Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories

Notices

Explorer - Ranger Interior Accessories Seating, Neons, Custom Upholstery, Headliners, Carpet, Console, etc...

Is there a easy way to switch door lock actuator out?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Phili602
Phoenix
96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Is there a easy way to switch door lock actuator out?

I have a 1998 XLT and the front door and passanger rear door arent locking right when I press the lock button. It sounds like the gear inside of it is just spinning freely and not grabbing to lock/unlock these 2 doors. The drivers side isnt as bad as the rear, so Im planning on doing the rear first and then the drivers side 2nd. I do have some different actuators that do work, but I know their rivited in there and was wondering if I am gonna have to tear the whole latch and everything out just to replace the actuator? Also instead of re riviting it back in there, could I use a nut and bolt or a screw to hold the actuator on the door or am I gonna have to re rivet it back on to the door? And whats the easiest way to get my lock to work again?
Phili602 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Phili602
Phoenix
96 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Would It be easy to install a aftermarket lock actuator instead of changing out the factory 1?
Phili602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
toypaseo
Flunked daycare
outside shovelling snow

................ 96 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I was going to replace my passenger rear, but I had my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor do it. The hardest part is pry getting the actuator rods unhooked from the failing unit, and then hooking them back up to the new unit.

My neighbor had a punch he specifically ground down to push out the rivet pin since he replaced numerous Ford actuator over the years. You might be able to spread the actuator brackets, and just change out the actuator, instead of having to deal with the rivet issues. I think my neighbor just replaced the whole deal so he would not risk tearing the rubber jacket over the actuator.

He made it look so easy. It pry took my longer to remove them from the junkyard.

I can't remember why he recommended against using a nut and bolt. I just bought a heavy duty rivet gun from Harbor Freight, although I can't remember if he used a rivet he had, or if it is one of them that came with it. Here is the rivet gun...

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...tle-66422.html

toypaseo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
RickOTR
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Here's what happens over time to the actuator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCcKW...eature=related
The rivets on these are called a peel rivet, ebay has a lot of them.

2006 Ford GT:
2007 Lincoln MKX
2013 Cadillac ATS
RickOTR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: