Finally replacing my stock Subwoofer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally replacing my stock Subwoofer

edman1000

Reaction score
City, State
Eden, Ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Finally decided to replace my stock sub woofer setup. I plan on making a custom enclosure with a 10" or 12" and trying to keep it in the same location. I know I might have to bump out the grille a bit but my truck is more or less a beater and I dont mind modifying the stock panels. I currently have the stock one out of a '98 EB expl. (if anyone wants it) It's got the Stock Sub Amp: 85 watts RMS @ 4 ohms and I Replaced the Sub with the JL audio 8w1v2

I'm open for suggestions from you guys as I have never really atempted an audio project like this before. I'm upgrading the factory head unit to a pioneer 8500BT and I need help on the amp and sub options.

Here it is, got it out to take some measurements. It's staying out to motivate me to get it done too!

stocksub.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keep in mind if you upgrade the size of woofer, you mess with the size of the box, and that each sub woofer preforms its best with the correct box.

Good luck with your setup. Post up pictures when you're done.
I however am finally getting around to removing mine and putting in one of those little storage bins. My stock sub quit when I put my system in.

Thanks guys and thanks for the link. I'm trying to figure out what speaker/amp I want to go with so I can build my box now. Theres tons of info online on how to do this so I'm not too worried. I'll make sure to take pics.

What I was really looking for was suggestions for amp/woofer combo.

Hopefully when I sell my stock enclosure, it'll help pay for the new crap!

I've owned Memphis, MTX and Kenwood subs. They all hit great in the respective order. They all were 12" though. The infinity speakers that are in my EX right now are truly amazing so I don't doubt they make a great sub too.
Whatever you choose it will be better than the stocker!

Back