Is an Aerostar 8.8 carrier the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is an Aerostar 8.8 carrier the same?

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
As a ford explorer 8.8 carrier? Reason I'm asking is I'm looking for a open 3.73 so am thinking about the potential donor rigs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks brooklyn, i'm going to head to the parts yard today and if I see one I"m gonna grab it.

Here's my dilema, I've got a LS 3.73 rear and am wanting to lock it. Either I buy the $430 dollar lock rite or I convert to a open rear and buy the $235 dollar one on ebay.. Guess I'm not sure what the cheapest best for the future route is.

Thanks Brooklyn, that's a good idea. As much fun as it sound converting a rear end might be better to just go with the LS locker. Do you see any downside to doing that?

Post # 2. LOL, I looked but I'm now sure where post # 2 is.

It's one of those things.. Summit wants $510 bones for the LS locker, seen it listed for $430 a few times at misc online places. I can get a carrier for $50. Not sure if I'd need the pinion to match it. Then there's labor or tools to get it installed.

The what not to do thread! LOL! Don't drink beer, don't have a large sledge nearby.. What other downfalls do I have when working on things : )

The what not to do thread! LOL! Don't drink beer, don't have a large sledge nearby.. What other downfalls do I have when working on things : )

Don't throw tools when you get really pissed off. :p: :D

I've busted up a few cheap ratchets, they stopped working and instead of warranteeing them(harbor freight) I just smash them up on the concrete.. LOL!

You could rebuild your LS for less than $70.

Switch one of the spacer plates with your best used clutch plate and you'll get a really tight LS (the way they are supposed to work), almost locked!:thumbsup:

How long would it last Albino? How would on pavement driveability be? Would I need to use the conditioner? Sounds like a super cheap way to get some traction..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm coming up on 1 year and she's still pretty tight.

Road manners are great. You'll detect a slight 'push' on slow speed corners (like turning from a stop) but that's it.

Yes, use the friction modifier and synthetic gear lube.

Have fun with the 'S' spring!!!!

Instructions are here;

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech018.htm

Edit; yes this can be done with the carrier still in the diff. 2-3 hrs or less!

Back