Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"« > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Performance Lighting

Notices

Performance Lighting Aftermarket lighting. Driving lights, fog lights, rock lights, HID, halogen. Make your Ford Explorer light up the night!!

Quick wiring question

Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Karpiel73
Pittsburgh, PA
'01 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quick wiring question

I'm outlining my cargo trailer with LEDs and I plan to run an 8 gauge wire from the battery the entire way to the rear of the trailer. (with a quick connect at the tongue)
My question is, would I be okay using an inline fuse that uses 10 gauge wire and a blade fuse? I can't find an inline fuse that uses 8 ga. wire. Oh and I'll be drawing about 15-20 amps and have about a 34ft run from battery to trailer rear door, hence the 8 gauge power wire.

Thanks!

2001 Ex. Sport 4x4: 20" Zinik Z9 wheels, 2.5" spacers on rear only, CAI, Gibson cat-back, SCT tuned, shackles (HISTORY!), F150 leafs added into Explorer pack, Airlifter helper springs, 2.5% tint, orange underbody neons 2 weeks of mods

1972 GMC 2500 Sierra Grande: 350 cubic inches of happiness on 16" chrome AR wheels
Karpiel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
rickybobby
Battle Creek, mi
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
go to a stereo shop, they have in-line fuses for as big as 00gauge

Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
It spatters at both the beginning and end of the stroke. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
Pro, but the dongle I had quit working.
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Karpiel73
Pittsburgh, PA
'01 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Went to the local stereo shop and got an inline Maxi blade fuse holder. The wire on it says 8 Gauge but the guys said it's actually 10 gauge
Anyway, they said there would be no problem with using that fuse. But I couldn't get a word in edge wise cause I guess my knowledge wasn't on their level So hopefully they're right.

2001 Ex. Sport 4x4: 20" Zinik Z9 wheels, 2.5" spacers on rear only, CAI, Gibson cat-back, SCT tuned, shackles (HISTORY!), F150 leafs added into Explorer pack, Airlifter helper springs, 2.5% tint, orange underbody neons 2 weeks of mods

1972 GMC 2500 Sierra Grande: 350 cubic inches of happiness on 16" chrome AR wheels
Karpiel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Bill Kemp
Elite Moderator Emeritus
Greenville, MI

98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your running your wire under the X be sure to put 2 wire looms over it. You wont believe the short life of an uncovered wire under an X. That is why the MFG. run all the wires inside the veh.

Clones are people two.
Bill Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: