• Register Today It's free!

Compatability question

b00stleak

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited Ex
Hey guys, I'm a newb here. Been a lurker for a while. I am just curious about transmission compatibility between an 05 explorer 4.6 and 99 ranger 4.0 ohv. I recently had my Ranger totaled is why I ask. We had replaced the trans and it has 52K miles. I am going to look at an 05 explorer later today with high miles. My main concern is the transmission condition on this one.

Long story short: Will my trans in the Ranger fit in the Explorer? Bellhousing? length?

I was reading that my ranger came with a 5r55e?

Thanks guys

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, I'm a newb here. Been a lurker for a while. I am just curious about transmission compatibility between an 05 explorer 4.6 and 99 ranger 4.0 ohv. I recently had my Ranger totaled is why I ask. We had replaced the trans and it has 52K miles. I am going to look at an 05 explorer later today with high miles. My main concern is the transmission condition on this one.

Long story short: Will my trans in the Ranger fit in the Explorer? Bellhousing? length?

I was reading that my ranger came with a 5r55e?

Thanks guys

Matt

Go to www.fordparts.com and run the VIN# it will tell you what explorer has in it

No it won't fit as far as I know. And I believe that is a 5R55E in the Ranger and a 5R55W in the 05 explorer.

Yea I have discovered that the bellhousings are different, and my explorer came with a 5r55s. Thanks guys.

Yea I have discovered that the bellhousings are different, and my explorer came with a 5r55s. Thanks guys.

can you swap bell housings? my trans has a bolt on bell housing. i am just wondering.

can you swap bell housings? my trans has a bolt on bell housing. i am just wondering.

I will have to check that...If that is the case I will hang onto it...thanks for the info.

did you run the vin to see what type of trans you have?
according to www.fordparts.com you could have 5R55E, 5R55S or a 5R55W.
if its a W or S you cant take bell housing off if it is an E then you can but your Explorer has an extra sensor and the ranger trans will not work.

I've been looking and i am almost positive you have an S in explorer so E will not work. Sorry for bad news.

Back