Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Torque Converter control solenoid replacement

Old 07-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
Fred Garvin
USA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Torque Converter control solenoid replacement

Last weekend I was able to drop the tranny pan and replace the TCC solenoid.
As described before, the OD light would flash because the TC wasn't locking in. Spent $65 for the Ford guy to diagnose the TCC solenoid. Spend another $70 on the solenoid, and $40 on a new tran screen, gasket, & fluid. All works fine. Upon inspection of the old solenoid, you can see how the end of it was popping out and allowing fluid to pass.
Real easy to do on my 98 Sport SOHC 4WD.
Post of you want more info on this repair.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
jobunn
Elite Explorer
Canyon Country, CA

'99 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the same TC locking problem. I want to change my solenoid as well. Any details/recommendations you could provide would be much appreciated.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
Fred Garvin
USA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Assuming you're handy with tools, it should be fairly easy. Are you sure its the TCC solenoid? My problem was that it wouldn't lock in at less rpms when it was supposed to, mainly at about 50 mph, and then it would slip back & forth in rpms until the OD light came on, and I was stuck running high rpms to do the same high speed. I could reset everything by disconnecting the battery, but it got worse over the months and the TC kept setting off the OD light more frequently.

Get the right replacement solenoid from Ford. Get a new transmission filter/screen & the pan gasket (usually available as a kit)--I suppose this is not REQUIRED but since you're down there, you might as well use a new kit. Also have about 3-5 quarts of new trans fluid to replace the old stuff.
You'll need to drop the front driveshaft in order to remove the trans pan--disconnect the driveshaft at the u-joint in front, and carefully let the driveshaft hang (make sure to mark the shaft and the differential so that you'll know where to re-assemble). Also, the small vent tube will have to be bent/moved out of the way in order to remove the trans pan (remember where it was so you can move it back into place).

Remove the trans pan bolts and try not to spill too much fluid on yourself. Remove the pan carefully--you may have to slide it through some tight spots but if the driveshaft is hanging out of the way and the tube is moved, it WILL slide out. Once the pan is out, clean it up and remove the gunk from the magnet. Also, the pan will hold some more fluid so you're bound to spill more as you slide the pan out.

With the pan off, you'll see 4 small solenoids each connected by small wire leads with black plastic terminals on the bottom of the trans. The TCC solenoid is the one CLOSEST to the front of the vehicle (at least on mine it was anyway--I don't think the 99 sports are too different). You can check at this point whether the new solenoid looks like the one on the trans. CAREFULLY disconnect the wire leads to the TCC solenoid. Then remove the bolt holding the TCC SOLENOID's bracket. Then remove the bolt holding the END (just the one on the end is necessary) of the metal retaining bracket. Once the end of the retaining bracket is loose, you can pull down on it to pull the solenoid clear.

Compare the old solenoid with its replacement. MY new one was slightly different in that it had some small red screens over the holes--I assume this is an engineering improvement over the old solenoid. Also, the problem with the old TCC will be obvious once you inspect the end of it and see how it allows fluid to pass through the worn out end. Put new solenoid in and re-assemble everything.

Be sure to use the new o-rings on the new trans filter/screen--one bolt holds the filter in place. And watch how much you torque the pan bolts when tightening. Bend vent tube back into place; re-assemble front driveshaft, noting that your marks line up.

I started with 3 qts of trans fluid, and then used more until it was full again. Take it easy when starting out again on a test drive to ensure you have enough fluid. Check it often, then take it out on the highway to see if the TC locks properly.

A fairly easy job if you're the handy type, and if indeed it's your TCC solenoid.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
jobunn
Elite Explorer
Canyon Country, CA

'99 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Assuming you're handy with tools, it should be fairly easy. Are you sure its the TCC solenoid? My problem was that it wouldn't lock in at less rpms when it was supposed to, mainly at about 50 mph, and then it would slip back & forth in rpms until the OD light came on, and I was stuck running high rpms to do the same high speed. I could reset everything by disconnecting the battery, but it got worse over the months and the TC kept setting off the OD light more frequently.
That describes my problem EXACTLY.

I did have the dealer replace it once, they said it was a P0741 TCC malfunction. So they replaced "solenoid", the part number was XL2Z-7G136-AA. That worked for maybe a month. So I figure for a few bucks and a days work I'll do it myself and hopefully fix it.

Thanks a lot for the description.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:35 PM   #5
Fred Garvin
USA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Hey jobunn

Have you replaced the TCC solenoid yet?
Old 08-18-2003, 03:21 PM   #6
jobunn
Elite Explorer
Canyon Country, CA

'99 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Hi Fred,

Yes I did change it, but the problem persists. At least I am narrowing it down. Really frustrating because the torque converter problem is exactly as others, like you, that have fixed it with a new TCC solenoid.

I found a TSB on the 5r55e that may be the problem. I am gonna have a tranny guy I know look at it and see if he can find the problem.

"TSB numbered 97-22-4. on the TSB, it says "Some vehicles may experience excessive torque converter slippage, torque converter not engaging, or Diagnostic trouble Code 628 or P0741 stored in memory. This may be caused by damage to the fluid pump support seal and/or to the groove on the pump where the seal is located."

I also have the infamous 2-3 shift surge in my tranny which I am diagnosing, so hopefully I can get them both fixed in one shot.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
jobunn
Elite Explorer
Canyon Country, CA

'99 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

O and thanks for the TCC replacement write up...it helped me and should help others a lot.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:54 AM   #8
Fred Garvin
USA
98 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well sorry that the solenoid didn't fix your problem. Keep us updated.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
Lefy
Elite Explorer
Westchester, NY

98 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC

Vehicle Specs

if the soloniod was shot would it thorw any codes?

also do our trucks have idle control sensors thanks again i'm tring to figure out this problem my trucks slash tranny is haveing from wahat it seems like my troque converter is acting up..
I have it posted up on this thread.
thanks
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=129724

I think myu torque convertor isn't letting the tranny kick down when i decelerate.
I don't have a Od light on at all unless i press my over drive off button on the shifter.

I'm guessing od is overdrive.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
jobunn
Elite Explorer
Canyon Country, CA

'99 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

The vast majority of my tranny issues were fixed with a flasher from SCT, and i thought it was just hardware all this time. The torque converter locks now when it should, no blinking O/D lights, and most of the slipping is gone.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #11
bchess
St Charles, Illinois

1997 xlt

Vehicle Specs

I'd like to try changing out my solenoids. where are they located on the Valve body.
where can I get a schematic of the trannie. my trannie runs fine ontil the shift from 3rd to 4th gear. The o/d light comes on and flashes.

Ive dropped the pan earlier this week and did not find any parts in the bottom of the pan, replaced the fluid, but no change in the shifting problem.
bchess is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page