Is there a easy way to switch door lock actuator out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a easy way to switch door lock actuator out?

Phili602

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
I have a 1998 XLT and the front door and passanger rear door arent locking right when I press the lock button. It sounds like the gear inside of it is just spinning freely and not grabbing to lock/unlock these 2 doors. The drivers side isnt as bad as the rear, so Im planning on doing the rear first and then the drivers side 2nd. I do have some different actuators that do work, but I know their rivited in there and was wondering if I am gonna have to tear the whole latch and everything out just to replace the actuator? Also instead of re riviting it back in there, could I use a nut and bolt or a screw to hold the actuator on the door or am I gonna have to re rivet it back on to the door? And whats the easiest way to get my lock to work again?

Would It be easy to install a aftermarket lock actuator instead of changing out the factory 1?

I was going to replace my passenger rear, but I had my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor do it. The hardest part is pry getting the actuator rods unhooked from the failing unit, and then hooking them back up to the new unit.

My neighbor had a punch he specifically ground down to push out the rivet pin since he replaced numerous Ford actuator over the years. You might be able to spread the actuator brackets, and just change out the actuator, instead of having to deal with the rivet issues. I think my neighbor just replaced the whole deal so he would not risk tearing the rubber jacket over the actuator.

He made it look so easy. It pry took my longer to remove them from the junkyard.

I can't remember why he recommended against using a nut and bolt. I just bought a heavy duty rivet gun from Harbor Freight, although I can't remember if he used a rivet he had, or if it is one of them that came with it. Here is the rivet gun...

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...and-riveter-with-collection-bottle-66422.html

Back