Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Modified 1991-1994 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1991-1994 Explorers Questions concerning modifications to the 1991-1994 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and Navajo. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Any idea what to look for on my submarine?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
SScott
Alabama
1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Talking Any idea what to look for on my submarine?

I went down a creek I go all the time to but heavy rains washed the floor away and the explorer went for a dive in about 4 feet of water. It soaked for about 2 hours until the Calvary came and has been drying out for a month.

When I turn the key on or do the door locks or anything, the dome lights and door lights drain real low like it is a dead battery but I charged it.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks,

Scott
SScott is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Flip4ford
Newton, KS
94' Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow - The motor could be hydro-locked-(water in the pistons) Pull the spark plugs and then try and turn it over-- Did the computer get wet? Does the battery check good? Did you try and start it under water- if so the starter could be bad. Once you get it to turn over you need to check if your air filter is bad, and you will need to drain the oil, tranny fluid, and drain the fluid in the axles. Might even have to "drain" the exhuast.

4:56 Gears/Stubbler
Lockers Front/Rear
6" Susp Lift/SOA/BII Tank
33"x12.5"x15's BFG MT
Flip4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
SScott
Alabama
1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It does it before trying to start, I pulled the plugs and the motor turns by hand fine. If the pooter is in the lower right kick panel....yes. Battery is good. I did try and restart once. Air filter was toast (soggy toast that is), I have all the ducts off. I am changing all the fluids, the front diff was full of water (thinking about adding a drain plug but I have a pump up evacuation tool). I did not think about the exhaust...I may need to drill a small hole in the muffler to see before it rusts out.

Thank you Flip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip4ford View Post
Wow - The motor could be hydro-locked-(water in the pistons) Pull the spark plugs and then try and turn it over-- Did the computer get wet? Does the battery check good? Did you try and start it under water- if so the starter could be bad. Once you get it to turn over you need to check if your air filter is bad, and you will need to drain the oil, tranny fluid, and drain the fluid in the axles. Might even have to "drain" the exhuast.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
tweakedlogic
memphis, tn
'92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

My buddy bought a Ram that was flooded while it was parked. He stripped the entire interior out to let it dry. Pull every fuse and clean the contacts. clean or replace the alternator and ground strap from the battery. Change every fluid several times. You may have to dig under the dash and separate and clean the contacts on all of your wire harnesses.

Good luck. it's a ton of work.

But my buddies truck has been running strong for over two years now.

1992 XLT 4 door 4WD: 32s on 17" Mustang GT rims, 4.56 w/ modified LS in rear, 2.5" lift from F150 coil springs, F250 shock mounts, shackles, Pro comp shocks, hard way rear disc conversion, Ported and polished intake, Dynomax exhaust, e-fan, + other mods I've done since this edit. (Switches, Black,)
tweakedlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
SScott
Alabama
1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you tweaked. While that sounds like a major pain, it is very inspirational knowing it worked out for your buddy. Sounds like I need to just start at the front and work my way back....
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
On the up side, you now have the opportunity to make it all better than new! So while you're in there, you can add relays, replace bulbs, upgrade to LED's, and basically fix everything that Ford should'ove done in the first place. I'm collecting a bunch of parts for just such a project when I yank out my dash.

And you may even consider putting the CPU higher if it needs to be swapped. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
SScott
Alabama
1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks!!! I am going to move it and add a snorkel. I never planned on diving but this time I plan on being prepared. I saw the PVC ones made here and they are nice but I am going to try one of the molded ones for a Land Rover or Jeep, whichever follows the windshield the best.
http://stores.ebay.com/MotorBone1/_i..._sid=864722186
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'd start by looking at some of the newish range rovers, they were briefly owned by ford and I could swear that they looked remarkably similar to our first gens, with more bling.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
SScott
Alabama
1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Just wanted to update. The engine bent a rod so I got a new one and then paid $185 to flush the transmission and drives only to discover the water did a number on the transmission so it blew the same day. I got that rebuilt and the drives changed again and it drives perfect other than some kind of a miss I cant figure out yet and a feeling like a flat spot in my tire at speed.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
Bruces expo
Elite Explorer
Middle GA

91 Mazda Navajo

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Wow sounds like allot of work so far ! , Wouldn't mind getting a Swamped first gen Cheap !

ZAPV#161, 91 Navajo, 3" Bodylift , 2" Skyjacker Coils,Skyjacker shocks , Auto Zone Shackles . Home Made CAI. Thrush Welded Muffler ,Warn locking hub's,Throttle cable mod ,Deleted rear swaybar ,Front sway bar disco's , Clear turns ,Clear tail's,33" Dayton Timberline AT's On Aluminum wheels .
http://www.thequadconnection.com/portal.php
Click the Link For All Your Atv/Quad Needs ! .
Bruces expo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: