Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Champion 7989 sparkplug failure.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Explorer_PL
Rockland County, NY
2006EB,V8, Fisher plow

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Champion 7989 sparkplug failure.

Brief recap of events:

At around 99k miles I developed a miss, that got progressively worse, and at around 101k miles I replaced all 8. 7 came out ok, with screeching and noises. 1 broke in 3 pieces, and I had to drill and tap the head. Installed Champions 7989, and coated them with nickel anti-sieze.

Last month at around 132k miles, I pulled them all out and recoated them again (most of it was gone). All was good for about 3 weeks or so. Yesterday, I went to work and back just driving on 7 cylinders. Found # 4 cylinder not working. Swapped the plug and the coil to # 2, and #4 was ok now, # 2 was missing so I knew it has to be either coil or plug. I still had the original plugs in the garage, so i just screw in the old Motorcraft, and it's fine.

This morning while driving to work, ocasionaly it would miss just a little, so either the old Motorctaft is missing, or another Champion is on its last leg.

I decided to replace all 8 again, and will go with Motorcraft.

Can I use Motorcraft SP515 ?

Nor realy happy with Champions lasting only 32k miles.
Explorer_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
feetwet
Maple Grove, MN
2006 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems like overkill to replace all 8 again.

I had one 7989 that had a hairline crack in the porcelain that caused a misfire, but that was in a brand new plug, not one that had been working for while.

You might want to swap just the coil to another cylinder
feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Explorer_PL
Rockland County, NY
2006EB,V8, Fisher plow

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I swapped both plug and coil. It was still missing, now on #2. So I replaced the 7989 with the original Autolite HT1 that I still had in the garage with 99k miles on it. It got to about 95% good, just ocasional misfire uphill, so I knew the coil was OK, the plug was the issue.

Since I do about 80-100 miles a day, i could not wait, and last night I bought 8 Autolites HT1 at Autozone. Total $103 less 20 rebate. Ebay had same prices. This morning before work I replaced #1 and #2 plugs (took me 10 minutes, I am getting good at it ), and drove about 40 miles and absolutely no misfire. Will replace the rmaining 6 in the next few days. Did not coat it with anything, as I am planning to unscrew them every 20k miles anyway.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Explorer_PL
Rockland County, NY
2006EB,V8, Fisher plow

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Update -

over the weekend I replaced the remaining 6 plugs with the Autolites. Drove about 200 miles so far and not a single miss, waaaaaaay much better than driving with Champions (sorry Champion). Before, any attempt to pass a vehicle on the highway, or going uphill would produce a bucking and miss, and eventualy CEL light. I gueass Champions are not made for Fords.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
feetwet
Maple Grove, MN
2006 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only time my Champions produced a misfire was when I had a hairline crack in the porcelain on one plug. Once I got a significant enough misfire to register an OBDII fault and determine which cylinder was missing... I replaced my cracked plug, since then, they have been great.

If that was the case with yours, perhaps Champion needs to work on their packaging/handling/testing to prevent cracked plugs from getting to consumers.
feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Explorer_PL
Rockland County, NY
2006EB,V8, Fisher plow

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Not sure if I had any cracks, the one that was at fault had the porcelain part much darker. So far so good.

Suggest this thread to friends: