Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

2013 Explorer Recall 13S04 FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT

Old 06-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #21
sgtdon
Elite Explorer
Northwest Ohio

2013 Ford Explorer XLT V6

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just talked to my Dealer today about the recall and the sulpher smell.

They told me that it was a plastic piece on the fuel pump. You will see gas on the ground and smell raw gas outside the vehicle. They also told me they would not have any replacement parts in until August or later.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Hey everyone,

I wanted to check in to make sure everybody is being taken care of. Recalls are VIN specific, so send me your VIN in a PM and I’ll be happy to review to see if there is a recall assigned to your car. You can also go to this link to input your VIN to check for recalls:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...ge/RecallsPage

For those experiencing a concern, please immediately PM me your contact info (full name, VIN, best daytime phone number, mileage, and dealer details) so I can arrange a call from your respective regional customer service managers.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
sgtdon
Elite Explorer
Northwest Ohio

Vehicle Specs

I just used the Vin check for recalls and mine is in it.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
rwc_explorer
2013 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

I just got off the phone with the Ford dealer where I bought my 2013 Explorer XLT. They said they'll take me in on monday, give me a rental car (through my extended service plan) and they'll take care of the recall next week. The service writer said that they can do a special order to those who smell the fumes already. A mass order to take care of all the recalls aren't ready yet.
rwc_explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #25
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump is and if this is something we can easily inspect?
From what I can see, the fuel pump is part of the gas tank itself and mounted on the top of it. Part #9275.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...xplorer#Search

Peter

( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
C. Randall
Pollock Pines, CA
2012 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

My coworker who bought a used 2013 XLT has her vehicle into the dealership I use for this issue (filled up the tank, smelled fuel inside and outside of the vehicle). The standard fix for this issue did not resolve the issue, and they need to replace the entire fuel tank. They're going to have her Ex in the shop for two weeks waiting for parts...
C. Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #27
LukerDooker
N.E.
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Randall View Post
My coworker who bought a used 2013 XLT has her vehicle into the dealership I use for this issue (filled up the tank, smelled fuel inside and outside of the vehicle). The standard fix for this issue did not resolve the issue, and they need to replace the entire fuel tank. They're going to have her Ex in the shop for two weeks waiting for parts...
There are 2 current recalls, one for a few cars with a possible fuel tank leak from the tank seams, and the latest covering many cars for a fuel pump leak.
LukerDooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #28
Va_SHO
Woodbride, Va
2013 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I drive a 12 interceptor at work and it was part of those first 600. When you got in the car you could smell gas but I thought someone had spilled it on themselves the day prior and that they had drove after. I expected the smell to go away but the opposite happened. I didn't have any puddles of fuel under the car it was just the strong constant smell of gas in the car.

Luckily they had a valve and fixed my cruiser in a couple of days after they figured out what the problem was.

My sport isn't part of the recall luckily but if you start to smell that you should definitely make your dealer fix it asap. Fuel vapors are combustible so lets see how long it takes for one of you smokers to get your explorer to burst into flames while lighting up.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
TexasExplorer3
Texas
2013 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Recall 13S04

I am scheduled for service on our 2013 Limited on Monday. They say 3-4 hours for the fix. Is this what everyone is experiencing?
TexasExplorer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
sgtdon
Elite Explorer
Northwest Ohio

Vehicle Specs

Are the dealers having a problem getting the Fuel Module for the recall on the Explorer?

Last edited by sgtdon; 06-17-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: wrong wording
sgtdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #31
sgtdon
Elite Explorer
Northwest Ohio

Vehicle Specs

Question

I talked to my Insurance Agent over the weekend. He told me something that I never thougth about. I was told that since Ford has advised me on the recall and for the TSB that I am officially on notice about the problem.

If I countinue to drive the car knowing it has a problem that they will not be responsible if anything happens? He seemd to be serious about it.

Does anyone have any type of experience with this info? Or have any suggestions?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #32
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdon View Post
I talked to my Insurance Agent over the weekend. He told me something that I never thougth about. I was told that since Ford has advised me on the recall and for the TSB that I am officially on notice about the problem.

If I countinue to drive the car knowing it has a problem that they will not be responsible if anything happens? He seemd to be serious about it.

Does anyone have any type of experience with this info? Or have any suggestions?
Does the recall notification tell you to not drive the Explorer? If not, then I don't see why there should be a big problem. I've read some recall notices that advise the owner to 'park' their vehicle and arrangements will be made to deliver it to the dealer. It basically comes down to what the actual issue is and what danger, if any, it constitutes.

Please clarify who "they" is. Are you referring to Ford or the insurance company?

Peter

Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:

Risk is low with this recall as mentioned before there is nothing combustable around the area that might leak. I just asked my dealer how long for parts and was told couple of months.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit
Sgt1411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #34
sgtdon
Elite Explorer
Northwest Ohio

Vehicle Specs

I ran the vin a week or so ago and found my vehicle was in it. When I logged into My Ford Owner account and clicked uynder recall it came up and advised me of it also. My insurance agent was just giving her opinion on the matter.

I did go down to the dealership today and told them what my insurance agent said. They told me that as long as I am on the list to repair the recall and the part is on order under my name, that is all I can do. They were very nice and undertanding.

Now how long is Ford going to take to get the fuel module out to the dealerships so they can repair them?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #35
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Parts will become more available in 2 weeks

Right now its shipped only for leaking or smelling gas.

Fuel module is what gets replaced, when I asked if the fuel pump is also replaced I was told there is no tradition pump anymore its a fuel sending module. The defective part is built into the sending module.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
sgtdon
Elite Explorer
Northwest Ohio

Vehicle Specs

Sgt1411, Thanks for the info. Did the dealer tell you they were going to be more available in a couple of weeks or did Ford? It is good that Ford is taking care of the people with leaking ones first. Mine does not leak yet and I hope it stays that way until they can replace it. Nice to see a brother on here! (L.E. almost 40yrs)

Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
kanetke
houston tx

Vehicle Specs

Thumbs down 3 wks now

My 2013 Limited has been at Planet Ford in Houston for 3 wks now. No idea when it will be done. The customer service there is appalling and Ford Motor company is not much better. I will never buy another Ford. I thought buying a 45K+ SUV would get you some kind of customer service. I guess not. SHAME on you Ford!!!
kanetke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #38
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Sgt1411, Thanks for the info. Did the dealer tell you they were going to be more available in a couple of weeks or did Ford? It is good that Ford is taking care of the people with leaking ones first. Mine does not leak yet and I hope it stays that way until they can replace it. Nice to see a brother on here! (L.E. almost 40yrs)
Ford told me not the dealership.

July should be the month to get the recall done even if your not leaking or smelling fuel

kanetke you need to PM the Ford CS rep on here and get them involved in your situation

Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #39
daisybytes
Plano, TX
2013 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Angry bad bad business

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanetke View Post
My 2013 Limited has been at Planet Ford in Houston for 3 wks now. No idea when it will be done. The customer service there is appalling and Ford Motor company is not much better. I will never buy another Ford. I thought buying a 45K+ SUV would get you some kind of customer service. I guess not. SHAME on you Ford!!!
im in the same situation. I only had my new car for a week and its been at the dealers for over 3. They told me they wont have a part till June 28th. Im never buying a Ford again!
daisybytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #40
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisybytes View Post
im in the same situation. I only had my new car for a week and its been at the dealers for over 3. They told me they wont have a part till June 28th. Im never buying a Ford again!
I empathize with not having your brand new vehicle to drive I would be just as upset but keep in mind this recall is because the fuel sending unit part supplier didn't meet Ford's specs.

Ford did the right thing and recalled all effected vehicles.

Get Ford CS involved on this forum they often get things moving faster then dealership speed.

Suggest this thread to friends: