• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window washer

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 02 Merc. Mounty and the read window washer has quit spraying. It is full of fluid and the front still works. I took the sprayer end off on the rear and I could blow threw it so it isn't stopped up. I don't know where the pump is located to see if it is trying to work or anything. Just don't know how and where to start trouble shooting this. Thanks in advance.
Stu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your Explorer uses 1 washer pump to get 2 jobs done. It spins one direction for flow to the windshield and the other direction for the read window. The pump is attached to the side of the reservoir.

I would post someone by the tank while somebody else activates the switch to listen for the pump to operate. If you can't hear the pump, then it may be the switch. If you do hear the pump it is either that the pump is bad or blockage in the line to the rear.

Sounds like the line running from the reservoir to the rear washer has come apart. Find the line under the hood and have someone sit inside and activate the rear washer. You should be able to see where the line has come apart. Use some duct tape and tape it back together and you should be good to go.

I have a 02 Merc. Mounty and the read window washer has quit spraying. It is full of fluid and the front still works. I took the sprayer end off on the rear and I could blow threw it so it isn't stopped up. I don't know where the pump is located to see if it is trying to work or anything. Just don't know how and where to start trouble shooting this. Thanks in advance.
Stu

Stu, glad to see you around. I hope all is well.

Let me know if you want me to PM the troubleshooting steps from my shop manuals. :):thumbsup:

-- Rondo

Stu, glad to see you around. I hope all is well.

Let me know if you want me to PM the troubleshooting steps from my shop manuals. :):thumbsup:

-- Rondo

I'm having a similar problem except mine is spraying fluid straight down to the ground. I haven't been able to get up under it enough yet to see if the hose came off or not.

Any chance you could post those up in the thread for others?

I'm having a similar problem except mine is spraying fluid straight down to the ground. I haven't been able to get up under it enough yet to see if the hose came off or not. Any chance you could post those up in the thread for others?

I can't post that stuff in the thread due to copyright rules.

Where is the fluid being dumped on the ground? Check the hoses on the pump. There are 2. 1 for the front and 1 for the back. It is possible that the rear hose has come loose.

Thanks guys. Ya Im still alive. Just been really busy. Hope you all are ok and thanks again.
Stu

Found the culprit.

There is a splice in the rear hose up along the RH side inner fender under the hood. For whatever reason the hose had come off the barb and was just spraying fluid out. Can be seen here right under the black box.
IMAG1262_zpse373186b.jpg

Zoomed out view..
IMAG1263_zps8bd594f3.jpg

Rear Washer Leaking

My sister has a 2004 XLT that is dripping washer fluid from above the right rear tire when activating the rear washer. Is the line to the rear in the bottom of the interior panel or in the overhead?

I just had to fix this on our Explorer and this made it easy to find.

Back