• Register Today It's free!

doing shocks

no1plantman

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Ok all you Explorer nuts, what's the best shock to install on my Explorer Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KYB GR2 they might be called something else these days. (Excel?) Check the KYB web site.

You'll get many varied opinions on this... but,

I put Monroe Sensa-Tracs all the way around on my 98 4x. Coil overs on the rear. Even did the 5th shock.

Chef Duane
Plano, TX.

I've done Monroe Reflexes and Sensatracs.

The Reflexes were too stiff and made the ride really choppy.

the Senstratracs were a lot better. I've tried both the regular ones, and the load-levelers with the coil helper spring. The ride quality is about the same, so it just depends if you need some extra ride height in the rear or not.

I put a full set of Monroe Sensatracs (including 5th shock) on about 4 years and 50k miles ago. No problems with them at all. Good luck.

I did Monreo Coil-Over sensa-tracks in the rear, and Bilsteins in the front, with a Bilstein 5th shock.

No regrets!

KYB was the original sourced shock when the truck left the factory

Bill

I just installed the kyb gas adjusts. I have always read the mono tube shock is the best.

Unfortunately, I have no comments on ride till I fix my other issue and can start driving it again.

Ranchos up front Monroe load adjusts in the rear

I just installed the kyb gas adjusts. I have always read the mono tube shock is the best.

Unfortunately, I have no comments on ride till I fix my other issue and can start driving it again.

these are what i have on my '01 EB. i'm very happy with them. the ride is firm but not unduly harsh. we've covered the subject of "which shocks" multiple times. seems like everyone has a different opinion.

Monroe Sensa-Tracs. I installed them 12 years/60k mi ago and they still seem fine.

Back