Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

2005 Explorer mystery beep... any clue?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2005 Explorer mystery beep... any clue?

Please see the post below. : )

Last edited by gofster; 01-27-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: double post
gofster is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Try this again

I think I messed up my initial post, which is why I'm not getting any responses. lol!

Anyhow, this is a weird mystery beep that started a few months ago in my 2005 Ford Explorer. At first it would only happen when it was cold, then it would stop after about 10 minutes. It's slowly gotten worse to where it now beeps all the time, even after the truck has warmed up. There are no dummy lights or other warning lights on, and I've shown it to at least 4 mechanics, none know what the beep is.

If you know or have an idea, please post in the comments or drop me an email. I appreciate it! : )

Mystery beep 2005 Ford explorer - YouTube
If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
03explorereb
cuba, missouri
02,02,03,03,03,eb,xlt4x4s

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
beats the shit out me...
i've never heard such noise and i have owned a bunch of explorers. does yours have remote start or some other add on? also, does it change/go away when you're messing with your climate control dials? grasping at straws here...
03explorereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
DAT05EXPLODER
Hampton, New Hampshire
2002 XLT 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

is it louder looking under the hood? possibly the belt or any of those components connected.
DAT05EXPLODER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
thepotroast
Asheville, NC
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Possible that the truck had some type of GPS or Lo-Jack system installed in it at one time (maybe from the previous owner) and the Li-Ion battery is going out? Normally these are hardwired in, but most have a battery backup in them (just like a CPU in a computer....) and that may trigger the beeping?

That sound would drive me nuts
thepotroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03explorereb View Post
beats the shit out me...
i've never heard such noise and i have owned a bunch of explorers. does yours have remote start or some other add on? also, does it change/go away when you're messing with your climate control dials? grasping at straws here...
Thanks for the response, yeah, it's crazy! Nope, no remote start or other add-on's that I know about other than a DVD player for the kids where the dome light was in the center of the ceiling.

And no, it doesn't go away after messing with any of the controls. Yeah, it has me baffled too. It seems to be centered in the center console just off of where the cup holders are.

The sound is almost constant now and only stops after I've been driving the truck a lot in one day and it's really warmed up.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepotroast View Post
Possible that the truck had some type of GPS or Lo-Jack system installed in it at one time (maybe from the previous owner) and the Li-Ion battery is going out? Normally these are hardwired in, but most have a battery backup in them (just like a CPU in a computer....) and that may trigger the beeping?

That sound would drive me nuts
Thanks! Yeah, it DOES drive me nuts! lol! That's a thought, it's worth looking into. A friend suggested that it might be some kind of alarm for the air bag.

I just bought the truck last year. It has 165K on it, but I think they're mostly highway miles because the rest of the truck is in beautiful condition.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT05EXPLODER View Post
is it louder looking under the hood? possibly the belt or any of those components connected.
Nope, it's all located inside the cab, no exterior noise at all. It's a puzzling one for sure! lol!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
jp450
Pepperell, MA

'05 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Not a sound that I have ever heard of in my 05. I 2nd the after market device idea.
Subscribing... Let us know if you find it...

Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
stuntman
Ridgecrest, CA
1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

It's gonna blow!!

That's a bummer, but I'll 3rd the after market device. Good luck finding it.
stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
jstorm001
Levittown , PA
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Exclamation

Do you have that progressive snapshot? I had it that thing beeped sometimes . I also don't recommend it at all because it destroyed one of my O2 sensors also read online people had the same problem with it.
jstorm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Donystoy
Elite Explorer
Hamilton, Ontario
02 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I had a similar issue a few years back. Mine turned out to be an open rear hatch window. I had probably pressed the rear hatch button on the key fob by accident one day. The hatch just released enough to intermittently operate the alarm switch. I just re-closed the hatch window and end of problem. I understand that a defective side door latch switch can also cause an intermittent beep. My beep seemed to be coming from the right dash area but hard to narrow down.
Donystoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstorm001 View Post
Do you have that progressive snapshot? I had it that thing beeped sometimes . I also don't recommend it at all because it destroyed one of my O2 sensors also read online people had the same problem with it.
No, Progressive Snapshot. That's a good thing to remember though, thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donystoy View Post
I had a similar issue a few years back. Mine turned out to be an open rear hatch window. I had probably pressed the rear hatch button on the key fob by accident one day. The hatch just released enough to intermittently operate the alarm switch. I just re-closed the hatch window and end of problem. I understand that a defective side door latch switch can also cause an intermittent beep. My beep seemed to be coming from the right dash area but hard to narrow down.
I accidentally did this once myself too, but it didn't make any noise, it just said open tailgate in the status gauge. I've gone through and open and closed all the doors, windows, and any other thing like that. No luck.

One thing I have wondered about is whether it could have something to do with a blown fuse or something like that? Is that possible?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntman View Post
It's gonna blow!!

That's a bummer, but I'll 3rd the after market device. Good luck finding it.
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder myself if it's going to blow! lol!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp450 View Post
Not a sound that I have ever heard of in my 05. I 2nd the after market device idea.
Subscribing... Let us know if you find it...
Thanks JP, I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully, with all of your help, I can figure out what it is. I certainly appreciate all of your help, thanks! : )
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
XplorerRayskee
Northern California
2002 XLT 4x4 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

Run a carfax on your ex. I'm curious if it was a rental car in the past. I bought mine used from a wholesale dealer. They had to remove some tracking device they said was causing problems before I could have it. Although I don't know what the problem was or if it was beeping. I did confirm with the dealer that after I saw the car fax and saw my ex was a rental car in the past that the tracker was from the rental company.

EBC Green Stuff 6000 Series Pads - K & N CAI - Magna Flow Muffler - Draw Tight Towing Package with Aviator Electronics Brakes System - Kumho SAT Road Venture 245/70 r16 - Code Alarm Keyless entry/starter - TIMKEN wheel hub assembly x4 - OBDII Bluetooth transmitter to Nexus 7 running Torque - Optima Red Top.
XplorerRayskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
thepotroast
Asheville, NC
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplorerRayskee View Post
Run a carfax on your ex. I'm curious if it was a rental car in the past. I bought mine used from a wholesale dealer. They had to remove some tracking device they said was causing problems before I could have it. Although I don't know what the problem was or if it was beeping. I did confirm with the dealer that after I saw the car fax and saw my ex was a rental car in the past that the tracker was from the rental company.
The tracking device is a GPS that some high-risk car dealers (as well as rental car companies) typically use. Which brings me back to my post above and theory that this is what is actually beeping in the truck.
thepotroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
gofster
Washington State
2005 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
AHA!!!! I finally figured out what it was last week. there's a DVD player installed where the dome light was, but one of the special features is that there's a panel on the back end of the center console where you can plug in a game console like an Xbox, so the kids can play video games as well as watch movies.

Anyhow, there's a power switch on that panel and it was in the On position. I discovered it after trying to trace the sound and taking a closer look at the center console.

So yes, those of you that suggested that it was some aftermarket type thing were right. : )

Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it!! : )
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
jp450
Pepperell, MA

'05 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the update. Glad you found it.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
beep, beeping, ford explorer