Tow Hook install on 1997 Mercury Mountianeer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook install on 1997 Mercury Mountianeer

wingcmdr

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
So I picked up some tow hooks off a 2001 model Expedition at a pull a part to put on my Merc since I just bought a tow rope 'just cause' 'just to have' ;). Anyways, I paid $5 a piece for the hooks/loops, including the bolts and nut assembly thingamajig. And I'm sorry but I didn't get pics of everything, but I've only done one side so when I do the other side I'll get some more pics.

2nh19vs.jpg

I started by trying to test fit them to see what would have to be modified for them to bolt up. First problem I came across was there were no holes drilled in the frame to mount tow hooks too. So even though it's an Explorer chassis (I think) they didn't drill holes for mounting tow hooks. It also seemed like I'd have to make some spacers to drop it low enough to clear the bumper because I really didn't feel like cutting up my bumper, I was already going to have cut the plastic piece underneath the bumper that surrounds the fog lights (that I also got from the pull a part for $7 a piece).

So I started by marking and drilling some holes in some metal stock I had lying around from trying my hand at knife making.

w6rz82.jpg

5b9ruw.jpg

vpxgkn.jpg

My biggest problem during all this was not having the correct size drill bit and not having a stronger drill. The biggest bit I had was 15/32 and I think I needed 1/2, so I wound up having to wallow out the holes big enough to get the bolts to go through. Also, I apparently suck at drilling holes on center and exactly where I need them lol.

To get the nut bracket things in the frame (trying to save money, hence reusing hardware) I needed to take the bumper off, which was a lot easier than the S10 I had, two bolts on each frame horn for a total of 4. My bumper bolts had some weird looking, almost homemade, washer things welded to them, anybody else run across this?

25s77rn.jpg

Once you get the bumper off you can slide the bolt bracket through the horn and lay it inside the frame, I had to cut mine in half since I can't drill holes for crap and use the two halves separately. Luckily once it was cut in half the halves were long enough hold against the sides of the frame so I didn't have to worry about holding them to bolt the hooks on. One of the little finger grabbing tools that you use to grab dropped bolts and nuts and such is extremely helpful in getting my cut up nut bracket into place, as well as my pinky stuck through one of the side holes of the frame.

Bolted the hook up tight and loosely mounted the bumper, getting one side in the right position and bolting tight then the other side. And even though the bumper is heavy it's not so bad that you can't do this without help or stands. I'm 6'2" and 160lb and did it no problem, using my knees where needed while on my back under the truck. Just slide bolts through the holes on the bumper on one side and then through the frame horns and get the nuts started to hold it on and up while you do the same on the other side.

Once the hook and bumper were bolted up tight and in position, I held the plastic lower piece up to see where I needed to trim it to get it to fit around the hook, then went to work with the dremel and screwed it back into place and I was done!

15wjhbb.jpg

jujvx0.jpg

a07y9c.jpg

I have to go back to the pull a part to get some other stuff for my truck and while I'm there I'm getting another bolt since I messed up the threads on one of them, hence only one hook being installed.
Here's what I've got right now :)

mmsoch.jpg

2ywvkoi.jpg

syt8bc.jpg

:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to do something similar soon to my 2000

I need to do something similar soon to my 2000

It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be aside from the drilling, I was dreading the fact that if have to remove the bumper, but that was the easiest part.

I have tow hooks bolted to my grill guard... but I think I like yours better. May have to make another trip to the salvage yard!

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

I have tow hooks bolted to my grill guard... but I think I like yours better. May have to make another trip to the salvage yard!

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

Thank you! I'm really liking it to and I can't wait to get some spare cash to make another run to the pull a part to finish it up and install the other side.

Update and Helpful Info

Alright, so I made a run to the pull a part over a week ago, finally installed the driver's side tow hook, and decided to do a little research while I was at the pull a part. Figured this info would be helpful if you want options on how to mount your hooks to your X.

Research First:
On a 2008 F-350, here's the type of hooks used and how they're mounted.
1pyzwz.jpg

16a6xbd.jpg

2d7wwvm.jpg

On a 2000 Excursion:
30awaih.jpg

2zs8i7o.jpg

On a 2001 Explorer Sport (thought it weird that it had tow hooks and my mounty didn't, oh well, got that fixed!)
Also, this Ex had the mount welded to the inside of the frame rails and then had a support braket connecting it to the frame horns.
2n0suw6.jpg

20zs3lk.jpg

25stst3.jpg

jqt45j.jpg

5k1w5g.jpg

51zjap.jpg

sc5h5i.jpg

p4tjk.jpg

Install update next

Have never seen those mounts welded like that, that is very cool. Would have made it much easier to install tow hooks if they made all the Ex's like that from the start.

Have never seen those mounts welded like that, that is very cool. Would have made it much easier to install tow hooks if they made all the Ex's like that from the start.
I agree, but then again, why would they put that much thought into it for us?

Sorry for not ever updating this post, I'll be honest, I got so lazy that I forgot it existed haha. But here's the update that I promised.
Here's the other hook, two nut-and-bolt combos, and spacer plate for the other side, all from junkyard except the spacer plate:
fwso06.jpg

Tools used:
25s2x02.jpg

First step is to remove the bumper, 4 nuts, two on each frame mount side, pretty self explanatory. The bumper isn't light, so support it somehow in case it decides to slide out of the mounting flange holes while you're under the truck:
313rpzd.jpg

This one is located directly above the fog light, so depending on your tool selection, it may be easier to just remove the fog light first by it's two upper bolts
kdpoaw.jpg

1zewe54.jpg

xlmgk3.jpg

Once the bumper is off, this is the sight that should greet you, with a little more dirt and rust probably though, these were repainted:
aom61c.jpg

t8m9ll.jpg

I can't remember if I already had one existing hole in the frame, or if i mocked up where I wanted the hook to go before removing the bumper and marked the frame. Anyways, I "mounted" the hook with one bolt just resting through the hole so I could mark where the second bolt would go through the frame at:
10p85zc.jpg

I found it easier to leave the hook mounted by the one bolt and use it as a sort of drill guide since I didn't have the correct size bit or a strong drill:
290tx77.jpg

To get the nut assembly thing into the frame, you will need to turn it sideways and slide it in one of the openings and then I used a parts grabber to flip it right way up, as well as position it in the frame. You can use your finger or a screwdriver or similar tool to hold it down while getting the bolts started in it as they don't like to start without pushing the assembly around:
r76544.jpg

Crappy hole drilled and wallowed out to fit the bolt:
rvg1at.jpg

Because I suck at drilling holes where they are supposed to go, I had to cut the nut assembly in half and use it as individual nuts. I was lucky in that even cut in half, as long as they are held against the bottom of the frame, they are long enough to not spin as you tighten the bolts:
33fcpsl.jpg

And what it looks like after they're on:
260g58p.jpg

For those curious, backside of bumper and bumper mounts, the bolts go through the oblong holes, through the frame horns, then into the buts:
2qtia2s.jpg

14niv4g.jpg

Reinstall bumper and your done!
14m3l1l.jpg

Looks good, I need to get something on the front of my 01 Mounty

Thank you! They look even better now that's it's sitting on a 1" front/2" rear lift and 31s

Looks awesome very clean install too. I went with the front mount hitch on my 96. Has 2 tow hooks built in and I can mount a winch up to a receiver and move it front to back when I get myself stuck. That's of course much more expensive than the route you went, but I got extremely lucky and found one in my local U-pull for 40 bucks.

96%20XLT_zpslncleb5d.jpg

Looks awesome very clean install too. I went with the front mount hitch on my 96. Has 2 tow hooks built in and I can mount a winch up to a receiver and move it front to back when I get myself stuck. That's of course much more expensive than the route you went, but I got extremely lucky and found one in my local U-pull for 40 bucks.

96%20XLT_zpslncleb5d.jpg

I wouldn't mind going that route, if I had a winch to put on the hitch lol

I wouldn't mind going that route, if I had a winch to put on the hitch lol

Harbor freight. Not exactly the one I'd trust but just in case it would help I have one. I actually bought it for my trailer but when I go wheelin I plan on taking it. I'm still working on my setup. My 96 actually doesn't have a rear hitch yet haha but it has a front. Kind of ass backwards at the moment.

Lol. I have a rear hitch. I just bought a hi-lift jack and don't plan on doing anything extreme so the hi-lift should get me out of any little trouble I'd get into. Plus I don't plan on wheeling without a buddy, and I've got a tow strap. Need to get a snatch strap too

Back