How to: - Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Coil-Overs and ditch T-bars

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Ride quality, particularly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

niiice work man

Awesome info. Ive already emailed jmyers about cost and that i wanted some. I figured till i order the correct coilivers, i could at least get the brackets on the truck, then install coilivers later.

Actually, ya im an idiot... Shocks are in the way. I could just go no shocks and wear out the torsion bars... Heh

Part Numbers for Coil Overs (From ORW.com)

Fox Emulsion 2.0s = 980-02-001-A
Eibach Springs = 1200.250.0800
Spanner Wrench = 07-100
Spanner Wrench = 07-102

Total Cost = $533.48

Part Numbers for Coil Overs (From ORW.com)

Fox Emulsion 2.0s = 980-02-001-A
Eibach Springs = 1200.250.0800
Spanner Wrench = 07-100
Spanner Wrench = 07-102

Total Cost = $533.48

Awesome man! May I ask what the Spanner Wrench's are for? I'm feeling lost.

Spanners are for adjusting the coil-spring load on the shock.
Basically for ride height

How much lift is this giving you on the front? I'm having trouble estimating with your tires and body lift. It looks like that will adjust low enough for stock ride height. (not that wouldn't make any sense to do after spending 500 bucks for ground clearance, just trying to get an idea of the range of that setup.) I'm guessing that you are in the neighborhood of 2-3 inches given the fact you are using the 3" longer brake lines, and taking into account you probably have slightly more wheel travel than you did with your torsion bars.

You really aren't "gaining" ground clearance. This kit doesn't actually give you anymore travel than if you had torsion bars. I'll go ahead and post up what I posted up on the r-f.

too add to this list as well, if you choose to add preload to your coils to get lift out of your truck like i did, i ran 600lb 12" springs and did ok. youre not really supposed to add preload as it doesnt use the spring rates correctly but i had to clear tires. as of now after doing shock hoops and a arms, i need a taller spring, about a 14" spring and need but keep the same spring rate. and im moving to spindles, which clears the tires so i dont need to add preload/ not as much preload.

another thing is that if you do get the conversion kit with brackets, you arent really gaining much travel. it does eliminate a bad ride yes but it uses a shock about the same length as a stock one. if you plan on adding preload to your springs to get lift, you will loose down travel and gain up travel and vice versa (clearly). it will be as if you had a TT but with a better ride. i suggest that if you are trying to clear tires either get a body lift(2wd and 4wd), superlift (4wd), or spindles (2wd), so you can utilize all of the stock wheel travel that you had before lifting the truck. the reason for this is the placement of the lower ball joint in the a arm. the ball joint can only pivot so far before being maxed out. i had mine maxed out when i had torsion bars, and i had them maxed out when i had the coilover brackets.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from this kit. its a great kit, especially to get rid of the torsion bars but you wont really gain much travel if not any travel from doing so. another suggestion is dont get the kings. i had only about an inch or two of shoch shaft showing. i was bottoming the shock out before the truck bottomed out. which as yall should know is not good and i had the stock suspension. yes the quality is hands down the best i have ever seen. but it just wont work with the bracket setup, the shock compression length is just too far off. (well they can work but you can potentially damage the shock if you ran them). the fox shocks will do fine. for a stock suspension (includes TT'd trucks, body lifted trucks, and spindle lifted trucks) i know that the numbers from the ORW kit was 4.375" travel coilover with a 10-12" spring. you can run a 5" travel coilover im sure since its only .625" of an inch taller. as for guys with the superlift, can run the fox 6.5" travel coilover. just to fill the gap that the lift gives you in the first place. of course shock travel is different from wheel travel.

so, if you are asking the question, "is there any way i can get more travel than stock?" the answer is yes there is easiest being to loose the sway bar links, but thats about it when it comes to stock componets. the best way to maximize wheel travel is by a) changing the angle at which the lower ball joint sits in the a arm, b) changing shock mount locations, and c) different upper control arms. which all of those can be found in a mid travel kit or a long travel kit.

With lift it's different. Yes it will lift the truck just about as much as you had torsion bars. Really the only benefit is that it rides a little bit better and eliminates the torsion bars hanging down. If you did do the conversion and wanted to clear tires I suggest get a body lift, install the coilovers and don't add preload to the coils.

Thanks Shooterdude! Very clear and complete writeup. The goal of my install was to get rid of the torsion bars, nothing more. I was getting hung up on rocks. I did preload the springs a bit to clear the 35s. But not by much. My down travel is perfect for the trails I've run, I have yet to have any wheels leave the ground; i'm always on all fours ;-).
Keep in mind I have no swaybars at all, neither front nor rear.

Man, this is just too awesome. So how has your setup held up? Anything break or start rubbing yet? I've been looking around for ways to beef up the capability of the IFS rather than swapping a solid axle in, and this is something I've been thinking about a lot.

Have you done any somewhat fast offroading with it to see how it feels? I'm not talking pre-runner stuff, but just a bit of speed on an open trail.

And another question for you: If I get the superlift kit and only want to run 33x12.5s, I shouldn't need to preload the springs, right?

hey i have a welder that i know and could make those brackets, does anyone have the deminsions of the brackets?

Oooh, thanks. If Myers doesn't make them anymore, that'll be a major help to everyone. We won't have to pay big money or spend a crapload of time figuring out the brackets ourselves.

So I guess I'm terrible at googling. I did a bit more searching and found this on Ranger-Forums.com : http://www.ranger-forums.com/suspension-tech-36/coilover-brackets-119089/

These are some really, really nicely made brackets. I asked to be added to the list, hopefully there's still an open slot. The price isn't too bad either, but I'd honestly pay nearly anything to get rid of torsion bars.

Just ordered mine from ME00Stepside on the ranger-forums :D :D DominicanX, are you still running the Superlift shocks in the rear, or have you found a better option for 4" longer Ex shocks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoa! When did my write-up get "stickied". What an honor this is. :)

Back