2002-2005 Ford Explorer Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 Ford Explorer Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Here it is the long awaited rear wheel bearing replacement video. I think this one turned out well. In this video I walk you through the replacement procedure with tips and tricks learned throughout the years to make the job go smoother. At any rate if you live anywhere in the salt belt of America be prepared for a fight these are the most difficult bearings to change of any Ford I have ever worked on, patience and persistence will get you through.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome post, and deserving of a sticky up top!

I do pretty much everything on my own vehicles, to include transmission and engine swaps. These rear bearings...I paid a local shop to do it and am happy that I did. :cool:

Awesome post, and deserving of a sticky up top!

I do pretty much everything on my own vehicles, to include transmission and engine swaps. These rear bearings...I paid a local shop to do it and am happy that I did. :cool:

Good thinking these are a real job to do.

Very nice demo.
I did the removal/install on both sides, but took the knuckles to a pro to have the bearings pressed.
The first side was relatively easy. The machinist simply pressed it out and pressed the new one in. He took a few minutes to install new e-brake shoes as well. The whole process took maybe an hour, and ~$50.
In hind sight, I didn't think that bearing had actually gone bad yet.

More recently I did the driver's side. The bearing was obviously badly worn. Removal was the same, not too difficult.
However, the bearing was basically fused in the knuckle. It took a LOT of heat and cutting to get it out. Took a couple hrs and cost $100.
I did the e-brake removal/install which was more difficult than I expected. Still not adjusted correctly either.

Nice! I always forget to use my impact gun more.
Wish I'd spun the knuckle on mine before trying to remove the upper ball joint from it. That would have been so much easier.

Ford dealers in my neck of the woods send the hub to a NAPA machine shop to be pressed.

Out of curiosity, how many tons is your press?

Nice! I always forget to use my impact gun more.
Wish I'd spun the knuckle on mine before trying to remove the upper ball joint from it. That would have been so much easier.

Ford dealers in my neck of the woods send the hub to a NAPA machine shop to be pressed.

Out of curiosity, how many tons is your press?

That is supposed to be a 20 Ton Press.

Wow, great job, especially with all of the explanation on the pressing process!

Mike

Wow, great job, especially with all of the explanation on the pressing process!

Mike

Yeah I figured why not since most ask for it although many are not equipt to do the pressing.

Back