Cabin fuse box location / access | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cabin fuse box location / access

Unless they have moved it in newer modles, it is under the dash in an area above the parking brake. The fuse box is located just sightly up and to the left of the plug above the yellow sideways 'A' in the picture. And for more free info, the white sticker with the bar code shows your driver's side door code (changed to 0's for the pic).

Peter

Peter - Do you know if the turn signal / flasher relay is located there? Couldn't find anything in manual, dealers service writer said to bring it in and drop it off .

This might be part of the computer don't know. I the removed 2 relays in the engine compartment and the flashers kept flashing.

I'm going to do a LED turn swap and if hyper-flashing occurs, thought this would be easier to swap out flasher relay (if we have them} for one that's made for LEDs-non LEDs than doing resistors.

Thanks in advance, your knowledge of the Ex is always appreciated.

tinner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter - Do you know if the turn signal / flasher relay is located there? Couldn't find anything in manual, dealers service writer said to bring it in and drop it off .

This might be part of the computer don't know. I the removed 2 relays in the engine compartment and the flashers kept flashing.

I'm going to do a LED turn swap and if hyper-flashing occurs, thought this would be easier to swap out flasher relay (if we have them} for one that's made for LEDs-non LEDs than doing resistors.

Thanks in advance, your knowledge of the Ex is always appreciated.

tinner
Hey tinner. Check out post 8 in the following thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384416&highlight=flasher

Seems there is no physical flasher unit. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter- Missed that one, just found info on earlier Gen Exs.

OK - so I will say this again - what f*&#($% idiot located the interior fuse block where they did? You have to be a contortionist to change out a fuse. I'm just glad it happened in June, and not February.

MORONS!!!!!!!!

I agree 100%.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I don't think that I'd ever attempt to get at that fuse box, at least not without someone standing by to extricate me if required. Not sure if the location is the same on my MKT since there is a large plastic cover over the entire area under the dash. I'm guessing it is in the same place.

Peter

Locating it is one thing. Getting at it is quite another. It is a ridiculous place to mount it. I think it may have been designed this way so that some owners will have to take the vehicle back to the dealer and then get charged to have a fuse replaced.

Peter

Bingo!

I'm guessing it was a group design effort. Someone said "hey, crap, can you believe we didn't consider the location of the fuseblock when we shortened/widened/redesigned the passenger compartment?" Then someone else said "no problem, we still have this weird shaped space on the outside wall, behind the parking brake, that only a leprechaun could gain easy access to."

And some other moron said, "cool, that is enough space to cram the fuse panel into".

MORONS!

I'm guessing it was a group design effort. Someone said "hey, crap, can you believe we didn't consider the location of the fuseblock when we shortened/widened/redesigned the passenger compartment?" Then someone else said "no problem, we still have this weird shaped space on the outside wall, behind the parking brake, that only a leprechaun could gain easy access to."

And some other moron said, "cool, that is enough space to cram the fuse panel into".

MORONS!

All car manufacturers engineer their cars so it is not easy for the average person to fix.

I just had to replace a license plate bulb on my Saab. Required a specific and small allen wrench to unscrew the cover. Easy job for me as I work on my cars and have tools, but for many that is a trip to the dealer and $30 (with the opportunity for them to find other "problems") when it cost me 20 cents for the bulb.

Try getting to the Saab alternator to replace it. It's been like that with just about every Saab repair I have done, but I have saved thousands over the years doing it myself.

Interior Fuse Panel Location

Hello to all! Just purchased a 2014 Explorer Sport. Have had Ford's all my life. My father is retired from Ford and the Z Plan really helps.
I have a question, where is the interior fuse panel? The manual says below the steering wheel and left of the brake. There is nothing there! Gotta love Engineer's!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Welcome to the Forum GelanderDawg.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. On my 2011 Limited the fuse box was visible. However, on my 2014 MKT, there is a large black plastic cover under the dash that makes it hard to see. I have included a picture in previous posts in this thread of the location. Good luck getting at it.

Peter

Great information here. helped find what should be an obvious location.

The person(s) who decided to place the fuse box where it is should be slapped and the person(s) who decided to OK that should be punched in the stomach...

Holy crap is that overly difficult!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Finally found the Fuse Box -- THANKS FORD

Finally found the fuse box on my 2012 Base. Didn't need to replace a fuse, but just wanted to find it and know how to access it in case of emergency.

It's tucked up under the dash a bit and requires a nut driver to remove a plastic trim cover that's under the dash; so much for a quick pop the cover off and replace the fuse.

THANKS FOR HIDING THE FUSE BOX FORD
and making us spend 5+ minutes just getting to it.

Why would a automobile manufacturer "hide" the fuse box on their vehicle? I know they "want" customers to go to the dealership for just about everything nowadays, but to replace a simple fuse, come on FORD, there are better places to to a fuse box than behind a plastic trim piece that is bolted to the underside of the dash.

Did you get an owners manual with your purchase?

There is no way that I'd try to get at it. At least not with someone standing by to help extricate me from the vehicle. :) BTW there is one under the hood as well.
Your thread has been merged with this existing one on where to find it.

Peter

interior fuse box

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT with no courtesy lights working - I have read the posts and just cannot find the interior fuse box - I noticed on everyone that found theirs, they had 2011, could it possibly be in a different spot on the 2013. I read somewhere that you have to take off a cover, which it looks like I have, but then there are also screw/clamps that I don't want to break - this is ridiculous for a user accessible fuse box

There are 2 fuse blocks, one under the DS dashboard and one under the hood.

I will be looking under the dash of my 2016 today. My 2011 does have one that the cover just pops off. I too had the dome light fuse blow.

found it - what a joke - need a ratchet to take the cover off, and THEN be a contortionist to get to the box - VERY POOR DESIGN!!!

There is also one under the hood, but my interior courtesy lights fuse was in the box under the dash - better keep a 7MM
ratchet in the glove box now in case of an emergency. What should have taken 2 minutes, took me an hour by the time I figured out I had to take the under dash cover off to even get to the fuse box

The 2011 is wide open. The 2016 has that shield in place....

Now to see if the constant on 12 vdc is in the same place as in the 2011.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, the power point I used in the 2011 is not there. I guess I need to run a fused wire thru the firewall (in the hood release cable grommet) to power my CB.

Yes CB's are still used (especially by OTR truckers) and yes they are useful.

Back