Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > All Other Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles etc. > Auto Industry News

Notices

Auto Industry News Here is where you can post the latest news about Explorers and the Ford Motor Company.

Ford CEO is todays one-percenter

Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
cnsheets
2011 Explemoner

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
As the OP, I only posted the article because it was related to Ford and I found it an interesting read. Regarding the title, I simple called it what it was called in the article. They periodically post an article about "today's one-percenter" having to do with some companies CEO and what they have or haven't done and their pay treatment. It was not meant to offend anyone or to make stabs at Mulally or anyone else. Again, It was simply an interesting article that I wanted to share.
cnsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
vig1116
monmouth, NJ
'11 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Don't get me started on these dirty, lazy, occupy wall street losers!!!!! Get a job!!!! ok, I'm ok now. i lost it for a minute......
vig1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
thamusic54
Kearny, New Jersey
2006 Explorer XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Congrats, Mr. Mulally! I choose to admire your work ethic and congratulate your success instead of chastising you because I can't have what you've earned.

From the Mulally schedule:

Yeah, that'd be a good start...
I drive 30 miles to work everyday, in a Ford, Start at 3am,work 13 hours no overtime and I'm still broke.
thamusic54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #24
Rick
Admin
Pumpkin Pilot
Wayoutin, Aridzona

'93 XL Pumpkin Edition

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
I love it, that is the American way. A man (or woman) gets an education, works his or her ass off, and reaps the benefits. THAT is the American way.
My wife has a masters +80. She's been working in her chosen profession for nearly 25 years. It took 10 years to pay off the student loan for her bachelors degree, and another 10 years to pay off the loan for her masters degree.

Today she is earning less than 45k a year. She is also working her ass off. She leaves the house at 7:30 and doesn't get home until 6:30. When she gets home I cook her dinner and the rest of the evening, she's on her computer doing more work for her job.

I seriously doubt that Mullaly would/could last a week in her position. Most people would not put up with what she has to put up with on a daily basis, let alone for 25 years.

I dropped out of high school, have a certificate in automotive technology from a trade school, and a little college work, but no degree. I earn more than twice what my highly educated wife earns.

Can you guess what my wife's job is? EF's version of "What's my line"

2004 Mustang Mach 1
1960 Dodge Dart Seneca
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #25
cnsheets
2011 Explemoner

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
She a pumpkin co-pilot?

She work in the education field?
cnsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
Rick
Admin
Pumpkin Pilot
Wayoutin, Aridzona

'93 XL Pumpkin Edition

Vehicle Specs

Yep, she's a special ed teacher. She teaches 5th - 8th grade in the same room, at the same time. Toughest kids in the school. They are all at different levels, and she has to gear every day's curriculum for each child's level, and ability.

2004 Mustang Mach 1
1960 Dodge Dart Seneca
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #27
Anime
GREEN SCREAM!!
Hattiesburg, MS

'93 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Teaching is definitely one of the most underpaid professions. It's bizarre, given how much they go through to become teachers, and also for how much responsibility they have, and for the well-being of a class full of other people's children in addition to everything else. Strange thing is even though that's been the case for a very, very long time, most of them keep at it. They must enjoy their jobs, or at least the part about working with kids and teaching them. Thumbs up for Char.

The salary thing is still out of whack, in this economy. There's a point at which it's just too much money for any amount of work. 29.5 million? Most people won't make that in their entire lifetime, even if they worked every day, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I could see if you dedicated your life to the company, and were basically being paid to only do that, nothing else, ever. Otherwise a person doesn't even need that much money except to subsidize a lavish lifestyle of conspicuous consumption, so the only reason for paying it, especially if it's a public figure, is for showing off. Money is power, so the more you earn, the more powerful you seem. It's one thing to accept money because you need it to live, it's another to get paid that much and hoard it while your customers can barely make enough to feed their families and still afford gas for their Ford SUV. Maybe he will invest it wisely or donate a good chunk to charity. There are just plenty of CEOs who do their jobs on a salary of $1, because they make so much without a salary they don't need it, and maybe they enjoy their job so much they do it for something besides the money. We have no idea what this guy does with the money he earns, but when compared to the news stores of those CEOs who have a self-imposed salary of $1, and with the country still in a recession, a news story about someone making 26.5 million isn't going to go over well.

Maybe Mr. Mulally should donate some of that money to schools and education programs, and also for whatever needs to get done to pass that legislation that will raise the minimum salaries for teachers and reward those who do their jobs so well.

"I think man has always gone where he has been able to go, and I think that when man stops going where he can go, he will have lost a lot. Man has always been an explorer. To me, there's a fascination in thrusting out and going to new places. It's like going through a door because you find the door in front of you." - Michael Collins
Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
OffTrac
Elite Explorer
Dublin, GA

'01 Sport Trac 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
I don't have a problem with it at all. I guess that's because I never consider what I have in comparison to what others have.

If it's really all that terrible, consider whether you need the lavish things around you or whether your extra expenses could make the lives of an African that much better by building a well for just a couple hundred dollars. That's 10 less trips to McDonald's in a year and could incredibly improve the lives of an entire village.

Everyone is too poor to help those less fortunate than themselves but they also work harder than those below their income level. Anyone making more has gamed the system and certainly isn't smarter and absolutely does not work harder. Anyone making less is either dumb or lazy.

At least some of Obama's agenda is proving successful.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #29
GuardianSport
Lindsay, ON
'00 Sport 4x4 - '98 EB

Vehicle Specs

Yeah, no government bail-out, no scandal in my opinion. If those were tax dollars that would rub me the wrong way.

/¯¯\----/¯¯\ - __-¯¯\
()_)'¯¯`()_)--{}--)_)
It was a blast, old girl.
GuardianSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #30
Rick
Admin
Pumpkin Pilot
Wayoutin, Aridzona

'93 XL Pumpkin Edition

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime View Post
They must enjoy their jobs, or at least the part about working with kids and teaching them.
Char definitely does it for the sake of the kids.

2004 Mustang Mach 1
1960 Dodge Dart Seneca
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #31
Joe Dirt
Elite Explorer

07 Camry

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Eh, it's none of my business what Mulally does with his money.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
GuardianSport
Lindsay, ON
'00 Sport 4x4 - '98 EB

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Char definitely does it for the sake of the kids.
Char invokes the image of a fish.

Congratulations to her having a job that she loves!

/¯¯\----/¯¯\ - __-¯¯\
()_)'¯¯`()_)--{}--)_)
It was a blast, old girl.
GuardianSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #33
StangsandMavs
PA

Vehicle Specs

There are few CEOs who could have done what Mulally has done. It is going to be tough to continue sales acceleration from this point without progress in the securitization market (shadow banking system), but we're looking at 15M US auto sales which is significantly up from the 10M unit mark in 2009. For Ford to have come this far in regards to their balance sheet, without taking TARP funds nor filing for BK, is quite the feat.

However, the issues around Europe are still real and potentially imminent... Ford sales in China are starting to fall off... Brazil is slowing... DC is in a funk... and the Fed's programs are proving more the hinderance to the real domestic economy than help (apparantly Bernanke hasn't gotten the note that commodity inflation really smacks consumers in the face and proves to be a hurdle for margins, confidence, and stability).

So Ford certainly isn't home free, but no business ever is.
StangsandMavs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: