Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Elite Explorer 911!

Notices

Elite Explorer 911! 911! is for situations where your truck is currently out of commission and the owner is in a crisis situation. Members will try to answer your questions asap, no time frame is guaranteed. Only Elite Explorers can post new threads in this forum

Hard to shift.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Desicriminal
Elite Explorer
NJ
2003 Explorer.

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Hard to shift.

Hey guys. It's an honor to be on this forum. I recently purchased a2003 explorer sport. I have only 2 problems with it as of now. The trunk latch is broken. So I can't open it. I would appreciate someone pointing me into the right direction. I'm also having a hard time shifting in to gears. It's like I have to yank it in place. Could it be just my shiter or the slave or master cylinder or is an issue in the tranny? Once again any help is greatly appreciated.

Trupal.
Desicriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Desicriminal
Elite Explorer
NJ
2003 Explorer.

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Anybody?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

You may want to try bleeding the clutch a few times. If that doesn't help, try using the vacuum type bleeder. Again, if that doesn't help time for a new CLUTCH jobs, just make sure you replace everything new (slave cylinder, pilot bearing, ect.)

1. XLT Ranger 4dr 4.0 5 spd 4X4-> K&N filter, grill insert, Stainless steel skid plate, 98 Mountaineer front axles swap, factory motor transplanted and new clutch kit, 3" Flowmaster 40 dual outlet, hard bedcover, JamesDuff traction bars, Bilstien shocks.
2. 1999 K1200RS BMW motorcycle <fast German technology>
3. 2005 Suzuki XL 7, the only small SUV with 7 passengers I could effort under $15K
4. 1970 VW project -needs exhaust, interior, extrical parts..
Ranger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Desicriminal
Elite Explorer
NJ
2003 Explorer.

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you ranger Al. The clutch was replaced about 30k ago. Not sure about the slave or the bearings. The motor was replaced 40 k ago. But I will be sure to go over what you said. I will post my results tomorrow. Once again, thank you.

Trupal
Old 04-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

The clutch system is one of the toughest to remove air. So, it is going to take a few tries to get where you wanted to.

1. XLT Ranger 4dr 4.0 5 spd 4X4-> K&N filter, grill insert, Stainless steel skid plate, 98 Mountaineer front axles swap, factory motor transplanted and new clutch kit, 3" Flowmaster 40 dual outlet, hard bedcover, JamesDuff traction bars, Bilstien shocks.
3. 2005 Suzuki XL 7, the only small SUV with 7 passengers I could effort under $15K
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
JoieRomero

Vehicle Specs

The motor was replaced 40 k ago. But I will be sure to go over what you said. I will post my results tomorrow. Once again, thank you.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How goes? I had a similar issue with my manual, and even though I was only getting fluid out, bleeding it helped immensely.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

I know it is an old post, how does it go? If you have hard time bleeding and still doesn't work, inspect the brake assembly (thats the pot aluminum casting). The pivot point does break and will need to be replace.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

I've been searching and reading up on these master cylinder. The proper way to bleed these system is to bench bleed the master cylinder with the entire line off and do a bleed and the master cylinder have to be at certain angle where the air will come up to the reservoir as you push in the rod in gently back and forth.

Well, I wasn't about to remove the unit. But rather put ramps onto the rear end and drive it back to lift the rear of the truck. I then do my normal bleeding and sure enough after a few tries. NO MORE AIR coming out!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So that worked?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
Ranger Al
Fresno, California
'00 FX4 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Yup, the air bubble start coming out. You also want to keep an eye on the reservior making sure it does not go empty and will see small bubble coming out of the hole. I guessed the key is to be patient and take your time.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Anime
GREEN SCREAM!!
Hattiesburg, MS

'93 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Bleeding multiple times certainly does help, but when the master/slave wears out, they simply must be replaced to get the regular operation back. Otherwise no amount of bleeding will cure a mechanical issue.

Also keep in mind a fluid change sometimes helps, just be sure to use Dex/Merc ATF in the earlier transmissions that call for Mercon, and use Mercon V in the newer ones that spec it.

"I think man has always gone where he has been able to go, and I think that when man stops going where he can go, he will have lost a lot. Man has always been an explorer. To me, there's a fascination in thrusting out and going to new places. It's like going through a door because you find the door in front of you." - Michael Collins
Anime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
BlackLift
Oregon Coast and Portland
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime View Post
Bleeding multiple times certainly does help, but when the master/slave wears out, they simply must be replaced to get the regular operation back. Otherwise no amount of bleeding will cure a mechanical issue.

Also keep in mind a fluid change sometimes helps, just be sure to use Dex/Merc ATF in the earlier transmissions that call for Mercon, and use Mercon V in the newer ones that spec it.
So which years qualify as the "newer ones"?

Having shifting 1-2 and 3-4 trouble with my recently acquired '99 4x4 Sport, that had a new clutch kit about 6k miles ago.

Thanks.
BlackLift is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: