor or defrost/floor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vent control issue - only dash/floor or defrost/floor

jchristian79

Reaction score
I've searched the forum quite a bit but haven't found anything that quite matches what's going on. I apologize if I've missed something!

2005 XLT 4x4 V8 with manual climate controls. I just picked this up 3 weeks ago. The blend door actuator was broken and I replaced that via BigRondo's thread. Now I have heat, which is great!

The next problem I ran in to is with the air flow through the vents, but it's not quite like anything else I've read on here. I haven't had occasion to really use the air until it got cold this last week. That's when I noticed this. Here's what's happening.

When the air flow selector is set to dash and floor, dash only or max a/c, the air flow always comes out of both the floor AND dash vents but not the defrost vents. It doesn't matter which of the three it's set on, the air always comes out the floor and dash vents.

When the air flow is set to floor only, floor and defrost or defrost only, the air always comes out of the floor AND the defrost but not the dash vents. Once again, it doesn't matter which of the three it's set on, it comes out defrost and floor vents.

So basically, it's not allowing me to select just the dash, just the floor or just the defrost.

The blower has strong airflow through all the vents and the fan speed selector works just fine and I can control the force of the air, so I don't believe it's the recirc door that I've read about on here. Every other post states that the airflow is stuck on just one of the settings and won't change. I am able to change them, but I can't select just one.

Could this be a vacuum issue? Control switch issue? Where should I start looking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've searched the forum quite a bit but haven't found anything that quite matches what's going on. I apologize if I've missed something!

2005 XLT 4x4 V8 with manual climate controls. I just picked this up 3 weeks ago. The blend door actuator was broken and I replaced that via BigRondo's thread. Now I have heat, which is great!

The next problem I ran in to is with the air flow through the vents, but it's not quite like anything else I've read on here. I haven't had occasion to really use the air until it got cold this last week. That's when I noticed this. Here's what's happening.

When the air flow selector is set to dash and floor, dash only or max a/c, the air flow always comes out of both the floor AND dash vents but not the defrost vents. It doesn't matter which of the three it's set on, the air always comes out the floor and dash vents.

When the air flow is set to floor only, floor and defrost or defrost only, the air always comes out of the floor AND the defrost but not the dash vents. Once again, it doesn't matter which of the three it's set on, it comes out defrost and floor vents.

So basically, it's not allowing me to select just the dash, just the floor or just the defrost.

The blower has strong airflow through all the vents and the fan speed selector works just fine and I can control the force of the air, so I don't believe it's the recirc door that I've read about on here. Every other post states that the airflow is stuck on just one of the settings and won't change. I am able to change them, but I can't select just one.

Could this be a vacuum issue? Control switch issue? Where should I start looking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a similar issue. My problem is that I have weak air flow to my defrost and I always have air flow coming out of the floor vents regardless of what position the selector is in.

I haven't jumped into this yet, but I will be sure to post anything I find or fix here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've got a similar thing going on in my Ex and I've already removed my bad air recirculation door, it's gone! When I have the heat set to windshield defroster only, I still get some heat and air flow coming thru my foot or floor vents, besides the defroster vents. I have no clue why that is, but I can live with it. The heat by my feet doesn't bother me.
What I have noticed recently, is that I can hear my air conditioning compressor "clicking or cycling" on and off as I drive, especially when parked next to a bldg or wall you can hear it, even though I have the AC turned off and everyting is set to defrost and the hot temp side. I don't get any cold air coming thru the vents from the AC, just that the compressor is cycling for some odd reason. I don't know if one or the other is connected to each other some how. Is yours doing this as well?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've got a similar thing going on in my Ex and I've already removed my bad air recirculation door, it's gone! When I have the heat set to windshield defroster only, I still get some heat and air flow coming thru my foot or floor vents, besides the defroster vents. I have no clue why that is, but I can live with it. The heat by my feet doesn't bother me.
What I have noticed recently, is that I can hear my air conditioning compressor "clicking or cycling" on and off as I drive, especially when parked next to a bldg or wall you can hear it, even though I have the AC turned off and everyting is set to defrost and the hot temp side. I don't get any cold air coming thru the vents from the AC, just that the compressor is cycling for some odd reason. I don't know if one or the other is connected to each other some how. Is yours doing this as well?

Weird...I'm not experiencing any issues with the AC compressor at all. I don't have any clicking and it's cold as ice when I turn it on. But the issue of airflow always coming through the floor sounds like what's going on with mine.

BigRondo, same to yours except I'm not sure that my airflow is weak. I guess it may be since I've only had the truck for 3 weeks and don't have anything to compare it to. I'm planning on checking my recirc door this week to rule that out.

The issue almost seems to be with the floor vent selector. The floor vents stay on all the time no matter which setting. Although, I guess that wouldn't explain why the defroster stays on when it's set to floor only, but it does turn off when set to dash vents :confused:

except I'm not sure that my airflow is weak. I guess it may be since I've only had the truck for 3 weeks and don't have anything to compare it to. I'm planning on checking my recirc door this week to rule that out.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To check your blower air flow turn the fan speed to it's highest setting #4 and select a vent, like the defroster, and use your hand to feel for the air pressure coming out. With the fan turned to high, you should feel a steady breeze coming out of the vent. Try it on all of the vents and while set to AC or Heat and check for differences.
Note: If your air recirculation door needs to be removed, you do not have to remove the blower motor to remove the air recirc door as in those instructions in the removal post by Curtis. Just remove the 4, outer edge screws (2 each side-L&R) and pry or split open the air recirc door box near the middle. It's easiest to open from the right side (larger opening) of the box and the air recirc door is probably laying flat on it's side, just below the lip of the opening you made in the box. Stick your fingers in there and you feel it move around. The door panel is approx. 11 in long by 5 in high. Try turning it sideways and pull it out by the 5 inch narrow end, it's easier that way.

To check your blower air flow turn the fan speed to it's highest setting #4 and select a vent, like the defroster, and use your hand to feel for the air pressure coming out. With the fan turned to high, you should feel a steady breeze coming out of the vent. Try it on all of the vents and while set to AC or Heat and check for differences.
Note: If your air recirculation door needs to be removed, you do not have to remove the blower motor to remove the air recirc door as in those instructions in the removal post by Curtis. Just remove the 4, outer edge screws (2 each side-L&R) and pry or split open the air recirc door box near the middle. It's easiest to open from the right side (larger opening) of the box and the air recirc door is probably laying flat on it's side, just below the lip of the opening you made in the box. Stick your fingers in there and you feel it move around. The door panel is approx. 11 in long by 5 in high. Try turning it sideways and pull it out by the 5 inch narrow end, it's easier that way.

There's air flow no doubt, and the airflow increases as you increase the blower. I was just saying, while the airflow to me seems fine, maybe it's weaker than it should be and I just don't know it since I've only had the truck for a few weeks. I'm off on Wed. so I'll check the recirc door then, I'm not sure if I want to see it broken or not...

Ok, quick update. I ruled out the recirc door. I opened up the blower motor from beneath the dash and could see the recirc door in the up position clearly in place and not fallen.

Hello Guys,

Did you or anyone resolve this issue?
I have the same issue on my 2004 Explorer:
Always some airflow to the footwell area, although it is insufficient. In the winter, I have cold feet due to low airflow even in the floor vent setting. In the summer, cold A/C air dumps onto my feet giving me cold feet, but not enough to the dash vents.

I have replaced the recirculation door and that is still functioning properly.

Thank you for any guidance you could suggest from your experiences!

Tommy

Dont know if you have gotten this problem solved, but i seem to have the same issue. i did however find the problem i just do not know how to go about fixing it. It appears that the airflow door motor that is behind the radio and to the left is broken which does not allow the airflow to change to the defrost, so it always blows out the floor, or both the floor and the defrost. this motor is similar to the 2 that you can find when you drop the glove box down and look to the left. I have no idea how to get to the motor back behind the radio. Has anyone figured out away and is there a write up for it?

. I have no idea how to get to the motor back behind the radio. Has anyone figured out away and is there a write up for it?

Some of the components to the vent/temp controls can only be reached or repaired by pulling the dashboard off. There are write ups in the forum archives for removing the dash. Just use the search box at the top of the forum to find them, by typing in a question related to a specific repair or problem. Include the year, model and engine specs of your Explorer into your question.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When my 2004 Explorer AC system was throwing hot air I told the dealer the compressor clucth was engaging and disengaging about every 5 or so seconds. I figured I had a leak in the sytem, but didn't notice it click on and off unless I had the windows down when it was nice enough not to be running the A/C. Not sure if that is your issue with the compressor clucth engaging/disengaging. The dealer told me that is common when the freon is low...and they wanted to first replace the mixing door to fix the problem! I told them to give it shot of freon w/ dye and they found the leak (dye) in the evaporator! Saved $600 from them replacing perfectly operating mixing door. Aftyer the shot of freaon, but before fixing the evaporator the clutch stopped constantly engaging and disengaging.

Also, when I first bought the car new the first thing that went was the compressor clutch, agian didn't notice it until I had the windows down one day. that was fixed under warranty.

I recently fixed a problem similar to this. If memory serves one of your actuators isn't functioning in the dash.

Empty then lower your glove box. Crouched beside the truck looking up thru the open glove box toward the center of the truck you'll see several small silver vacuum actuators. I think the linkage on one of yours is broken...

I recently put a new 'lever arm' on mine with lots of plastic welder epoxy.

This is NOT a fun place to work, I hope you have small hands.

I'll try to post a picture.

Weird...I'm not experiencing any issues with the AC compressor at all. I don't have any clicking and it's cold as ice when I turn it on. But the issue of airflow always coming through the floor sounds like what's going on with mine.

The issue almost seems to be with the floor vent selector. The floor vents stay on all the time no matter which setting. Although, I guess that wouldn't explain why the defroster stays on when it's set to floor only, but it does turn off when set to dash vents :confused:

Hey, where have you been? LOL These posts are nearly 3 years old! On my AC compressor running when set to defroster, that turned out to be exactly like it should or was designed. They say the AC running as well as defroster heat helps clear fog from the windshields. What I did notice is, when set to "Floor" vents and heat, the AC compressor "does not" turn on (just like I want it), but I also get air flowing thru the defroster vents so that works for me in winter. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone! :thumbsup:

I

This is NOT a fun place to work, I hope you have small hands.

I'll.

Well that leaves me out! I have hands like "The Crusher"! My shoulder width is as wide as a large refrigerator from side to side, so that doesn't help in tight places either. :D I did manage to remove the broken air recirculation door thru the glove box though.

rsz_1rsz_1vent_selnoid_fix.jpg

You're looking at the linkage on the actuator in the center of the photo.

Here's you'll see the new actuator arm that I 3d printed and glued on... (has kinda a cross-hatch pattern facing the camera)

I have the same issue as jchristian79. Can't just have one direction of air flow, must be dash & floor combo. I've looked at the motor behind the glove box in the upper left. Everything is still attached but it only moves when you switch it to dash & floor option. Any solutions without removing the dash. I am not capable or willing to do that after 12 years and 210,000 miles. Thx Wanda

Bump. I have the same problem. Recirculation door is functioning. Just only have 2 settings, dash and floor, or defrost and floor. How do I fix it??

I have a similar issue. My problem is that I have weak air flow to my defrost and I always have air flow coming out of the floor vents regardless of what position the selector is in.

I haven't jumped into this yet, but I will be sure to post anything I find or fix here.

Big Rondo, did you ever figure this one out? I have the exact same problem you mentioned here. :(

Big Rondo, did you ever figure this one out? I have the exact same problem you mentioned here. :(

I did. I removed the center console and part of the duct going to the rear of the console and blocked it off and the airflow to the defrost increased quite a bit.

I took a bunch of pictures of the procedure so I could do a write up but never got around to it. Maybe it's time I did!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have good temp control & no clicking noise. Rotating the heat/AC control makes no change in where the air comes out - which is everywhere, weakly. The silver vacuum can has been located, but it doesn't look like like those the photos. Mine points upward and appears to be attached to something else. I cant see the mechanical end, but I can get to the vacuum line. I pulled off the vacuum line and could detect a small suction.

Any ideas, especially about the different orientation of the vacuum can?

New info - plenty of air coming out the pipe for the rear vents. Tried covering this with Al tape-no help. Checked area vacuum lines but none appear loose.

Still have weak air at all outlets.

Back