Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Classifieds: Explorer / Ranger / Bronco II Parts For Sale and Wanted > Auto & Truck Parts For Sale > Used Ford Explorer - Ranger and all other Vehicles For Sale

Notices

Used Ford Explorer - Ranger and all other Vehicles For Sale Elite Explorers - Sell your used Ford Explorer, Ranger, Mountaineer, Navajo, Bronco II or any other used vehicle here. Private sales only! Complete vehicles only in this forum. No parts.

1997 Explorer XLT 4x4 -- 5-Speed Manual

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Reach

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1997 Explorer XLT 4x4 -- 5-Speed Manual

Located in Raleigh, NC. Price: $1900

For sale is my 1997 Ford Explorer. It has the rare 5-speed manual transmission. This is the full 4-Door XLT Explorer, not the 2-door Sport. Combine the M5OD trans with a the selectable 4WD and it is ready for any terrain. It is BLACK on the exterior and has a tan leather interior. The leather isn't perfect anymore 15 years later, but it has held up very well with no rips or tears, and only minor stretching on the driver's seat. It does look worn, but it's together.

It is completely stock. No modifications, only maintenance, has kept this truck rumbling and healthy for 203,000 miles. It even has 4 brand new Yokohama all-terrain tires. Balanced, aligned, no CELs, emissions compliant and passes inspection. What more could you ask for?

This truck is a great daily driver, but with two newer cars in the stable I just don't need it anymore. With it's 5-speed and selectable 4x4, this would even make a great truck to turn into a real off-road and/or mud truck. Daily driver / workhorse / plaything... you choose.

THE GOOD:

- Mechanically excellent. I mean it. I have a workshop full of tools and enough free weekends to keep my cars in top shape. I don't keep receipts, but you name it and it's been done here. Major work put in at 190k to engine, clutch, transfer case, heater, alternator, cooling system, and more. I'll toss in my Haynes manual for the car as well.
- CLEAN TITLE in hand. Fully ready to be registered in NC or anywhere else.
- No rust problems. Zero panel rust. Only minor surface rust on the underside, as you would expect to find on a 15 year old car with 200k miles.
- No leaks. No coolant leaks. No oil leaks. No water leaking into the cabin.

THE BAD:

- Headliner is sagging in the rear and about ready to be redone. It waves in the wind a bit when you drive it with the windows down.
- A/C currently does not work. Heater and all HVAC controls do, so I believe it is the blend door issue. It's a cheap fix that requires some labor to do. OK, this is 1 thing I did not get around to fixing.
- Exterior paint is not wonderful. No rust (see above) but it has always looked like the previous owner like to drive it through those car washes that slowly scratch your paint. All paint is original, no retouches, so you'll see it's honest. Front is worse than rear. My assessment: 6 out of 10.

That's it! Email me for any more information and include your phone # to let me know you're serious and you've read this far. Please email, no PM, to mriechers at gmail dot com

Last edited by Reach; 05-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
tjsxplodr
Idaho
1991 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
If only I had the cash and didn't live so damn far away, I'd be all over this!! A '97 stock 5 speed YEAH!!

BUMP for a great looking rig!
tjsxplodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
briwayjones
Elite Explorer
Sykesville, MD

'00 XLS, '03 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If I wasn't jobless and no money I think I would jump on this too. I'm a sucker for Explorers with manual transmissions.

briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Reach

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Bumping this up. I've lowered the price to $1900 and I'm looking for a quick sale.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Reach

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The truck has been sold.

Suggest this thread to friends: