• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Gap Question

sarahsdaddy

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I can't believe I have to post for this, but I just picked some Motorcraft SP-500 AGSF22FM plugs for my 2000 Ex SOHC, and the gap spec is .052-.056. I can't find a gap gauge anywhere that goes higher than .045. How do I measure this? I tried to search on info that says they may ship with a certain gap and the best I came up with is one reference to them being .054, but not a reference I'd want to count on. Worst case I can slap them in as is and they'd be a big improvement over the nubs left on the current plugs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a spark gap tool I bought from O'Reilly's that goes to .060

Today's cars need a lager gap due to the increased spark. I don't know why all you can find only goes to .045

I have a spark gap tool I bought from O'Reilly's that goes to .060

Today's cars need a lager gap due to the increased spark. I don't know why all you can find only goes to .045

Hmmm, I guess I'll keep looking. Would be obscene to have to order one and I want to do it this weekend. I was wondering why the Ex was still pinging lightly after I did all the other maintenance and found out why when I pulled a plug. The previous owner spent bucks on some things but skipped the basics.

Never mind, it appears NAPA has a couple that go to .1", hopefully in stock locally.

Hmmm, I guess I'll keep looking. Would be obscene to have to order one and I want to do it this weekend. I was wondering why the Ex was still pinging lightly after I did all the other maintenance and found out why when I pulled a plug. The previous owner spent bucks on some things but skipped the basics.

Yep,the guy I bought the 2000 from kept it really clean but never replaced anything until it started to fall off.:D

Back