• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer Head Unit upgrade

mfarlow

Reaction score
City, State
New Hope, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie Bauer V8
So I am starting the process of upgrading my head unit in my 2008 EB V8 with premium audio.

I've already upgraded the speakers, and it's time to get a HU that supports Bluetooth. I've done a lot of stereo installs over the years, but this new vehicle has some features I would like to retain. Things like brake & reverse wiring, steering wheel controls, sub & factory amp, and retained accessory power when the ignition is off. Now I could just use a standard metra wiring harness, but I will lose most of those features.

I was hoping someone could help me build a shopping list of what wiring harnesses and adapters I would need to do the install and retain as many of the factory features as possible.

The factory sub can be retained if you swap it to RCAs, that will plug into the new headunit.
What do you mean by brake and reverse wiring?
Steering wheel controls requires a harness box.
Accessory power when the ignition is off may or may not work, depending on the radio.

Thanks, I was able to find out the harnesses required.

First thing required is the PAC C2R-FRD1 Radio Replacement Interface for Ford. This provides you with a wiring harness that will plug into the stock harness. It supplies retained accessory power, giving you 10 minutes of power after the ignition is turned off.

It will also give you the following leads:
- VSS (for navigation)
- Reverse Light (for navigation)
- Parking Brake (for navigation)
- Sub RCA's (use this if you have the factory sub)
- Rear entertainment RCA's (use this if you have the rear entertainment center)
- Aux jack RCA's (use this if you have an 1/8" AUX jack)
- Illumination (dimmer)
- Power amp turn on (use if you have amplified audiophile system)

Next if you want to retain the steering wheel controls you will need the PAC SWI-RC or SWI-X (depending on if your head unit has a 1/8" input jack or just bare leads. This harness ties into the white/green wire of the C2R-FRD1 and supplies either a jack or leads to your head unit.

Lastly you will need a Metra 40-CR10 Chrysler 2002 Antenna Adapter Cable. Don't let the Chrysler fool you, this works just fine with the explorer.

I'm still looking for a decent dash kit that works well. I tried the Metra 95-5812 Double DIN Installation Kit, but I wasn't real happy with the fit it provided. First off it left gaps between the dash kit and the dash. Next it recesses the head unit back pretty far into the dash, making it look weird. And finally it covers over a significant portion of the actual head unit, so if you have a motorized panel, it will never be able to open properly. I might just try to find a universal double din kit, and try and fabricate something on my own.

Back