1992 Explorer 5.0 swap thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer 5.0 swap thread

Gotta love an engine that is about as squared as a motor can get with it's 4"x3" (302 CI) (4.9 L) bore/stroke ratio and then at firing at every 90 deg. Now if I could only see the engine in those pics. I was able to make out a hint of a valve cover.
Like the way your thinking this out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great. Some insight to your oil pan issue: 96-98 used the cast aluminum oil pans where the 99-01's used a stamped steel pan. I ran into the issue of oil pan clearance when I dropped the 5.0 into my 96 with the disconnect axle style. My solution was to just put a 97 front axle in. In your case I don't see anyway around getting a later model oil pan and modifying it. It's far easier to modify a steel pan than a cast aluminum one.

yep, the 5.0 fits real nice in there. Granted once we figured out the james duff mounts it finally sat in there good. but it still looks like we are going to need a duel sump oil pan to clear the drop bracket and to allow clearance with the passenger side traction beam. so stay tuned!

Is the only interferance with the current pan the drop brackets/current I-Beam? So those with a different axle set up (i.e. solid axle) would have no worries there?

Yes Randall you are right. Any one with a SAS on there explorer or was 2wd would be ok to run this pan.

I did purchase a Mudstain pan on Ebay last night. hoping with the new pan all will provide the clearance and if not they are stamped steal which is easier to modify.

Also the EGR port covers on the GT40 heads from the 97 Motor hit the fire wall on the driver side. I am thinking of making a thiner cover and moving the motor back another 3/8" or so.

Sweet Build , JPX Is Awesome ! I Remember When It First Was Painted And Now The 5.0 Swap NICE ! Subscribing !

Thanks to Jon Smith....

317981_3695098888898_1033847897_n.jpg

Looking sweet!!! Keep up the good work.

What type of motor mounts did you end up using?

Any other issuses with fitment?

I used the new James duff mounts only issues I found were the instructions are poor.

Dark pics I am sorry...

Pan clearance.

319476_3705822476981_1635882168_n.jpg

driver side motor mount.

293734_3705834877291_183003568_n.jpg

passenger mount.

528016_3705836597334_966582300_n.jpg

trans tunnel

Looking good Cant Wait for more !

There has not been much progress do to my lack of funding in my checking acct. but here is a photo of how it looks setting in the truck.

488104_3726048622622_1447407430_n.jpg

BTW Turtle does a great job on his powder coating. every one here needs a little Turtle in there Trucks.

So after months of head scratching looking at the motor in the engine bay and wondering why is this thing so flippin high in the engine bay. These aftermarket motor mounts put the motor up way higher then I wanted the motor. So, with the help of a welder buddy away I went cutting a notch in the oil pan and modifying the James Duff motor mounts to get this motor to play limbo in the engine bay. So how low can you go 5.0?

(lost photos)

New oil pan clearance at the drop bracket

AC compressor clearance at the frame rail

Hey look the exit of the passenger exhaust has clearance now!!!

Looks like I will have AC too.

Room for the transmission to fit too

Steering has clearance too

Thoughts? comments?

Looking good Kris!

Just going to throw out the fact that the cast manifolds from a 99-up might even fit in a bit tighter. And they will flow better.

I might do torque monsters in the future.

That's an excellent mod. Every bit you can get the engine down, the better it will be for the trucks center of gravity as well. They say as a rule of thumb, the CG for any passenger vehicle is along the centerline of the crankshaft.

The goal here is to actually complete a 5.0 swap into a first gen 4wd WITHOUT a body lift OR a suspension lift. by modifing the james duff motor mounts, the oil pn, and some grinding on the driver side drop bracket, i believe we will be able to accomplish something no one has before (unless i stand corrected lol)

wow exciting thread ive been thinking of doing the exact same thing to my 92 !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kris, is this project still ongoing? I may be starting a nearly identical swap late this year and would love to pick your brain on some swap questions, and maybe meet up (I'm in Arkansas).

Back