Does anyone have Any Pics of A/T tires on 20 or 22 wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone have Any Pics of A/T tires on 20 or 22 wheels?

White14xs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford xsport 401a
preferably the sport model... Stock sport rims or aftermarket.

all the postings i see are all street tires....

common, its a 4x4/awd vehicle.. let see some low profile all terrains or mud terrains! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to see them as well. In fact, I had always thought they didn't even make A/T's in the size we would need for the stock 20" rims. Do they make them?

I would like to see them as well. In fact, I had always thought they didn't even make A/T's in the size we would need for the stock 20" rims. Do they make them?

yes, BFG A/T and Nitto Terra grapplers are made in our size, look up 265/50/20 and ive seen cooper as well.:salute:

this is the closest ive seen but theyre on a range rover, the size is 285-50-20....
69364eb2.jpg

Wonder how the All Terrains would do in the snow?

good reviews on the terra grapplers for snow, quite on the road and good wear....... i love the look of the low profile all terrains tires but no one is sporting them.

Wonder how the All Terrains would do in the snow?

Not too good, as the temperatures drop below 7 deg C or appprx. 44 deg F the A/T tires are stiffer than dedicated snow tires and are not flexible enough for the cold conditions.

Up here in Alberta, every winter I swap out the stock Hancooks or whatever A/T or All Season tires for winter Bridestone Blizzaks or NOKIAN snow tires. I have a set of stock 20" Lincoln MKT rims which fit mu 14 Sport perfectly. No matter what the snow conditions are I have yet to get stuck.

Also on some of the highway systems you will be not allowed to drive on them if you do not have dedicated 'winter tires" lately they are identified with a "snow flake" symbol.

geezerglide

Not too good, as the temperatures drop below 7 deg C or appprx. 44 deg F the A/T tires are stiffer than dedicated snow tires and are not flexible enough for the cold conditions.

Up here in Alberta, every winter I swap out the stock Hancooks or whatever A/T or All Season tires for winter Bridestone Blizzaks or NOKIAN snow tires. I have a set of stock 20" Lincoln MKT rims which fit mu 14 Sport perfectly. No matter what the snow conditions are I have yet to get stuck.

Also on some of the highway systems you will be not allowed to drive on them if you do not have dedicated 'winter tires" lately they are identified with a "snow flake" symbol.

geezerglide

There's a big difference between Alberta, Canada and Baltimore, Maryland. We get a big storm down here about once every 5 years that will drop 12+ inches but most winter storms down here only drop between 2-8 inches of snow. It might snow 3 times a year if we're lucky and even when it does, they get salt on the road either the night before the storm or as soon as it starts. The plows around here are also very good about getting out quick.

It isn't really worth it for me to invest in Winter Tires. A good AWD/4WD vehicle is really all you need around here if you must get out with snow on the ground. My Subaru Legacy with "All Season's" didn't get stuck once during snow storms and my 2008 Explorer Sport Trac with "All Season's" plowed through nearly 2 feet of snow like it was nothing.

That's part of the misconception regarding Winter tires. That they are for snow only. One of their biggest strengths is traction on cold bare roads because the rubber compound remains flexible as geezerglide mentioned. That is why they are no longer referred to as 'snow' tires. If you don't have frequent temperatures below 44 F then you should be okay with so called all-season tires.

Peter

sooo out of the 1k's of peeps here, anyone have any pics?

(Original Poster) Does anyone have Any Pics of A/T tires on 20 or 22 wheels?

:D

These aren't off-road terrain but they are an all terrain with a highway lean.
They are upsized over the regular sport tires so I thought that might give you an idea.

Nitto NT421q 265/50r20

IMG_20141230_132903_zps671d81e4.jpg

IMG_20141230_132907_zpsbaecac3f.jpg

IMG_20141230_132922_zpsce48c8ad.jpg

Back