Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > General Explorations!!

Notices

General Explorations!! Closed to new posts. Place new posts in our new model year appropriate forum

Hauling a Canoe on top

Old 12-10-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
blackbirdxx
Valdosta, GA
97 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Hauling a Canoe on top

Does anyone out there have a canoe that they take around on top of their X? I have a 97 with the factory luggage rack I am looking to take a canoe across the country with. I know Yakima makes a mount (Gunwale) but does this fit on top of the factory crossbars?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
Blee1099
Evil Asian
Elkridge, MD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ask Sunbum.. I know he does alot of kayaking. I'm sure you could, as long as it doesn't weigh more than 200 lbs.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #3
KPT
NC
'95 XL 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I've done it before. Just ratchet strap the front & rear of the canoe to the front & rear bumpers. I also used some foam pieces cut to fit on the gunwhales to keep it from hitting the roof near the windshield.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
V8BoatBuilder
Transplanted Bostonian
East Brunswick, NJ

97 Mountaineer V8 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've carried canoes and kayaks on the stock racks of my 4 door. A short boat can be done with nothing but rope, but for longer boats its best to get foam blocks to elevate the boat off the roof in the front of the truck. Ratchet straps are great. When tieing down, make sure you go to the frame, and stay away from moving suspention parts or hot exhaust pipes.

Racks are nice, but unessecery.

On Road: 2006 VW Jetta TDI/6spd DSG. Fill it with diesel, please.
Octopus Yachts, LLC Engineered Marine Electrical Systems
Old 12-10-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
TheRookie
Traveling SAS guru
West Chester PA

91 explorer xlt

Vehicle Specs

the yakima rack will only fit their cross bars. my friend has it.

Now: 01 TJ 5.3 swap in progress
02 GMC duramax with basic stuff
Old 12-11-2003, 12:06 PM   #6
Fish Man
Marietta, GA
1995 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

agreed. i put our 17' old town on there all the time with ratchet straps and some foam.

1995 XLT 4x4 4.0L TT, AAL, Warrior Shackles, 3" PA body lift, Flowmaster, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7500mp HU, JBL P300.1 pushing a Memphis 10 in a stealth box, JBL BP80.4 running Autotek and MA components in some Q Logic kick panels, 33" BFG Mud Terrains on 15x8 AR-23s.
My (really old) CarDomain Page
Old 12-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
Charlie's_93EB
Cat 3 Hurricane Rated
Venice florida

1993 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

i know the roof rack says 100lbs but, what did you think the max really is, i ask this because i have a fake geeneew, mine is 19' long and 37" wide and i would say 130lbs or so what do you guys think???

Old 12-11-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
JDraper
Somewhat Functional
McVeytown, PA

'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have a 16' broad beam canoe that we put on the roof of my X. I removed the cross bars and put the foam rubber bumpers that you can buy on the canoe gunnels and let it sit on the roof. I then tied the canoe to the roof rack tie downs, the brushguard on the front, and the hitch on the back. Last time, I drove it about 180 miles at highway speeds with no problems at all. Make sure when you tie off the nose and the tail, you tie it in a "V" shape to keep it from moving side to side much.

I didn't use the factory roof rack because I didn't like how high the canoe sat. The closer to the roof it sits, the less air can get underneath it.

"Ex"plorer's: '92 Sport, '94 Sport, '01 XLS
Our Crappy Website
Old 12-22-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
Bwana Bob
Morris Plains, NJ
92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Canoe

I bought some adapters that fit in the roof rack tracks. They were made by a company called Raqadaptour, I think. They allowed me to use Yakima crossbars in the factory tracks. Yakima may make an adapter now that will fit the factory tracks. However the tracks are too short to adequately support the canoe, so I bought a set of the Yakima towers with the rubber pads and clamps that fit inside the doors and grab the rubber rain gutters. This allowed me to put one crossbar right over the driver's seat. Thus, I have 3 crossbars: one up front, one at the extreme rear, and one in the middle. The middle one doesn't actually support the canoe. I strap the canoe to the crossbars, and of course fore and aft, which is what really holds it on.

Bob

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page