Only starts with starting fluid but will run on its own | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Only starts with starting fluid but will run on its own

Chadwell1014

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 bronco 2
I have a 90 b2 2.9 5 speed I bought it from a neighbor who replaced the fuel pump and filter it ran for a few days but now it won't start on its own if I spray starting fluid in the intake it will start up and if you let it idle for a few minutes you can drive it but if you let it sit after you turn it off it won't start back up help please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Generally needing starting fluid means its lean. But starting fluid can cover up lots of problems.
Any CEL?

No it ran for a week or to but now it won't start on its own

the first thing I would do is go pick up a fuel pressure tester, harbor freight has them for 29.99(make sure you get good thread sealant for the fittings) and check your fuel pressure when you turn the key on and when it is running. can you hear it prime the system when you turn the key on?

Check the idle speed screw. If its backed out too far, this will be a result. Also ensure that the inertia switch is in fact in the closed position which means that the current and voltage is flowing to the relay, and the fuel pump relay is working properly.
If you seek advice, ask as many questions as you want.

The Idle speed control screw is located on the throttle body, under a black sheild which is retained by two screws
0996b43f802118cb.gif

Yes the fuel pump does come on when the key is on and i will try the fuel pressure when it does run it idled up and down kinda rough

you need to check fuel pressure on startup, it should prime the system to somewhere between 30-40psi when you turn the key to the on position

Ok I will try that if it will not start on its own but will run on its own could that point toward a pressure regulator issue or injectors mabey

Perhaps cracked or broken vacuum hoses? Check the vacuum hoses on the "vacuum taps" that are on the upper intake manifold, and ensure that they are in fact hooked up. One of these lines goes to the back of the fuel pressure regulator. To be exactly honest, I am not very sure what can cause this. But keep posting back, we will find this problem if we keep looking.

I talk to a ford tech today and he said it sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator or bad fuel pump I have fuel to the rail but when I put a pressure gauge on it it reads zero when I press in the schrader valve gas comes out but it doesn't spray just bubbles out

It's a shame this guy never posted back k to see what the problem was. I'm experiencing almost the same exact issue, with my 95 explorer 4x4 v6. Replaced fuel pump, filter, and pressure regulator, and egr relay. Now it gets only 10 psi at the Schrader valve.

It drove fine for a couple days, now only starts with SF, won't stay running, and if I give it any throttle it dies.

Back